Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #1

2006 Kodiak Duramax tuning

I'm wondering if anyone has tuned their Duramax in the Kodiak C5500 and what kind of results they got out of it? I know more about tuning power strokes and Cummins in pickups. This is my first Duramax. I don't want anything radical. It would be interested in helping it pull a little bit better. My 34 MH is around 19k loaded. No tow vehicle yet but plan to soon.

I'm thinking about adding a pyro and boost gauge in the dash blanks. Any other gauges for the tuned Duramax that would be beneficial?

Also looking at either a PPE programer or having a tuning friend do a custom tune on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might want to read the following thread. The Feds are going after the people providing deletes and tuning. Will you have a problem with inspections?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/def-...te-496891.html

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You might want to read the following thread. The Feds are going after the people providing deletes and tuning. Will you have a problem with inspections?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/def-...te-496891.html

Ken
Thanks, my duramax diesel is pre-def/dpf. Not looking for any emission deletes just simple tow style tuning.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only thing I did on our 2007 Jayco Seneca 33ss, was the egr mod.
Disconnected egr tube from turbo inlet and ran it overboard to a catch can.
Keeps the turbo clean, and boy was ours dirty when we did it.
Cleaned up the turbo blades with carb cleaner.

Mike in Colordao
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #5

In our 06 Seneca we have a tune developed by John at Kennedy Diesel in WI. It requires watching the pyro at times. But is very usable and does not come on super strong so axle twisting is not probable. Can't support it with data but i think mpg is improved over stock. No black smoke! If you are PS and Cummins savy you know you will need a pryo with or without a tune.

Call John and talk to him he knows a lot about the Dmax series. He can also enable 6 gears on some of the 5 speeds...i did not have mine done as it is fairly expensive, i would have no control to keep it 5th, and i drive about 62mph so i didn't see where is would be of that much value.
SAM6308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #6

Have used these guys on a 04 and 07 Duramax. Big improvements.
https://www.bankspower.com/c-50-prod...zMI-CYpWPP5rKX
Old 10-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #7

The best thing you can do for your Duramax is add a liftpump to the fuel system. Thru 2016 Dmax only uses the injector pump to suck the fuel from the tank & sometimes it just can't send enough to injectors so slight power loss. My 2012 runs so much better with this addition.
My 12 has the CP4 injector pump & my 03 I think had the CP3 but either way add the fuel pump then see if you really need a tune.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKodiak View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has tuned their Duramax in the Kodiak C5500 and what kind of results they got out of it? I know more about tuning power strokes and Cummins in pickups. This is my first Duramax. I don't want anything radical. It would be interested in helping it pull a little bit better. My 34 MH is around 19k loaded. No tow vehicle yet but plan to soon.

I'm thinking about adding a pyro and boost gauge in the dash blanks. Any other gauges for the tuned Duramax that would be beneficial?

Also looking at either a PPE programer or having a tuning friend do a custom tune on it.
I had 3 tuned trucks with duramax motors , they all made great trucks for towing not race cars. the best option in my opinion is Kennedy diesel in Wisconsin . John owns his own dyno and doesn't build race tunes for the most part. I would only suggest a live EFI tune on a plug in add on tuner. As for your buddie doing a tune , I would pass unless he has tuned hundreds of tow tunes and has done testing to control EGT. towing heavy and race type tunes is NEVER a good idea! good air filter and free flowing exhaust with a mild tow tune can easy produce 150 foot lbs more TQ and maybe 40~70 hp and still keep your EGT to under 1350* pre turbo. Strait though muffler and a turbo back exhaust of 3~4" sill help reduce the EGT.