Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #1

Air cooler P026A

Hi guys, New to the powerstroke forum. Have a F-250 6.7 2011. I have got the engine light comming on 4-5 times when towing my TT over passes. (5000-6000 feet) first time it did it I thought it was something seriously wrong. But my friend in his F-250 got the same indication at the same time and place. . The code is P026A. Meaning that the air cooler is not performing 100%. I checked the fluid level. It was a little bit low. But filling it up did not solve the problem.
No leaks as the level have been constant for 500 miles.

It never happens when I’m not towing.

Oil temp has been between 215-236 on the summit of the highest passes. (Towing)

So to the question. Have anyone experienced the same while towing over high passes?

If so did you do anything to fix it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It would be a goo idea to visit a shop/parts house and get the codes pulled from the engine diagnostics port.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oil temp too high, which would explain the cac code, which is coolant controlled, vistronic fan should start to roar at209f and be full on at 212, you will need a good scan tool to monitor fan_vss. Cooling performance is your issue.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
It would be a goo idea to visit a shop/parts house and get the codes pulled from the engine diagnostics port.

Ken
P026A code: the OP has the code so it's been on an OBDC to read it. This might be of help: https://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forums/topic/3931-p026a/
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good info from edd505 spot on!
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:15 AM   #6

Had the truck in for service. They did find a leak on the air tube from CAC cooler to turbo. We thought that would fix the problem.
No leaks of coolant. Had the cooling systems flushed and new coolant.

Two days after the service we took the the truck with trailer over two high passes in 90+ weather.

I drove the truck much harder than I ever have just to test. I more or less went WOT all the way up the grade. Oil temp was up to 240 and tranny to 195.

After the summit temps. went down to normal pretty quick. (202/189). Down the pass on the other side exhaust brake all the way down. Takes about 30 min.

So far no codes and I was happy.

We stop for a break and my wife start driving. Within 10 minutes the engine check light (P026A) comes on. It is city driving so no grades.

Next day same thing. I drive up another pass. On the other side we take a break and my wife starts driving. Engine check light comes on after 5-10 minutes.

Again no hard driving or high oil or tranny temps.

New wife or new truck is the question?
Old 07-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolle View Post
Had the truck in for service. They did find a leak on the air tube from CAC cooler to turbo. We thought that would fix the problem.
No leaks of coolant. Had the cooling systems flushed and new coolant.

Two days after the service we took the the truck with trailer over two high passes in 90+ weather.

I drove the truck much harder than I ever have just to test. I more or less went WOT all the way up the grade. Oil temp was up to 240 and tranny to 195.

After the summit temps. went down to normal pretty quick. (202/189). Down the pass on the other side exhaust brake all the way down. Takes about 30 min.

So far no codes and I was happy.

We stop for a break and my wife start driving. Within 10 minutes the engine check light (P026A) comes on. It is city driving so no grades.

Next day same thing. I drive up another pass. On the other side we take a break and my wife starts driving. Engine check light comes on after 5-10 minutes.

Again no hard driving or high oil or tranny temps.

New wife or new truck is the question?
I have the 13 F250 6.7. Do a very close flashlight inspection of the charge air pipes hot and cold sides. Mine blew up in a fantastic way so it was pretty obvious but heard about small cracks in the pipes that cause leaks and throw the codes. I since upgraded to the mishimoto aluminum hot and cold side pipes and not a single issue.

Note…glad I’m not the only one that sees 240 degree oil temps on long pulls towing. I always get a little nervous when it gets that hot even if it is only for little while.

Tags
air