Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #1

3500HD-Max LB CC DRW "shocks"?

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } OK so I’ve got enough miles on the OEM shocks that I’m “considering” replacing them.
We have no complaints with the original OEM shocks. Granted they may not even be worn out but really have no way of measuring response. We do tow heavy though.
My instinct is to always want to go improved after- market products, but, so much hype hype.
The truck is so well engineered thus far I’m not convinced I can improve anything.
I once put some premium Monroe shocks on a previous truck that I did not feel were any improvement.
I’m eyeing the Bilstein 4600 series which aren’t cheap. I've not priced the OEM's yet.

We surely do not want any firmer ride bob-tail. The rig sits perfectly level, barely squats and in. with the nearly 4K# pin. We do not go off road, stock 4x4 height, we are within our optimal weight range per CAT Scale tickets. It would be just my luck that the OEM’s are better units? LOL

Any recommends?
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

I used to tow with an 02 Chevy Duramax dually, LB, CC, 4x4 truck. I replaced the OEM shocks once, they failed within 2 years. I then went to Sears automotive and had them install Rancho lifetime warranty shocks, I now forget whether they were 5000 or 9000 model.
That initial set of Rancho shocks began to fail, returned to a Sears automotive store and with no questions they ordered 4 new ones. Those were still doing their job when I sold the truck 4 years later.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the input, I'm thinking the Rancho 9000 models have a ratcheting adjustment on the top for firmness settings 1-6?
Yeah, I'm still on the fence on this shock issue. Fortunately nothing is really broken but seems shocks tend to loose their dampening gradually.
I'm thinking the truck builders are using slightly better OEM models than decades ago? The new truck(s) sure do ride better.
Builders do have the option of trying many suspension combos on a test track environment.
There are so many claimed improvements with every after model shock offered. Compounded by all the mods. some make to lifted / lowered trucks. Some even choose them by their flashy appearance, . Hard to make an objective comparison.
There is only one situation we would want a firmer dampening effect and that would be towing at highway speed over a bridge transition or railroad crossing. That doesn't happen enough to want to endure the other 97% of the time riding like a buckboard wagon.

Still researching.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #4

I put Bilstein 4600 on front and 5100 on rear of my 08 3500 DRW in March replacing the OEM shocks that were shot. Rides smoother both bob tailed and towing.
Halmfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halmfamily View Post
I put Bilstein 4600 on front and 5100 on rear of my 08 3500 DRW in March replacing the OEM shocks that were shot. Rides smoother both bob tailed and towing.
Hey, thanks for the input. Interesting, Why did you decide to mix them up?
I have read were the 4600 and 5100 are valved the same, with the 5100 having a slightly longer extended length to accommodate leveled or slightly lifted trucks.
Are you satisfied with the ride? Granted the OE can wear out gradually.
Curious if you tow what your pin weight is?
I really only have one complaint which is at expressway speed over a bridge transition or RR track, I get perhaps a slight second rebound from the truck rear axle. Nothing extreme but it seems it could use a tad more rebound valving. Perhaps I'm expecting to much. A rare occurrence over all it's a pretty good ride.

Be well.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:43 AM   #6

Our truck has 123000 miles and we tow our fifth wheel right at 14600 lbs. I had what you are talking about the double bounce going over abutments. I went with 5100's on the rear per a recommendation of my mechanic, he said the truck sits higher in the rear and will help when loaded. The ride is night and day different from the OEM.
Our OEM had zero rebound left in them, I was amazed how bad they were since it was a gradual loss of absorption with no loss of oil from the shocks.
Took about three hours to install all four shocks, taking longer to place jacks and remove wheel well liners.
Best price I found was on Amazon.
Halmfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #7

My suspension guy recommended the Bilstein shocks.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #8

I have a '16 Duramax and tow an 11,000 lb TT. I had problems with bridge transitions and large undulations. At 12,000 miles I installed Bilstein 4600's front and rear. The OEM front shocks no longer had a gas charge. The 4600's cured the problem and they ride better than stock when not towing. They especially ride better when not towing with 80psi in the tires. I no longer feel the need to air down when running empty when we're on a trip. I agonized over which shocks to use, finally called Bilstein and talked to their tech. Unless lifted, he recommended 4600's. I'm more than happy with my choice.
Chiefblueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #9

KZ RV Club
I have 5100 on my '15 GMC 3500 DC DA SLT DRW and would strongly recommend Bilstien 5100s I pull a Fuzion 375 which has a empty weight of 14,500 and usually goes down the road mid 15k#s. I installed at approximately 40k miles made truck feel like it had a 2-3" cushion before getting into tighter valving but still maintaining control of ride much better than stock.FWIW I had Bilstein 4100s on my '05 Chevy 2500 LT DA CC which pulled a '05 KZ New Vision 37 which weighed approx. 14K#s loaded both trucks have/had Air Ride 5k# Air Bags installed the 4600s IMHO were a slight improvement over stock. YMMV
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

Bilsteins were the OEM shocks for the off road package back in 2001 when I bought mine. 125K mi and still good. My previous truck I replaced the same shocks at about 200Kmi; Bilstein has a lifetime warranty and honored it.

IMHO the only shocks to get are Bilsteins, Koni, and Penske, and Penske's aren't affordable for street applications.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks