Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #1

6.7 Cummins in Motor Homes?

Ford will be installing 6.7 Cummins Diesel engines in their commercial F-650 & F750's for the 2015 models.

If they are doing this, why can't the motor home chassis that have gas engines place 6.7 diesels in their place? These are the front mounted engine compartments.

Inquiring minds would like to know. What do you think?
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

That 6.7 Cummins is a monster... Great power and fuel mileage... I figure it's only a matter of time..... I'd Love one.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #3

Where'd you hear this?

Everyone always speculates that Ford and Cummins will do something and it's never true. Ford did (does?) use Cat's in their MDTs.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Ford has been offering the Cummins 6.7L in the F650/750's for a long time now. You could get a Cummins, Cat, or International 7.3 or 6.0L. The newer ones only offer the Ford gas V10 engine or Cummins. So the Cummins offering is not new. CAT hasn't been offered since 2009. I assume it is due to their lack of meeting emissions standard. I highly doubt an International will be offered by Ford anytime soon.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
That 6.7 Cummins is a monster... Great power and fuel mileage... I figure it's only a matter of time..... I'd Love one.....
The F650/750s I have driven with the Cummins 6.7L have not been that impressive. They move but not very fast. But there are multitudes of HP and torque configurations. The International DT466's we have in our ambulances run really good for a medium duty chassis truck.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like said above, Ford MDT's have had the Cummins for a while...
See: 2015 Ford F-650-750 Work Trucks | See the Medium-Duty Ford Commercial Work Truck | Ford.com

And the F-250/F-550 have the Ford 6.7L...
See: 2014 Ford Super Duty Models | View XL, XLT, Lariat & King Ranch Trim Packages for the 2014 Super Duty | Ford.com

But, don't hold your breath for a FRED (front engine diesel) RV chassis from Ford. The engine will fit, that's not a question. And it's not about emissions. It's more of a question about demand.

The Freightliner FRED with venerable Cummins ISB is still in the model line-up, but no RV maker is ordering them...
See: Freightliner Motorhome Chassis ? RV Chassis

And if you search iRV2, you will find that lots of people gripe about the front engine noise from their gas powered RV's (especially those that have gone to a DP)...a FRED makes more noise under the doghouse.

So there is an alternative...You can get the F-550 under the Four Winds and Chateau Super C...

In today's market, I think there is room for a FRED...and there is room for something to compete against the Ford F53 gas chassis too. Ford doesn't have any reason to offer options, because they have a monopoly.
So, who will bring it to market?

Great question!
Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Like said above, Ford MDT's have had the Cummins for a while...
See: 2015 Ford F-650-750 Work Trucks | See the Medium-Duty Ford Commercial Work Truck | Ford.com

And the F-250/F-550 have the Ford 6.7L...
See: 2014 Ford Super Duty Models | View XL, XLT, Lariat & King Ranch Trim Packages for the 2014 Super Duty | Ford.com

But, don't hold your breath for a FRED (front engine diesel) RV chassis from Ford. The engine will fit, that's not a question. And it's not about emissions. It's more of a question about demand.

The Freightliner FRED with venerable Cummins ISB is still in the model line-up, but no RV maker is ordering them...
See: Freightliner Motorhome Chassis ? RV Chassis

And if you search iRV2, you will find that lots of people gripe about the front engine noise from their gas powered RV's (especially those that have gone to a DP)...a FRED makes more noise under the doghouse.

So there is an alternative...You can get the F-550 under the Four Winds and Chateau Super C...

In today's market, I think there is room for a FRED...and there is room for something to compete against the Ford F53 gas chassis too. Ford doesn't have any reason to offer options, because they have a monopoly.
So, who will bring it to market?

Great question!
Safe travels
I will be asking more about a FRED in a Class A. I personally am not interested in a Ford 6.7 in anything. I have one in my Ford F-350. I consider it a V-8 disposable engine. I still own an F-550 with a 6.0...............Afraid I won't get any money for it due to its reputation as a piece of %&#*.
I've always said if Ford would place the 6.7 Cummins in their Super Duty trucks they'd have a heck of a truck.
I was glad to read that they were installing 6.7 Cummins in F-650/F750's. So, this is why I'm asking. I want to start a dialog and get some interest going on the Cummins going into FRED's. Some RV dealers that I spoke to at the Tampa RV Show said do some emailing. I'm starting here.
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Would not want the 6.7 in a motor home or any thing in that weight range, but in the F350 service trucks we run, they are great. Much better than any of the Navistar units, we ran the 7.3, 6.0 & 6.4 and had good luck with them all, but the Ford 6.7 is just that much better. No interest in the Cummins 6.7, I have the ISM500 in my coach at 30,000 lbs, a great combo for me. Have the BT5.9 with CAC, does great in the FL60 Freightliner, also a light truck.
In my world the correct engine for the purpose is key, trying to hot rod a small engine seems like a losing & expensive game with a sad future.
Cheers
Save M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
I will be asking more about a FRED in a Class A. I personally am not interested in a Ford 6.7 in anything. I have one in my Ford F-350. I consider it a V-8 disposable engine. I still own an F-550 with a 6.0...............Afraid I won't get any money for it due to its reputation as a piece of %&#*.
I've always said if Ford would place the 6.7 Cummins in their Super Duty trucks they'd have a heck of a truck.
I was glad to read that they were installing 6.7 Cummins in F-650/F750's. So, this is why I'm asking. I want to start a dialog and get some interest going on the Cummins going into FRED's. Some RV dealers that I spoke to at the Tampa RV Show said do some emailing. I'm starting here.
Freightliner builds motorhomes with the Cummins 6.7L engine in them. Have been since the introduction of the 6.7L engine in 2007. I had a tour of the Cummins Mid engine plant in Columbus IN last year and the tour guide point them out to us the only difference between them is the red paint and software.

Jim W.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

If Ford was to put a Cummins engine in their pick up it would make all other trucks in that class obsolete. I have a 9L ISL in my pusher, great engine. To put a Cummins in a FRED, now someone wants to move that class to a hole new level and I hope they do.
RVH.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Jayco Super C is built on the Freightliner FRED chassis with a Cummins.
ledoylefcco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins