Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #15

Thanks, going to get some maybe tomorrow, see how the schedule goes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Could be, it did show ok. Is the gauge reading automatic when filled?

My 2018 Duramax does not have a DEF gauge, which is a engineering oversite I believe. The dash screen will read "OK" until the message pop's up showing how many miles are left to run (when towing the message will pop up and you will have less than 100 miles until empty). Don't let the DEF run out or the engine will go into a partial shut down mode and 35-45 mph will be the max speed until the DEF gets filled. You should have a 5 gallon DEF tank capacity.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #17

Yes, may DIC showed ok until yesterday when it went to 30% and said 982 miles left. As was pointed out to me, very possible it was not full from the dealer.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #18

The newer trucks are 7 gal, my 2018 is 7 gal.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
The newer trucks are 7 gal, my 2018 is 7 gal.

That is what the truck specs claim, but in 7 DEF fill ups, I have not been able to pump 5 gallons yet. Even when the dash screen says I have less than 100 miles left to drive??
Are you able to pump 7 gallons? If so, my tank sensor may be off calibration.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #20

First Regen 730 miles

I believe GM has it set up so that once the 30% warning comes on, you should be able to put 5 gallons in the DEF tank. Usually I only put in 2.5 gallons at a time. I never use the spout that comes with the jug. Instead I’ve found that an offset funnel works very well. To make the pouring smoother I use an awl to poke an air hole in the jug handle.

Grindstone01, I have dumped in 5 gallons of DEF before a long trip when the gauge read 25%. It sounds like you have a problem with the system.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #21

I have not tried adding 7 gal but have added 5 a few times. Like i said earlier, when i get the 1000 mi warning i dump in 2 1/2 gal jug, if i forget and it gets to the 300 mi warning i add 5 gal. I don't understand why they don't have a gauge, my Ram and DP motorhomes had gauges. There are some things GM doesn't do as well as i would like. The def gauge and the exhaust brake are 2 of those.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #22

Regarding the regen at 700 miles. I do dealer swaps for a local Chevy dealer to keep me busy and I've had new diesels do regents with less than 45 miles on them. If you think about it the regents make sense. The new vehicles are built and moved to a lot at the factory, then loaded onto trains at the railhead, unloaded moved around the railhead to get loaded onto transporters, unloaded at dealership and imoved around the lot and never getting ran hard or at any length. I picked up a 20 3500 and it went into regen as soon as it got to operating temp. How did I know it went into regen? I have a general idea of what gas mileage they get and when I start out I try to watch fuel consumption to see if I put enough in to get home where it's filled up prior to delivery. Anyway this 20 started getting 8-9 mpg for about 35 miles or so and then fuel consumption went to 19-20 and exhaust note changed.

I have a 13 duramax and when I'm driving it I can tell when regen happen by the sound. It hard to describe but I can tell and the idles goes to 850. When I think it's in regen I will reset the avg fuel consumption to see what's it's doing. Mine does not have instant fuel mile display. If my fuel mileage is below 12 on a flat surface it's doing a regin. My warning for low def comes on at 750 miles and shows 25% left so I add 3 1/2 gallons and I'm good to go.

I didn't notice any issues with the steering on the 20, but I'll pay closer attention next time.
SWO Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #23

Going to get 5 gals today and see how much it takes.

I have 900 miles on it now and I have done 1 regen at about 730.

As far as the steering, it just feels a bit "loose" and the steering wheel is a bit off center. Going to start with tire pressures. The dealer mucked with one of the rim's because it had a "blemish" and ultimately replaced the rim, so I am willing to bet the tire balance and pressure may not be right.
Other than that, this truck is a beast!
Old 12-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #24

You can look at the pressure in the dic or get the GMC app on your phone and you can see it there. I would make the dlr do an alignment if its off center and recenter the wheel. If the mucked up the wheel that bad they could have knocked it out of alignment.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #25

Quote:
You can look at the pressure in the dic or get the GMC app on your phone and you can see it there. I would make the dlr do an alignment if its off center and recenter the wheel. If the mucked up the wheel that bad they could have knocked it out of alignment.
Hi Nick,

Absolutely on the front end stuff. They replaced the rim, so I am thinking simple like tire pressure and balance, but will have them make it right.

Regarding the DEF. Just filled it with 6 full gallons and it did not top off, but am sure it is close. That means I have zero faith in the DIC readings beyond "OK".
Showed 29% just before filling which would mean just about 5 gals to top off.

For sure dealership didn't fill it.

Why can't GM just put a gauge like everyone else. My buddy has a 2017 Dodge 1 ton Cummins, waits for the gauge to hit the halfway point and puts in 2.5 gals to fill it. Simple.

It works, but is a hassle when it doesn't need to be. Filler should be next to fuel filler.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:59 AM   #26

If they messed up a rim does that mean they curbed it? I'd get it aligned as the steering wheel should be straight. When I got my diesel in 13 the lack of a gauge worried me. Since then I've figured out that about 3000 miles is when the light should be coming on. When the 750 miles warning comes on I'll pull into a Walmart or whatever and buy Def and carry on. I can go to South Dakota and back on my 5 gallon tank while pulling my toy hauler.m it's about 2 thousand miles round trip from Oklahoma. Anymore I just drive the dang thing and don't worry about it. I know one thing, those 20 models sure run and ride great. You will enjoy it!
SWO Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWO Vette View Post
If they messed up a rim does that mean they curbed it? I'd get it aligned as the steering wheel should be straight. When I got my diesel in 13 the lack of a gauge worried me. Since then I've figured out that about 3000 miles is when the light should be coming on. When the 750 miles warning comes on I'll pull into a Walmart or whatever and buy Def and carry on. I can go to South Dakota and back on my 5 gallon tank while pulling my toy hauler.m it's about 2 thousand miles round trip from Oklahoma. Anymore I just drive the dang thing and don't worry about it. I know one thing, those 20 models sure run and ride great. You will enjoy it!
Hi SWO Vette, No, they didn't curb it, the rim had a blemish on it and after trying to fix it they made it worse, so they swapped out the rim.

I just checked air pressures and sure enough, 13lbs lower on the right side 62lbs versus 75lbs on the left.

Going to even them up in the am and hope that makes it good, otherwise back to dealer.

I do agree, this is a beast, and I love it
Old 01-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #28

Quote:
My truck does not have TPMS. I guess for 3500 and up it does not have it as standard.

No big deal, use my handy dandy pressure gauge.