Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Duramax LML towing while tuned?

Just wondering about the subject of tuners. I just bought a H&S Mini maxx tuner for my 2011 2500 LML. In hopes it will give me better MPG and cooler EGT's while I tow. I had a 2010 LMM and when pulling a 40ft 5er it seemed to do quite well but the EGT sometimes would get a little hot and the mileage was not the greatest. Yes I know all the facts of how it will void my warranty and I run the risk of blowing my engine. Been all over the Duramax forum threads just looking for anyone who has been towing a 5er with a tuned Duramax and how they like it or if the gains are worth it.The duramax certainly for the most part never really needs anymore power than stock when towing but if I gain a few MPG it could add up to a lot of savings over time in the crazy fuel prices. Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by articcolds View Post
Just wondering about the subject of tuners. I just bought a H&S Mini maxx tuner for my 2011 2500 LML. In hopes it will give me better MPG and cooler EGT's while I tow. I had a 2010 LMM and when pulling a 40ft 5er it seemed to do quite well but the EGT sometimes would get a little hot and the mileage was not the greatest. Yes I know all the facts of how it will void my warranty and I run the risk of blowing my engine. Been all over the Duramax forum threads just looking for anyone who has been towing a 5er with a tuned Duramax and how they like it or if the gains are worth it.The duramax certainly for the most part never really needs anymore power than stock when towing but if I gain a few MPG it could add up to a lot of savings over time in the crazy fuel prices. Any thoughts?
As I just explained to my neighbour with a GM also. Most savings is done with the right foot. Having more power sometimes also use more fuel.
I get best fuel mileage while programed at 125hp gain. But while driving like grandma. Keeping good highway speed and learning to drive using the scangauge. I found low Turbo pressure is a sure shoot at fuel economy. So with the programmer there is better consistency and I can baby the truck while towing without loosing speed in the hills. Just try it and I bet you will like a scangaugeII eventually to indicate to you the instent results.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #3

I tow a 9,000+ TT with my 07 duramax. I found little difference in MPG setting my tuner for 30hp gain. The best I've seen is about 1 to 1 1/2 MPG gain. If I go for much higher HP, my EGT gets higher than I'm comfortable with. I tow in the mountains a lot and want to keep the EGT below 1,200 About the best MPG I experience while towing is 12 if I baby it.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #4

Even if you could get an extra 1 MPG and saved $0.04 for every mile you drive over the course of 50k miles that amounts to a savings of $2,000 in fuel costs. How much will it cost for an engine rebuild, or new injectors, or a new transmission?

I would be very leary of a tuner in a diesel as any fuel starvation is likely to dramatically shorten fuel injector life which is a $4-5k repair in and of itself.

With the stock LML already providing 765 ft lb of torque do you really need more power? Are you interested in spending $4k for a "built" transmission to handle the extra HP? Do you want to do anything that increases the odds of breaking down on a trip?
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I used a tuner on my 2002 Chevy D/A and the only problem I found was that the Cyl temps would get too high if you were not careful, had to downshift to keep the RPM'S up so the CYL temps would stay down. Didn't help the mileage but the power was a big help. My new 2011 I am leaving completely alone as it has enough power to get the job done, fuel mileage sucks but thats the way it goes.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

You are all right in many ways. I guess if you have the money to have no worries then the tuner can add the power and maybe give more MPG. And like others have said how much is enough? The Duramax LML comes with enormous power and why in the world would you ever need anymore. I guess it is just because I can and also can afford problems if they occur. I spoke with H&S tuning and they claim very few transmission and engine problems with their tunes. So that does make me feel better about trying it. I do also drive like grandpa most of the time so ass long as I watch the EGT's and the trans. temp what the hell give it a whirl. The worst that can happen is an Onstar call with the check book open.
I do know my 2010 GMC duramax after I tuned it with the same set up my mileage went up from 18 to 24-26 none towing and that was worth every penny in saving. Plus I never had an issue with the truck. The new owner loves the set up and has not had an issue either pulling a 5er from MN to AZ.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #7

07 Duramax 60 HP tune
10.3-10.8 MPG at 67MPH w/18.5 GCVW
31 ft Arctic Fox TT
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #8

I only have this comment: 2500 and 40 foot fiver generally does not make for an ideal combination. Our 40 foot fiver is pushing 17.5K with 4K of pin which puts our 3500 Dually right at it's limit of 13K GVWR.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #9

I'm not sure which is a worse idea. Towing a 40 foot fiver with a 2500 (I'm guessing it's a short bed as well), or putting a H&S tuner on an LML.
I had an 05 LLY 2500 SB with a tuner, an 07 LBZ CC dually with a tuner (which was stolen out of my driveway), and an 11 LML Denali CC dually not tuned.
The LML had plenty of torque to do the job and so much exhaust and computer crap on it, you couldn't have paid me to put a tuner on it. A tuner alone is probably not going to do much other than cause heat issues unless you get rid of the DPF and DEF systems.
That's a whole lot of work and potential problems just to get a little extra kick in the pants.
It's just my opinion, but I say leave that motor alone and drive it. It's gonna eat a lot of fuel no matter what you do.
Also, last I heard (and that's been a while), H&S had to stop making tuners for the LML.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post

I would be very leary of a tuner in a diesel as any fuel starvation is likely to dramatically shorten fuel injector life which is a $4-5k repair in and of itself.
Diesel tuners add fuel to make power not take it away, I tow on the 25hp level in the hills and will switch to the 100hp on the flats, I never see above 900 on the flats, and hills 1200 towing the 12.7k 5er. Also I average 12.5 towing.
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #11

To my knowledge, you can still get Tuners, but they can no longer offer deletes for the DPF or DEF (Government EPA got into the act). But there are still outfits out there that will reprogram the computer and remove all the pollution stuff for a price, but if you're registered anywhere that does emission testing you won't be able to get it registered.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #12

What cassiel says is true. I run from VA to Ok, Va to NM or Fl with 18-19K gross and have the 125 hp gain set. If I run 67 MPH, I get avg 10.8 west to NM, and about 10.6 RT as my mileage goes down coming east and I have never figured why. Going to Ok the 26th so will try again. I baby it up hill and user the Tow selector and kick it out downhill. I run at or below 1300 EGT and 190 degree Coolant. Chevy gauges are notoriously wrong so use gauges in my Edge. Edge still sells them. You can do your own deletes and then hook them up when you have a inspection due. We don't have them for diesel in Va but I suppose it's just a matter of time. Our Govt at work you know.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #13

This is jut one site. Shop around, read and get on Duramax forums. Edge is fine for everyday use but others are made for racing.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/12/prweb11392349.htm
H&S does have LML tuners available

Tags
towing