Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
I`d like to see the article that Ford re-coated the internals of the CP-4 to make it less susceptible to self destruction on the 2017 and up. I've drained my fuel filter like your suppose to and never had a drop of water in it and I let the jar sit over night and check it in the morning to be sure. I've bought fuel from Md. to SC. at all kinds of stations and nary a problem or drop of water. I even put a 10 micron filter with water separator on the 63 gal. aux. tank I have in the bed and that has never produced a drop of water either.
So how is Ford denying claims for this when t has an improved fuel water separator in the late model system. How is water getting to the parts that self destruct when water is in the fuel? They are basically saying you put bad fuel in it and our system can`t filter it out so you pay for the repair. The amount of water constantly in the fuel would have to be significant and your water in fuel would be on after every tank full. I call bull and Ford is just passing the buck. So what are you going to do when the dealer has your truck all torn apart in the shop tell them don`t fix it and I`ll tow it 1000 miles home to fix it. Nope and they know that.
I've been reading about the disaster prevention kits all weekend and all of them can not prevent the CP-4 from destroying it`s self just prevents the shards of metal from getting to the injectors or back to the tank at best a 20 micron filter is suppose to stop the contamination but the final fuel filter is 4 micron on the engine from the factory. So how can bad fuel even get to the fuel pump to begin with.
I`m paranoid that the truck is going to leave us stranded in the middle of nowhere now and there is nothing you can do about it to prevent it.
I guess I`m looking for people that has had a CP-4 problem and their experiences in getting a timely repair done.
Shoot this sounds like the crap some people put up with at the RV dealer.
I am pretty sure as explained by the man at SS Fueled that water, fuel quality, and additives have little to do with the CP4 failures. It is a design flaw and it is likely that Ford "coating" an internal part will prevent it from turning and causing the failure. Time will tell...
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #16

mUSt bE spECial

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsrv View Post
I am pretty sure as explained by the man at SS Fueled that water, fuel quality, and additives have little to do with the CP4 failures. It is a design flaw and it is likely that Ford "coating" an internal part will prevent it from turning and causing the failure. Time will tell...
Lack of lubrication (primary cause), water and rust (ie; fuel contamination) is what the people on Fords forum boards that this has happened to say. Ford says bad fuel causes this failure and denies the clam to the tune of $10,000 dollars. A few have sited the piston in the bore of the CP-4 has turned and destroyed the pump sending metal every where but that is a warrantable issue. But the contamination issue is primary cause and S&S and others with these disaster kits is only a band aid to the problem. It is preventable by a more robust fuel pump coatings and even better fuel filters/water separators that can stand up to our crummy diesel. Bosh has stated that we don`t have this problem like you Americans do. Their diesel is held to a much higher standard than ours. As read in an article I can`t find right now or I would post it, it`s out there maybe you can find it.

I just want the truck to run like the trucks I`ve had all my life. It sounds pretty stupid to buy a truck based on what fuel pump it has now doesn't it.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:32 AM   #17

I have a 2011 Power Stroke with 142,000. As one poster stated I try to fuel up at high volume stations and regularly use Opti-lube as an additive. 6 months ago I installed a FASS lift pump.
rcg270 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, pump

« Air cooler P026A | - »