Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #1

While driving my new Seabreeze Workhorse last week Chassis towing my Ford Ranger I received a warning to "check trans temp". I am a little surprised since I've been told how bullet proof this allison 5 speed is supposed to be. The warning comes on while climbing a grade with the outside air temp around 95F. Does anyone out there have any experience with this? I couldn't figure out how to check the trans temp so I'm not sure what to do about this warning
R Brownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #2

While driving my new Seabreeze Workhorse last week Chassis towing my Ford Ranger I received a warning to "check trans temp". I am a little surprised since I've been told how bullet proof this allison 5 speed is supposed to be. The warning comes on while climbing a grade with the outside air temp around 95F. Does anyone out there have any experience with this? I couldn't figure out how to check the trans temp so I'm not sure what to do about this warning
Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
R Brownlow, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. First you will want to verify that the fluid level is proper. If you do not have a transmission temperature gage on the dash and you get this warning, you could pull the transmission dip stick and shoot the tip with a temperature tester. Turning off the dash air conditioner will also help reduce the heat load while climbing the grade. Good luck and let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:16 AM   #4

The Allison is bullet proof EXCEPT overheating. I have found that in most cases the transmission, being cooled by the heat exchanger in the lower radiator tank, respondes to engine temperature. What was the engine temperature when the transmission light was on? It could be a defective transmission overheat sensor and Wizards idea of "shooting" the transmission dipstick with an infra red thermometer is a good on. These units can be purchased almost anywhere auto tools are sold for under a hundred buck and are well worth the bucks. It is possable that the engine cooling fan is not working correctly allowing the engine temp to come up, but not to the danger point, and heating rather than cooling the transmission fluid.

Brad & Lucy aka The Geezer & The Hedgehog
1990 Foretravel Detroit Deisel spinning and Allison
Kitty Kat Earl
Whitery Ford the Explorer riding on the car trailer
ASE Master technician
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #5

Well, thanks for those suggestions. I've been looking for an excuse to buy an infared tester. But if I shoot it what is an acceptable temp range? And what makes that a good indication of the actual working temp?

I probably won't have this problem again until next summer. I think the eng temp was normal but again there is no way to actually read the temp. The needle was in the same place throughout the trip- slightly less than half way across the dial. This was a 4000 mile trip in two weeks. And it happened when going across the CA desert and climbing out of ABQ on I-40 at high outside air temp.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R Brownlow:
While driving my new Seabreeze Workhorse last week Chassis towing my Ford Ranger I received a warning to "check trans temp". I am a little surprised since I've been told how bullet proof this allison 5 speed is supposed to be. The warning comes on while climbing a grade with the outside air temp around 95F. Does anyone out there have any experience with this? I couldn't figure out how to check the trans temp so I'm not sure what to do about this warning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the same warning message under almost the oposite condition. I was decending a 6-7% grade in low gear with the A/C on, approximately 25 MPH, OAT in the high 90's. I concluded my RPM's were too high, moving too slowly and the A/C was on. Upshifted, increased my speed to 30MPH and turned off the A/C, light went off in about 1 mile. I checked the fluid and it doesn't smell burnt.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look into a ScanGauge II and you'll know to the degree what the water temp is and the new ones may work with your Allison for trans temp also. It will also give you much more additional info.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
R Brownlow... you didn't say what your toad is, how much it weighs, etc. Likewise what speed were you going when this happened. If you were traveling pretty slow while acsending the grade it could have been not enough air was through the coolers, especially at 95F. Also if you're overloaded or not makes a big difference. Lot's of things to check including how new your Seabreeze is. If it's still brand new with very low miles things will be pretty stiff in both the engine and transmission.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the first things I did when I purchased our Sea Breeze was to install a tranny temp guage. Very useful. The pan temp usually runs about 160. When pulling up hill, it goes to 180 -190. If it reaches 200, I pull over and let things cool down. I consider a warning light as "too late", and have never triggered oneyet.
psyflyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #10

Welcome to IRV2. Come on over to the National RV Owners Forum and get acquainted. Lots of good folks with good info.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote