Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

6.7 Tuner

I'm going to be removing the DPF and probably the EGR from my 2014 F350. I don't want extra power or anything like that. It has plenty of power for me in its stock form. I'm interested in engine longevity and a decent fuel economy bump from removing the DPF. I also don't want to lose any of the engine/exhaust braking abilities when towing.

What's a good tuner that will accomplish those goals and not cost a fortune?
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 05:44 AM   #2

Since what you want to do is illegal, dont forget to factor in the cost of the fine for doing so.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

Yes, thank you. I will certainly keep that in mind.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...nce-chips.aspx

This might help though.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just curious and not criticizing, but how will you get around the ecm’s objection to not having the dpf? Seems like you’ll need more than a performance reprogram and while Im admittedly out of my depth here, there are some non-reprogrammable parameters on these rigs and this may be one of them.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
My son deleted his 2013 6.7. No more DEF, replaced the exhaust and its 10 sensors, and installed a tuner to avoid all the ECM error codes.

Send my a PM if you want me to put you in touch with him.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Just curious and not criticizing, but how will you get around the ecm’s objection to not having the dpf? Seems like you’ll need more than a performance reprogram and while Im admittedly out of my depth here, there are some non-reprogrammable parameters on these rigs and this may be one of them.

The tuners do exactly that. It replaces the software on the ecm so that it is no longer looking for the sensors associated with the DPF. Then you normally just unplug the sensors and put some tape over the ends so that they don't get clogged with dirt. With the 6.4 powerstroke I had before, I gained 15%-20% fuel economy. As long as you're not tuning for maximum horsepower, they aren't as pollutant as many people make them out to be. With a good tune, you can pass emission tests without the DPF and EGR.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ive been tempted to do a 5 star or similar on mine but as you stated it has plenty of power stock. The only thing I dont like is the delay in acceleration from a stop or coasting, but I think thats programmed to reduce stress on the transmission and Im not sure if I want to change that.

I don't drive mine enough to be concerned about fuel economy and Im getting 17mpg during normal driving. Ive pushed it to 19 by focusing on economy (coasting a lot, rolling stops, lower speeds, etc) but 17 is good enough for me. What is your mpg goal? What are they capable of? I guess if I was towing regularly Id consider your strategy.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #9

The goal is simply better fuel economy and better engine longevity. The emissions systems are what kills modern diesel engines. Remember the old Cummins and the famous 7.3? Those things lasted forever. Modern ones are better built, but choked to death by their emissions. They actually dump raw fuel into the exhaust stroke to heat up the exhaust to 1200 degrees and burn off soot. The solution to emissions is to intentionally burn more fuel? Really?
Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #10

Agree Itchytoe, makes a lot of sense to dump raw fuel into the exhaust, raise the temperature to over 1000 degrees and burn more fuel and urea. All this plus the toll it all takes on your wallet and your engine life. The EPA needs to get out of the truck business. A well-tuned and fully deleted modern diesel burns clean and contributes less of an environmental footprint than farting cows and poorly maintained and out of tune gas junkers. I'll keep my fully deleted 6.7l and my 24.7mpg empty and 14.3mpg towing.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
Agree Itchytoe, makes a lot of sense to dump raw fuel into the exhaust, raise the temperature to over 1000 degrees and burn more fuel and urea. All this plus the toll it all takes on your wallet and your engine life. The EPA needs to get out of the truck business. A well-tuned and fully deleted modern diesel burns clean and contributes less of an environmental footprint than farting cows and poorly maintained and out of tune gas junkers. I'll keep my fully deleted 6.7l and my 24.7mpg empty and 14.3mpg towing.

I'm about to do the full delete and have been running an SCT tuner. I currently get 12.7 towing and haven't check non towing mileage. 24+ I'll take that.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:03 AM   #12

Delete, delete, delete all day long. Engine longevity is a definite benefit. Don't mind the forum police. We are all adults. Let us know how it goes. I have deleted three of our ranch trucks. It is one of the best things we did.
bbslider001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep in mind that if you change the tune, the ECM will record it internally and if you go in for warranty or smog check, it will fail. No way I know of to erase it out.

Dealership will have to reprogram the as-built parameters.

I would consider doing the delete, but we have bi-annual smog checks here.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #14

I know how you can pass those Smog checks!

Move out of that STUPID State! Lol, I lived there 7 years, Best thing I ever did was move out from there. Hated all the Dumb ass over regulated laws and taxes! Too bad we can't sell it to Mexico, they already have a head start!, LOL
southerndude is offline   Reply With Quote