Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #1

Fuel filters on ebay

Duramax fuel filters on ebay - 3 for $60, free shipping. That is about half of what the stealer asks. Anyone see a downside?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #2

Where? What brand name? Sound interesting to me.
StockLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Question

Hi Ray:

Being new to the Duramax, are there different fuel (and oil) filters depending on what "generation" engine you have? (Mine's an LMM)

Does GM have a lock on the market so that you can only buy the filters from a "Stealer"? Can you get them at an auto parts store (Auto Zone, Advance, NAPA, etc)? Gosh. I could buy filters for my old PSD almost anywhere. Even for the more uncommon parts, I could purchase them from an International dealer cheaper than from Ford.

I don't think I'll be needing any of these items for awhile as the truck's only a month old, but I want have my research done so when the time comes... I'm ready.

Now, for the easy questions: How difficult is it to change the oil on a Duramax? Got any hints, tips, suggestions, etc? Is there anything unusual that I should be aware of? I always changed the oil myself on all my vehicles. One nice thing so far; The Duramax requires four less quarts of oil than my PSD did (10 vs 14).
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #4

Frank,

Once thing you might consider is:

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

I bought one for my duramax. It makes oil changes really easy. You can put a small tube on it and direct the oil drainage into bleach bottles (or whatever). Once on bottle is full, flip the valve off, position the next bottle and continue draining. You still need a oil drain pan for the filter, but it sure makes the rest of the oil change easy.

Also, I have been told that you want to have an fuel filter on hand at all times (with the tools to change it). When thes thing go bad, they go bad fast. One batch of "bad" fuel can leave you stranded. Buy one now and leave it under the back seat.

Talk to the guys at:

Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums

There are all sorts of suggestions and information about the duramax.

I am REALLY happy with mine. Went through the mountains of BC and then down through Yellowstone this year. Just set it on cruise control and let the truck handle anything that came along. Fantanstic truck!

Tak care!
StockLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks!

I kept a spare fuel filter, glow plug relay and Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) when I had my PSD for the same reason you mentioned. I'll probably continue the practice for this truck. I keep a large Rubbermaid box in the bed with a number of those "emergency" items like jumper cables, disabled vehicle warning triangles, a gallon of oil (Rotella), ratcheting tie downs, an "X" style lug wrench and a reel with a 100' electric extension cord (in case I need to reach and outlet to use the block heater).

That Quick Oil Drain Valve sounds like a good idea. I'll have to look into it, although, I already have a large oil drain pan that would easily accommodate the 10 quarts of oil from the Duramax.

The engine/transmission/performance of this truck is awesome. But the fuel mileage (so far) has been disappointing.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

Frank I'll try to answer your quesitons. All Duramax engines use the same fuel filter up to 08, I think. Changing the filter requires a bit of arm twisting and moving the air conditioner metal piping a bit. A small strap wrench is required to remove the filter(available at any auto store). I use a small can to drain the filter through the water drain valve first (loosen the air purge screw), then remove the filter. Some guys cut an access hole in the right fender-well liner,not me, I remove it from under-hood. Always carry a spare fuel filter for the reasons already assigned. The filter housing has a priming pump on top, pump until fuel leaks out the air purge screw(bout 13 strokes) then tighten the screw.

Only purchase diesel fuel at high-volume filling stations, the small ones don't sell enough fuel to keep it water-free, and fresh. Truck stops must sell high-quality fuel or truckers will quickly leave them for another company, that's the best fuel to buy.
Never use any fuel conditioner that absorbs water(alcohol-based) , it will destroy your injectors and high-pressure pump rather quickly. Use only those specifically for diesel fuel. Fuel-jelling is not an issue unless you buy fuel in the summer and not drive until cold weather, as refineries begin blending winter fuel, based on where it will be retailed, soon enough to avoid the issue.

About disappointing fuel mileage, keep your foot a bit lighter. Doncha love that power!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 09-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Ray:

Thanks for the info. When I'm pulling the TT, I find the fuel mileage closer to what I got on the old truck then when I'm running solo, so it's not all bad news.

Your posting confirms what I've read on other boards about the challenge you face when changing the fuel filter. All I can say is that on my old PSD, it was a lot less complicated than the Duramax. But, you can't win them all; and there some trade-offs. For the PSD, you had to pour 8oz of an anti-cavitation solution in the radiator every 15,000mi to and were required to drain the water from the fuel filter canister every 5,000mi whether it needed it or not. For the duramax, GM says all you ever need is a 50/50 mix of Dex-Cool and any potable water. From what I've read, you never perform a water drain procedure unless the warning light comes on or you change the fuel filter.

Even though, I have over 13 years experience owning a diesel, there are a lot of new things to learn about this engine.

I really enjoy the surprised look on their faces when some twit thinks he's going to pull a fast one on me, only to get "Dura-Maxxed". I don't go looking for trouble, but, unfortunately, there are enough idiots out there that you don't have to drive far to find some.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #8

Frank, 50/50 anti-freeze is exactly that, a pre-mixed solution. Just pour it into the expansion tank, no additional water needed.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Is that how Dex-Cool anti-freeze is sold now? Premixed 50/50? I ask this because several years ago when I purchased (Prestone) Dex-Cool for use for my wife's Ford Escape, it wasn't pre-mixed. In fact, my 50/50 jug of it is nearly empty and I'll need to mix a new batch the next time I have to add coolant.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #10

Frank, this webpage explaining Dex-Cool might be informative: All About Dex-CoolŪ - GETAHELMET.COM
I use pre-mixed because it is more convenient, saves measuring/guessing at the proper amount of 100% Dex-Cool(both concentrations are sold) to pour in the overflow tank. One important item when re-filling a Duramax is to purge ALL air from the cooling system, otherwise over-heating problems may arise.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockLBZ View Post
Where? What brand name? Sound interesting to me.
Look here: 01-08 Chevrolet GMC 6.6 Duramax Diesel 3 Fuel Filters:eBay Motors (item 310164879135 end time Sep-27-09 06:11:21 PDT)
That seller has a lot of Duramax filters and other stuff advertised there.Sorry for getting off-track.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #12

Seems like a very good price. I have started shopping on-line and take what I can find on-line to a couple local dealers to see how close they can get. I will buy locally if they get the rpice close enough.

I have been surpirsed how much they will negotiate as I believe the goal of the parts dept is to make 30% profit at the end of the day. Some things they make 5% and others they make 50%.

I have found the price for the Allison spin-on filter to be range from $35-$50 between 3 dealers. I called Stewart and Stevenson and got the filter for about $10!
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I got my last three fuel filters on Ebay. I got one left now, so time to reorder. I paid over $30 at a NAPA for my first one and that was in 03.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote