Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:39 AM   #1

Exclamation LML Fuel Filter Housing Life Span

Thought I'd share a situation I found myself in a couple of years ago.

2012 GMC 2500HD SLT - at the time this occurred I had around 70k on the odometer.

Had just arrived outside West Yellowstone Labor Day weekend 2020, after towing my 5th wheel up from San Diego. Had setup camp the night before and had gone exploring the next day.

Just outside Old Faithful my truck just quit. Making a long story short, after two expensive tows, one outside the gate because that's as far as the park will take you, and another to the dealer, the dealer discovered the o-rings on the housing at the primer pump lost the seal. Sucked air and wouldn't run, of course. Dealer installed a new housing and filter and all set.

According to the dealer this is a common occurrence. I have since discovered, when searching for a fuel filter at various auto part stores and Amazon, a replacement housing also appears in the search! I have to assume because this is a common issue. A rebuild kit is also available.

I've kept my old housing. It's hanging in my garage wall with a note to rebuild and replace the one in the truck in 2025!

When my issue occurred I wasn't towing, was fortunate enough to be able to coast into one of the few and far between parking areas in the park.

However on that trip, and many others, I have gone over some major passes. Loveland Pass at 11,991', the Million Dollar Highway, Donner Pass, to name a couple. Have taken three 10k mile trips with each of my granddaughters around the country. Had that housing decided to suck air in any of thousands of situations I've been in and lost power braking and exhaust braking, power steering, it could have been a disaster.

So my advice, it you have a LML (and haven't installed a lift pump, which I assume if I had one it would have started leaking but not lost it's prime) and it's more that 8-10 years old, rebuild or replace your fuel filter housing. And if you plan on keeping that vehicle, plan ahead to do it again.

Might save you an expensive repair situation or a situation you wouldn't want to be in.

Dave
Dschlieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2022, 06:36 AM   #2

Interesting.....I've installed a FASS lift pump in mine and never had to touch the last factory filter I installed. I'm pretty sure that there are kits available to completely remove that filter....if you have a lift pump with filters. I've never had problems with the CP4, but I would probably be concerned about that part for sure.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel