Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Powerstroke Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

Looking at Powerstroke engine in a Sunseeker

It's a 2006 so I assume it's the 6.0 PS engine. Anyone have any opinions on that engine (33k miles).
Robot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #2

Having had 2 Ford pickups with that engine--I would not buy one without setting aside $$ for bulletproofing it. Google 'bulletproofing the Ford 6.0L' to see what it entails.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:13 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Was given an offer I couldn't refuse for an '06 almost six years ago. Did a lot of research on the 6.0 and found a thread on some truck forum from a retired Ford engine assembler. He said the blocks they got in box cars would be put on engine stands to bolt on whatever. When they rotated them sometimes casting sand would come out. International made them for school buses & oil coolers, etc. weren't added. (Researched how well these did in buses and found out they were seriously great!) He went on and said how since Ford never flushed the blocks out, anyone buying one should right away. My new/old truck only had 28k miles on it so I did that at a Jiffy Lube. Coolant coming out was actually grey in color! I added an aftermarket spin on coolant filter and have had none of the problems others claim to have had at all in 60k miles.

What the Ford guy went on to say was that this casting sand (silicate) would get into the little tubes of the oil cooler and such, and they'd clog up. This would decrease oil flow, increase engine temp and do nasty stuff. It's also why there were no major problems with that engine in school bus applications.

Most of what you hear about the 6.0 is second, third and sometimes 18th hand in my book. I've heard directly from only one person who actually had a blown head gasket, and it wasn't due to 'stretched bolts' but running with turbo over pressure and engine over temp. Several have told me they got over 200k miles before selling their trucks. One claimed 400k and then had to junk it after an accident.

If you're getting a good deal, it's been well taken care of and low mileage, I'd go for it. Check what the coolant looks like though and get a power flush if the previous owner hasn't done that. Not cheap, but worth it.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:16 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Having had 2 Ford pickups with that engine--I would not buy one without setting aside $$ for bulletproofing it. Google 'bulletproofing the Ford 6.0L' to see what it entails.
Listen to Wingnut 60! Once it has been "bullet proofed" you will have a great motor. It will cost you! I owned an '06 Ford King Ranch F-250 with the 6.0L.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

Thanks for all the great replies! I passed on it bc of the condition of the coach and other issues. The engine was running fine etc but after we added everything up it wasn't worth what they were asking. It's tempting to have that power plant running an RV but the fact is it's just a fantasy to hope it's working right - like purchase and cross your fingers. It could very well be perfect but I know that the V10s and other engines are reliable and there's a lot of mechanics who work on them. The thought of any chance of having to lift the cab and house to change the head out is a bit much...
Old 12-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #6

The engine comes out the front on E series vans. Here is a 3 min time lapse video showing the removal.

JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
The engine comes out the front on E series vans. Here is a 3 min time lapse video showing the removal.

Yikes! However it comes out, better him than me...

Tags
engine, power, sunseeker