Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:38 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Dexos ll

Are there any alternatives anyone is aware of? A lot of oil change places don't carry it. Also want to keep the warranty alive for a year and a half.

Thanks all
Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #2

Dexos 1 is full synthetic optimized for GM gas engines. Dexos 2 is full synthetic optimized for diesels.
Go to your local parts chain store and look at the label of the full synthetics from ACDelco, Mobil 1, Valvoline and even online at Amazonbasics. The label will tell you if it meets Dexos 2 requirements.
Other brands like Castrol and Motorcraft meet Ford's synthetic requirements, which are very similar, though not identical, to Dexos.
In a pinch, any of those full synthetics can be used for the other as long as you stick with correct viscosity, but to maintain the warranty, stick with your specified type.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:04 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
As long as you use an oil that meets the specs of the manufacturer, you won't void the warranty.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Are there any alternatives anyone is aware of? A lot of oil change places don't carry it. Also want to keep the warranty alive for a year and a half.

Thanks all
Mike
What YMM vehicle? The one in your signature? If so, do NOT use Dexos2, it requires DexosD. It may look and feel similar, but I would not chance it. I suspect an engine replacement will be 20k or more and not covered if using incorrect oil and filter.

Here's the official approved list as of current date. Slim pickings. https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexosd/index.html#

Why on earth would you want to use an "oil change place" or quicky lube on a truck like this? Heck, GM dealers were bending over backwards offering cheap LOF jobs. This may have changed over the past 2 years though.

I'm a mechanic, and I will not let just anyone pour brand X oil in my vehicles.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:18 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
oil

I take my truck to the dealer for oil changes. I was using the oil change place as a for instance. Your chart shows what oil is acceptable to Dexos, So if I find a place where such product are during travels I will use them. Being a "mechanic" I would think you would do your own services at the shop you work at.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:56 PM   #6

Little more

dexos® Licensed brands | General Motors
There are many authentic licensed dexos ® products readily available at retail outlets, service repair shops, quick lube operations, and GM service centers. dexos ® licensed products are easy to identify. Simply look for the dexos ® icon on the front label and the 11 digit alphanumeric dexos ® license number on the back label.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I take my truck to the dealer for oil changes. I was using the oil change place as a for instance. Your chart shows what oil is acceptable to Dexos, So if I find a place where such product are during travels I will use them. Being a "mechanic" I would think you would do your own services at the shop you work at.
I travel too. Last long 16 000km trip I changed my own oil "sans" filter in a state campground. I didn't want to chance anything, and felt it was safer to prolong the filter until we got home than to let someone use cheap substandard oil.

I own my repair shop, so as long as I have it and have the physical ability I'll do it myself. That may change soon though.

Sure, if you find a shop that has one of the approved oils, fine. Make sure they use a quality filter to go along with it. The thing is, "oil changes" by themselves just don't exist. There's always a wee bit of supplementary maintenance and preventive checks to be performed. I haven't done an "oil change" in 15+ years.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:33 PM   #8

Most places that perform oil changes also do " supplementary maintenance and preventive checks" for the same simple reason the dealers do them, Look for something we can sell. Free tire rotations are there so once the wheels and tires are off they look at brakes, shocks, and suspension.
Somewhat of a mechanic, parts counterman, service writer, brake and suspension warehouse manager 50+ years.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:12 PM   #9

I quit going to the dlr when they charged $25 for shop supplies on an oil change. The place i go to has been in business several years with a great reputation and most likely has insurance for if and when they screw up. Once they told me they could not do the oil change as they did not have the correct oil for my Ram 6.4, they have earned my trust.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I quit going to the dlr when they charged $25 for shop supplies on an oil change. The place i go to has been in business several years with a great reputation and most likely has insurance for if and when they screw up. Once they told me they could not do the oil change as they did not have the correct oil for my Ram 6.4, they have earned my trust.
I'll admit, some places can be pretty greedy. The large corporate ones with multiple locations appear worse. 25$ is a lot, I will sometimes charge 2-3$ for brake cleaner on the ones that drain the filter over 1/2 the engine compartment.

I'm an indy shop, and I would recommend myself.

The important thing is having someone with experience and current knowledge to spot potential issues. It's important that they have access to and consult OEM maintenance schedules and fluid specs. Some indy shops are even better than the dealer is.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:42 PM   #11

I had a couple of businesses and the state tax commission actually got me started with charging for shop supplies and taxing that portion of the wo, that way we could by the supplies in bulk tax exempt. Like yourself i only charged a few dollars for shop supplies. $25 on a $100 oil change is out of line so they no longer get any of my business.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:42 PM   #12

Just go to your local WalMart tell them what brand oil filter you want and Shell Rotella synthetic oil. You can even get the oil off the shelf yourself and give to them
Save a lot of money. They can’t void your warranty for not have it done at the dealership
kyfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfarmboy View Post
Just go to your local WalMart tell them what brand oil filter you want and Shell Rotella synthetic oil. You can even get the oil off the shelf yourself and give to them
Save a lot of money. They can’t void your warranty for not have it done at the dealership
Worst advice ever! 1st off, Shell does not currently have an oil meeting dexosD specs, and I'm not even sure they make a 0W20 diesel oil.

2nd: why would anyone let somebody with zero to no experience touch their 60k rig? I haven't seen many Walmarts hire master technicians and pay them 40$/hr or more. You really want that kid scraping by just over minimum wage wrenching on your vehicle? You'll get what you paid for.

While an "oil change" (I call them services) may seem like the most mundane maintenance, it's where a lot of important boo-boos are caught.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:38 AM   #14

Dexos ll

I’m referring to the L5P-v8 duramax, powerstroke & cummings
Shell Rotella is in spec
Don’t know about your location, but my Walmart guys have been the same bunch for last 6 years
They let me in the pit check things out[emoji106][emoji106]
If the Dealer tells you to fuel at a certain station only on even numbered days with a full moon. Go for it. Don’t knock what others do
PS
A lot of boo boo’s have been found after truck leaves the dealership service also
Filter never changed etc etc
kyfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote