Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Duramax Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #1

Need advice on buying a good used Duramax truck!

We just sold our class A, and we are getting ready to buy a 5th wheel ( Max GVWR around 12-15K) and we want a Chevy or GMC Duramax to tow it.

What used years would you recommend and why? I have heard that 2006-2009? pre DEF might be good, but I could also go with near-new if needed. If I get a used truck, would you recommend that I get a good extended warranty?

Thanks advance for your help!
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #2

I would never buy one previously owned by anyone under 30, there is an excellent chance it was "bombed" by them.
I owned an 2002 Duramax dually. After the injectors were replaced ($5K @ 120K miles) it continued to be an excellent engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #3

I have a 2011 2500HD.
Only problems have been with the DEF system. Mostly covered by warranty.
2011 I think was the first year for the DEF and there was a few issues. However since it was fixed finally it has been a great truck. So I suggest you buy either an earlier model or a later one. That Duramax engine is one of the best. Love the sound when idling through a campground. That diesel mutter. .
Hope this helps.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:04 AM   #4

Sounds familiar, we sold our class A in June 2021. I purchased a new Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500HD Duramax back in Feb 2021 and a new Grand Design Reflection 303RLS back in May 2021.
Unfortunately now is not a good time to buy a truck. The used market has gone nuts, at 67 years of age I have never seen a market like this. I would suggest buying new when the dealer inventories start to come back.
All that said in my opinion as a retired mechanic (40 years of on the job experience) you do not want any diesel with the Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump no matter what owners of these trucks say. This includes 2011 to 2016 6.6 Liter Duramax, 2011 to present Ford Powerstroke 6.7's, 2019-2020 RAM 6.7 Cummins.
These pumps will fail, not if but when and again no matter what owners say there is no filter, fuel, lift pump, additive, etc that will prevent this failure. When these pumps fail they spread metal throughout the entire fuel system and typically it costs 10 to 15k to fix and the same fuel pump goes right back on the engine. Keep away from them no matter what!
The 2017 to present Duramax L5P is in my opinion a rock solid engine and it uses a Denso high pressure fuel pump. In 2020 GM added a larger cooling package including oil cooler, a 10 speed Allison Certified Transmission, moved the DEF tank in front of the fuel tank, added a functional cold air hood scoop and more.
I paid $70k plus tax and registration for my fully loaded (every option) and got zero percent financing through GM. The MSRP on my truck was just under 77k. I hope you find a great truck but patience is going to be key. All the best and good luck.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsrv View Post
Sounds familiar, we sold our class A in June 2021. I purchased a new Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500HD Duramax back in Feb 2021 and a new Grand Design Reflection 303RLS back in May 2021.
Unfortunately now is not a good time to buy a truck. The used market has gone nuts, at 67 years of age I have never seen a market like this. I would suggest buying new when the dealer inventories start to come back.
All that said in my opinion as a retired mechanic (40 years of on the job experience) you do not want any diesel with the Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump no matter what owners of these trucks say. This includes 2011 to 2016 6.6 Liter Duramax, 2011 to present Ford Powerstroke 6.7's, 2019-2020 RAM 6.7 Cummins.
These pumps will fail, not if but when and again no matter what owners say there is no filter, fuel, lift pump, additive, etc that will prevent this failure. When these pumps fail they spread metal throughout the entire fuel system and typically it costs 10 to 15k to fix and the same fuel pump goes right back on the engine. Keep away from them no matter what!
The 2017 to present Duramax L5P is in my opinion a rock solid engine and it uses a Denso high pressure fuel pump. In 2020 GM added a larger cooling package including oil cooler, a 10 speed Allison Certified Transmission, moved the DEF tank in front of the fuel tank, added a functional cold air hood scoop and more.
I paid $70k plus tax and registration for my fully loaded (every option) and got zero percent financing through GM. The MSRP on my truck was just under 77k. I hope you find a great truck but patience is going to be key. All the best and good luck.
Good info on the pump and years. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #6

Thanks Jim for the advice and warning about the fuel pump. I am also 67 years old and have never seen auto/truck shortages and prices like this!

A few GMCs are starting to pop up here and there, but prices are still above MSRP. I may have to order one, we will see. I think I can hold out until Late December, before we want to start going south again. By then I hope to have a new truck and Grand Design 5th wheel to take with us!
Old 11-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #7

I just noticed that "BirchyBoy" has an Alliance 5th wheel. I am going to look at some on Wed, and compare it to Grand Design. How do you like yours?
Old 11-08-2021, 04:59 AM   #8

I assume that you are asking about our Grand Design. We have a 2021 Reflection 303RLS with the second bedroom air conditioner. We purchased it back in May from Mike Thompsons RV in Colton CA. (We live 450 miles north of Colton). I sent offers to dealers across the entire country for 48k. I was pleased with the response as I had several in very close range of that price but without the 2nd AC. I saw that the dealer in Colton had one in stock and called them to get the price. They came within 2k of my original offer so we placed a down payment and a week later picked it up. We have used it now for about 7 weeks (total in use time) and put about 5000 miles on it. All in all no issues besides a couple of loose screws and one drawer latch all of which I fixed. We really like this RV especially for the price paid.
I have added: 2 residential solar panels with one more in the works, two 100AH Lithium Battle Born Batteries with two more that will be added, a GoPower 2000 watt Hybrid Inverter, MPPT Solar Controller, Victron Smart Shunt, aluminum compartment liners (custom built by me), battery boxes I built, and other storage accessories.
Based on our experience thus far we love this new RV and are headed out again later this week. This is our first 5th wheel after our third class A Motorhome. The opposing slides of the fifth wheel are really nice offering so much living space compaired to the motorhomes.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I would never buy one that had been modified or chipped. You never know how much the truck was pushed.

And second idea from me is buy a Ford or a Ram.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, buying