Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

6.4 Blown Turbo Hoses

I have a 2010 F250 and pull a 33' 5th, approx 11,400 lbs. I'm retired, however work for an RV Tour company leading RV vactioners to Alaska. My problem is on the long steep grades of the Canadian Yukon I blow turbo hoses. Canadian ford lealers tell me the 6.4 does not blow them as much as the 6.0, but still has the problem. They tell me if you make a 6.4 work (ie: pull a 5th up long steep grades) you will have turbo failure. They tell me the turbo system simply is not designed to take the sustained full pressure it experiences while climbing the grades for 20 minutes +. They advise me to carry spare hoses & clamps & keep tools handy.

The Alcan Hyway is two lane, somewhat narrow, has no sholders, and on the grades often has a cliff on one side and a mountain wall on the other. The rig will not complete the climb with the hose off and backing down is not an option, these grades are miles long and often 10% climbs. I end up under the rig on under the hood in lane trying to reattach the hose on a hot engine. DANGEROUS. Plus I'm leading the RV Caravan so now the tour is not running, it's stopped.

US dealers deny any problem with 6.4 turbos and imply it's my driving style or I'm pulling a much larger 5th than admitted to (not on both counts). Ford corporate eventually admitted to the problem (over 20% of 6.4's have had turbo warranty work I'm told), not easy to get them to do but I have it in writing now, but state they have no fix for it. I asked them to buy the truck back and they declined.

So I'm on my own, basicaly abanded by Ford on at 2010 with 35,000 miles on it. To say I'm dissapointed with Ford would not really cover what I think, and I don't even know how to express my anger at being lied to repeatedly.

Leaving for the Alcan Hyway and Alaska saturday and feeling very insecure. Any thoughts?

Steve
Ustabe Ford Guy
Campjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #2

What kind of clamps are securing the hoses?
Are they blowing off the pipe or just blowing apart?
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #3

Ford OEM clamps, spring loaded. Blowing off the turbo housing and the tubing, depending
Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campjunkie
Ford OEM clamps, spring loaded. Blowing off the turbo housing and the tubing, depending
Get Max torque hose clamps from a heavy duty try supplier such as midwestwheel.com

I have had similiar issues albeit a turbo snowmobile.
We eliminated the long hoses which ballon and strech under boost and replaced with stainless pipe then used wire reinforced hose couplings to attach pipe to pipe.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll look into that. First thought is warranty though as almost the first thing out of a dealers mouth is have I modified it. Maybe both clamps? Ford says what is happening is the OEM spring loaded clamps back off over time, and the tubing the hose it clamped to crushes. They tell me to carry an in-lb torque rince and re tighten often. You would think Ford could come up with a better idea.

Steve
Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #6

So is your 6.4 tuned or stock?
We are towing our 18000 pound toyhauler with a tuned '08 F-450, I have seen a steady 25-37 pounds of boost for MILES without issue while on the 250hp (over stock hp) tune setting. (not saying I will not in the future!) I'm just trying to learn what is the different between our trucks or driving style.
Our truck builds over 20 pounds of boost cruising 65 on flat ground with no wind pulling this heavy toyhauler, but only about 14 pounds of boost towing a 7000 pound enclosed trailer on a simular road and speed.
A few questions for you:
Is there a chance this is happening during regen mode?
What is your boost pressure just prior to this happening?
How often has it happened?
Are you reusing stock parts? (could they be damaged/weakend)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #7

We have no issues with blowing hoses since we did this.
30 + lbs of boost
Old 06-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #8

It's totaly stock, no tuner, no aftermarket parts. It's still under the 100,000 mile extended warranty I purchased. So far, it only happens in the Canadian Yukon, 4 times now in two trips.

When you climb out of Valdez for instance, you have 28 miles of 10% to 12% grade. Drops to about 40 mph in 3rd, 2/3 to 3/4 throttle, 37-38 lbs boost for about 45 minutes.

One Canadian Ford dealer told me to keep the boost under 32 lbs and it will take it all day. I tried backing off to that boost pressure and my speed dropped of to about 25.

