Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:05 AM   #1

Additives

Does anyone put any kind of additives in their fuel to help fight carbon build-up?

I see guy's putting 2 stroke oil in, and wonder what that actually does.

thanks
05springdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy clean fuel keep it clean (This advice used to be printed on the gas cap for International Harvester (Farmall) Tractors).

Seriously the 2-cycle oil trick is one I have heard of .. 50 years ago, and it was proven to be a poor idea back then.

Chevy does produce an additive that might help Fuel Additives
That is really about the only one I can think of....

But modern computer controlled engines the problem is not nearly as bad as in days of old when folks where bold and automotive engine control computers were all analog and mechanical.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I have a 2012 and the manual recommends against using them...

Notice: Diesel fuel or fuel
additives not recommended in
this manual could damage the
fuel system and
engine. Your warranty would not
cover this damage.

Diesel fuel that has been
mixed with engine oil or automatic transmission fluid could damage the engine and emission controls.

We do not test aftermarket
diesel fuel additives. Some
additives, particularly those
which contain alcohol or
water emulsifiers, could
damage the fuel system.
If you believe that unique
circumstances call for a fuel
additive to be used, consult
your dealer for advice.
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #4

You might find this diesel fuel additive study interesting. You will note everything beginning at #13 tested worse than the baseline diesel fuel with no additive.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use 2 stroke oil in my Duramax but that is because it an LB7.The first gen D-max has injector issues and this is the only reason I use it.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05springdale View Post
Does anyone put any kind of additives in their fuel to help fight carbon build-up?

I see guy's putting 2 stroke oil in, and wonder what that actually does.

thanks
Additives are not going to help with carbon buildup, But what will help is reroute the PVC system to dump overboard instead on into the turbo horn, I did the reroute mod at 40k and the horn was covered with oil. Additives will help with lubricity in the cp3/cp4 and injectors, as the standard for diesel lube at the refinery is supposed to be constant, but I would bet it is not station to station that is why I add at every tank fill up.

2014 4x CC LML EFI tuned by me
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #7

Never use an additive unless you like to waste money, It is amazing at how many people think they know more than the engineers who design their vehicle. Follow the owners manual and you should have no problems.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Cat

Have read some articles that oil in fuel will damage newest common rail injectors.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew18 View Post
Never use an additive unless you like to waste money, It is amazing at how many people think they know more than the engineers who design their vehicle. Follow the owners manual and you should have no problems.
I guess the engineers knew what they were designing when they did the LB7 injection system, you are lucky if the injectors last 70k, and did you know BOSCH told GM that a lift pump was required on the 6.6 but the engineers said no. Dodge runs the same CP pump and they never have the issues GMs have, go figure.... Did you also know every single HD truck off the GM assy line is 1 QT low on gear oil?? this saves the company millions but I guess they know since they designed it to run this way. prob the reason every single HD truck has a leaking rear axle bearing seal...

2014 4x CC LML EFI tuned by me
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

What about older (1996) engines not designed for running the newer leaner fuels? Have been told by various truckers use a good additive or have lube problems. Any thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Joe PLAZEK
Ontario Canada
Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #11

Use Stanadyne every tank. Helps the injectors and pump. Recommended by my mechanic. 135k going strong.

Gary
gwlaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #12

I use Power Service in the white bottle.
billandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #13

Stanadyne is the only additive that won't void GM warranty. It also is a demulsifier, that is it will not allow water to pass through the filter. Cheap insurance in my opinion. The cp3 and injectors can set you back quite a bit. 145k and still going strong.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been debated on here many times. I have never used additives in my DMAX and don't plan on putting any in my CAT.
It boils down to whose hype you buy into. None of my engines burn oil and they run like a well tuned clock.