Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #1

AGM

Anybody replace the battery on 2017 F350 with AGM battery?Any problem with the alternator charger?
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #2

I use AGM batteries to start my coach and my jeep.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:29 AM   #3

I have now switched out 12 FLA battys to AGM between boat and MH.
Boat AGM serves house and start and charged while running from eng alternator - only change was setting shore charger to AGM profile.
MH house bank AGM with chassis still original sealed FLA. Also just changed shore charger profile setting.
I'm no expert but have done some digging & reading about alternators and AGMs. My understanding is the charging profile is very close between FLA and AGM with the biggest difference ( tenths of a volt) is in the float setting where the battys are simply being maintained with little amp flow to the batty. If too high over an extended time it can affect AGMs negatively.
Alternators (V regulators) do not normally provide a multi stage charge like shore chargers the control turns the alternator on or off based on the V of the batty. So in a sense there is no "float" where the alt remains charging at a reduced V over an extended period (days) like a shore charger.
Bottom line is AGM replacement in a chassis application should be no problem.
Some newer vehicles are putting AGM in their higher end trim levels with more bells & whistles and auto idle feature. I have only checked one but the alternators were the same and I believe internal V regulatio is the most common in auto alts.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buc1908 View Post
Anybody replace the battery on 2017 F350 with AGM battery?Any problem with the alternator charger?
I put two Odyssey Extremes in my ‘17 F350 6.7 with dual alternators almost four years ago. One small glitch that caused the alternator light to go on when I first put them in but since then I’ve had zero problems. No more leaking factory batteries and plenty of power for running the winch or lights without the fear of running them down too far.
CoWapiti is offline   Reply With Quote