When you are in the Yukon you are either going up or down. The runs are long and steep. 10% grades are common, sometimes more and they go on for miles.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Have you tried a kit like this:

BD Intercooler Hose & Clamp Kit fits Ford 2008 - 2010 6.4L Power Stroke. Part # 1047037.
Nothing can put an end to a quarter mile pass or hill climb faster than a turbo hose that blows off. You can eliminate this problem with BD’s hose and clamp kits. Eye-catching blue Nomex silicone hoses can withstand over 100 psi pounds per square inch of boost, and are secured by rugged, spring-loaded, stainless steel T-bar clamps. Engineered for each individual application, BD hose and clamp kits are a must for any modified turbo diesel. All of our Ford kits include hoses with BD's exclusive raised I.D. groove to ensure an O.E.M. fit like no other aftermarket hose can, and, Flurosilicone lined to resist oil.

Seems like a quick, easy and relatively inexpensive fix that you might be able to complete by Saturday if they overnight ship it to you.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #10

Haha! I only laugh because being from Alaska, I know that pull out of Valdez well!
To bad the right lane is so narrow on that climb!! Some refuse to move over even slightly to the right. All I ask is they give me half the left lane an no on coming traffic and we're around them!
As f1100 stated upgrade your clamps and hoses but I suggest you keep the stock clamps and hose on hand to swap out for any 'warenty' work.
I not a fan of being dishonest, but I'm also not a fan of giving the stealer any wiggle room denying genuine warranty claims.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #11

Thanks, I was not aware of the BD fix. Just looked at the kit, clamps look like the ones on the truck now. Wonder why they would be able to hold? This path is intreaging, but makes me uneasy about the warranty. My neighber has a 2010. Recently I noticed a new 2012 in his driveway, went to look. Much to my suprise he told me a story of repeated turbo failure on his 2010, dealers telling him 6.4's where not haveing a problem. The third time it was towed into the dealer he was told he had coolent in his turbos. He drove out in the 2012 I was looking at, finished the story saying he just couldn't own the 2010 any longer! Wow!! Now, if I'm headed for the same failure and I put aftermarket parts on, will Ford use that to weasel out of the warranty? I used to have the highest respect for Ford. Now though, after being repeatedly lied to I'm afraid to give them any reason to back out of the warranty.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campjunkie
Thanks, I was not aware of the BD fix. Just looked at the kit, clamps look like the ones on the truck now. Wonder why they would be able to hold? This path is intreaging, but makes me uneasy about the warranty. My neighber has a 2010. Recently I noticed a new 2012 in his driveway, went to look. Much to my suprise he told me a story of repeated turbo failure on his 2010, dealers telling him 6.4's where not haveing a problem. The third time it was towed into the dealer he was told he had coolent in his turbos. He drove out in the 2012 I was looking at, finished the story saying he just couldn't own the 2010 any longer! Wow!! Now, if I'm headed for the same failure and I put aftermarket parts on, will Ford use that to weasel out of the warranty? I used to have the highest respect for Ford. Now though, after being repeatedly lied to I'm afraid to give them any reason to back out of the warranty.
They cannot void warranty unless they can prove without a doubt that the aftermarket part/s caused the issue.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post

Haha! I only laugh because being from Alaska, I know that pull out of Valdez well!
To bad the right lane is so narrow on that climb!! Some refuse to move over even slightly to the right. All I ask is they give me half the left lane an no on coming traffic and we're around them!
As f1100 stated upgrade your clamps and hoses but I suggest you keep the stock clamps and hose on hand to swap out for any 'warenty' work.
I not a fan of being dishonest, but I'm also not a fan of giving the stealer any wiggle room denying genuine warranty claims.
I know what you mean, the right lane on the Valdez climb is too narrow for a rig to travel safely, and I must admit I use both lanes on that climb. I do watch my mirrors and move over when someone approaches and I tell my guests to do the same.

Since you have driven that road I bet you can identify with me: "Don't blow now, don't blow now, don't blow now" I chant, stomach in throat. I also have another chant that expresses more clearly my opinion of Ford and their design and how they have delt with me, however I did agree to the rules for this form so I won't post it.

I can't get enough of Alaska in the summer. Don't think I would want to live there in the winter.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
They cannot void warranty unless they can prove without a doubt that the aftermarket part/s caused the issue.
I know that's the law. I have owned 9 new Fords, 3 GMC products, and this and that one at a time, basically I'm a Ford Guy. I always expected the best from Ford. I don't think that way any longer. I view this as Ford's Dirty Secret, and can't get past the US dealers lying to me; telling me the problem does not exhist. This truck will be my last Ford; I don't trust them any longer.