RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #29

Actually the 7.3L engine was phased out in dec of 2003 and the 6.0 was installed till 2006 in pickups and 2010 in vans.. Some late model 2003's were fitted with either 7.3L ( mine is build date of sept '03 and have a 7.3L) or the 6.0L and in Jan '04 all truck were fitted with the 6.0L..

I am not claiming that EVERY one that got a 6.0L engine had issues. but the major majority did.. if you check out carcomplaints.com or other forums, the amount of post with issues on the 6.0 are hugh.. Lawsuits were filed and ford lost a lost of long time customers to GMC/Chev and Dodge because of this.

the big problem was the 6.0 was fitted with EGR, for emissions, and it would clog up due to the passages being engineered TOO SMALL.. among other issues, that would create a problem that could result in a expensive repair bill..

morele of the story is not everything that is engineered is correct.. they cut corners at times to save weight and or cost. The perfect built engine would cost 20K by it self and to put the the perfect drive train and perfect body the truck would retail for 150K.. not many would sell so they cut cost.

you are correct you can't debate emotion but you can debate know problems.. and the 6.0 is full of them.. by the time they stop production in '10 most,, but not all, the issues had been mostly resolved..

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
If you are looking for a perfect truck, it will be a long search. None exist that I am aware of and if it did exist it would not be affordable. I don't believe the claim that every 7.3L from 03 to 05 were all disaster's, this where emotion is overriding logic and you can't debate emotion!

carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #30

what year was your 6.0?? I have heard the 06 yr, the last year of that engine, a lot of the issues had been worked out and it was a strong running some what dependable engine that was nicely appointed and had a great ride.

The first 2-3 yrs were the worst with thousands or more of vehicles having issues. Dealership garages were overflowing with warranty work with some guy truck in for 2-4 months to get repairs done.

my 7.3L is a 2003 and at it best I beleive.. I know some of the older models did have issues but the difference between 6.0 and 7.3 durability are still wide considering teh 6.0 was only out for 4 yrs and the 7.3 for 10 or more..

with this post i am now OUT.. peace brothers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I had a 6.0 Ford and it was one of the best trucks i ever owned. A sensor went bad and was replaced twice in the 100k miles i drove it. I had 2-7.3 Fords that stranded me. When buying a vehicle you roll the dice to see if you got a winner or loser.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #31

My 6.0 was a 2007 and the 7.3ís that stranded me were both 97ís.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
My 6.0 was a 2007 and the 7.3ís that stranded me were both 97ís.
The 2007 6.0 was the best they did for sure. If I could find one it might be something to look at. As for the 97 7.3. That was not a great year or yrs till the 2000 to 2003 yrs.

The 6.0 I hear is a pulling beast with a allison quality transmission

Tags
advice