Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #15

Many people recommend just removing the factory fuel filter if using a FASS setup. They make a kit to block off where the old fuel filter was.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucBill View Post
Karmen your welcome, also you might want to read up on the fuel filter comparison test on the Duramax forum done by AlisoBob titled The D-Max 2019 Filter Shootout... PT 2 !
Very interesting results.
Thanks Duc, that new Wix filter I put on it is gonna come right off now. Looks like the genuine AC Delco is the way to go. I also see some guys get the Fass setup, but use Cat 2 micron filters. Anybody do that ?
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Thanks Duc, that new Wix filter I put on it is gonna come right off now. Looks like the genuine AC Delco is the way to go. I also see some guys get the Fass setup, but use Cat 2 micron filters. Anybody do that ?

Maybe somebody knows better, but I was informed that WIX supplied the Delco filter and other than the box, the WIX filter is made on the same process line with the same specs. If you go with a lower micron filter, you may have injector pump issues.
You can spend $$ upgrading the filter and add a pump, but GM engineers knew what they were doing and the Duramax was built for 17 years before a pump was added and they have a solid history backing the design. As a retired auto engineer, just becareful when you begin to re-engineer a system, like a motor. Alot of testing went into that (any) motor and changes may have negative impacts later on.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Maybe somebody knows better, but I was informed that WIX supplied the Delco filter and other than the box, the WIX filter is made on the same process line with the same specs. If you go with a lower micron filter, you may have injector pump issues.
You can spend $$ upgrading the filter and add a pump, but GM engineers knew what they were doing and the Duramax was built for 17 years before a pump was added and they have a solid history backing the design. As a retired auto engineer, just becareful when you begin to re-engineer a system, like a motor. Alot of testing went into that (any) motor and changes may have negative impacts later on.
Thank you Grind. I read that the Ford diesel uses the same CP4 pump, but it experiences far fewer failures because it has a lift pump and the Duramax does not. So I went ahead and ordered the Fass today with the high performace heating element. Yea it was a lot of money,but I'm going to keep this diesel and want the best for it. The Fass puts out 10 psi of pressure which I think should be a positive thing, but like you say, I'm not an engineer,
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #19

Yes, it's a lot of money but it appears to be very well built. I got the FASS 95 because I'm not going to hop it up. Very quiet. I feel better about the CP4. I've got 135,000 miles on mine and it purrs like a kitten. Just had to replace the number one glow plug. Easy job. These engines should go for several hundreds of thousands of miles. I'm keeping mine until it falls apart.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Now that I'm getting up to speed on these issue's, I'm going to do the Fass pump filter setup too. I almost ordered it on Amazon, but some buyer warned that Fass will not warrant any system bought on Amazon.
The new lift pumps from Fleece performance are the best option out. They install in the factory pickup hole in about 10 minutes. No sump required and pulls fuel to the bottom of the tank. Lifetime warranty. A fantastic improvement over the Fass and Air dogs. Do yourself a favor and check them out for yourself.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
The new lift pumps from Fleece performance are the best option out. They install in the factory pickup hole in about 10 minutes. No sump required and pulls fuel to the bottom of the tank. Lifetime warranty. A fantastic improvement over the Fass and Air dogs. Do yourself a favor and check them out for yourself.
Wow, you disconnected the driveline and dropped the tank in 10 minutes? You're the man!
Old 01-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
Wow, you disconnected the driveline and dropped the tank in 10 minutes? You're the man!
Yes- I am the man!

I assume that others here are men too, and understood what I was describing. I will add the following disclaimer for the ladies.

I can drop the tank in about 10. But installing a Fass or Airdog can take up to a few hours, especially if installing a sump. Mounting brackets and repositioning fuel lines ect.

The Fleece unit just drops in and connect the factory line. Connect power and done. No frothing of your fuel and no 1/4 tank needed. It is truly a step beyond in design.

Also I will add I consider the CP4 like a timing belt-swap by 150k or risk catastrophe. You can replace a working CP4 for about $1900. If it fails it will be about $9000. For those that are bothered by its limitations about $4800 will get you converted to a CP3.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #23

There seem to be alot of wild claims and paranoid concerns on this post. Is everyone taking their medicine as prescribed?
Old 01-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #24

I was joking a bit as I assumed wagonmaster was as well. Inflection is lacking in the written word and I guess can come across as less than good natured-I can assure you it was.

The info on the pump is 100% accurate though.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
I was joking a bit as I assumed wagonmaster was as well. Inflection is lacking in the written word and I guess can come across as less than good natured-I can assure you it was.

The info on the pump is 100% accurate though.
Of Course I was joking around. This is a good place to start your trip down the trail of due diligence. Education and investigation will get you the best option for your situation and mechanical abilities. I think we can agree that a lift pump might be a good thing to consider.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #26

that is funny in a way and i understand your point.. but you might want to ask all the people that bought the ford 6.0L engine truck in 2003 till 2005.. what a disaster for all..

SO with that said and currently having a '03 7.3L and looking to upgrade in a couple year have been leaning between the GMC duramax or the Ram Cummings engine.

In doing some looking around it appears the cummins is king but the non aisen transmission is the issue with them and on the GMC/chev side injectors and DEF issues.. so who fricken know what is a good one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
that is funny in a way and i understand your point.. but you might want to ask all the people that bought the ford 6.0L engine truck in 2003 till 2005.. what a disaster for all..

SO with that said and currently having a '03 7.3L and looking to upgrade in a couple year have been leaning between the GMC duramax or the Ram Cummings engine.

In doing some looking around it appears the cummins is king but the non aisen transmission is the issue with them and on the GMC/chev side injectors and DEF issues.. so who fricken know what is a good one..

If you are looking for a perfect truck, it will be a long search. None exist that I am aware of and if it did exist it would not be affordable. I don't believe the claim that every 7.3L from 03 to 05 were all disaster's, this where emotion is overriding logic and you can't debate emotion!
Old 02-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #28

I had a 6.0 Ford and it was one of the best trucks i ever owned. A sensor went bad and was replaced twice in the 100k miles i drove it. I had 2-7.3 Fords that stranded me. When buying a vehicle you roll the dice to see if you got a winner or loser.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice