Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 06:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
The OPs comparison rigs are not at the same level. In order to do a fair comparison go with the Coach that is the direct competitor to the Newmar rig, which I believe would be the IKON.
What he said.. ^
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 06:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
The OPs comparison rigs are not at the same level. In order to do a fair comparison go with the Coach that is the direct competitor to the Newmar rig, which I believe would be the IKON.
New IKONs are in the $700k-$800k range, so they are substantially more than a Supreme Aire, but to your point, the OP was comparing different classes of RVs. The Renegade Explorer directly matches up to the Supreme Aire. I can’t imagine anyone who knows anything about trucks choosing a Supreme Aire over the Explorer, but there are many people who prefer form over function. That and Newmar is much better at marketing.
Paul R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:10 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The other comparison point for us was, while I really liked the cab layout of the cascadia (very automotive-like, cruise and phone on wheel etc) vs M2-106 (which my wife couldn't believe still has an ash tray), couldn't justify the $100K+ delta since we will only be pulling a Wrangler or my F150.

We were impressed with both the Renegade and Newmar. Came down to features, price and interior color (wife is super picky on this stuff if we are going to be in it for extended periods).

FYI, if you plan to order, my Newmar build date just slipped to middle of June. As we all know, these dates all move out, not in.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #18

Since you are looking at quality super C's, take the time to stop by Showhauler. In my opinion, the best constructed coach out there. All steel welded frame powder coated and wet painted prior to build, double insulation, aluminum exterior skin, one piece aluminum roof, galvanized basement compartments, wiring run through wire tubes instead of just tied to the frame rails. All systems that require maintenance are accessible. Lower depreciation than most others.
Our next coach will be one of these, used of course!
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:54 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
mtflybox, what did you guys end up getting??

FYI - the 2021 Newmar Superstar does not have an ashtray or a cigarette lighter.. they apparently listened to the feedback on that and got rid of them
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:44 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
GUS2000, if true thats great since we ordered a Superstar 3746.

Had all the features we wanted and we had to be well under 40' for the places we visit.

Two specials off the std list, AGM batteries and we wanted a single large kit sink vs the split sink.

Gonna go third party with the solar panels but haven't decided with who yet.

Now I'm just itching to get the thing...

-Mark
Old 03-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammond1980 View Post
Since you are looking at quality super C's, take the time to stop by Showhauler. In my opinion, the best constructed coach out there. All steel welded frame powder coated and wet painted prior to build, double insulation, aluminum exterior skin, one piece aluminum roof, galvanized basement compartments, wiring run through wire tubes instead of just tied to the frame rails. All systems that require maintenance are accessible. Lower depreciation than most others.
Our next coach will be one of these, used of course!
I agree. Also, if you work with a dealer willing to deal, a modest, custom build is less expensive than many would think.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:25 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
JJP,
Curious about your decisions thus far? It is an exciting process for sure.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:09 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
those are great upgrades.. wish I had thought of the sink!!!!
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #24

You are comparing apples/oranges. You should be looking/comparing the Renegade Classic, XL, or Ikon as all have the larger engines and twin screws. Good luck!
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:31 PM   #25

I never thought I needed or wanted a tandem axle. Then I drove one, and now I own a tandem axle and the stability, handling, and stopping power of 8 drive wheels is truly a difference maker. Also, if you’re comparing a class 8 OTR rig to any business class rig, stop. There is no comparison.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFed 90-10 View Post
I never thought I needed or wanted a tandem axle. Then I drove one, and now I own a tandem axle and the stability, handling, and stopping power of 8 drive wheels is truly a difference maker. Also, if you’re comparing a class 8 OTR rig to any business class rig, stop. There is no comparison.
There are advantages and disadvantages to the OTR and Business class rigs. The deciding factor is intended use. I wanted something that I could use and maneuver in a state park. This required a shorter RV with as little overall height as possible. Even a short OTR rig is not as maneuverable as a single axle M2 Business class, which has a greater wheel cut . A tandem axle OTR is worse in the maneuverability department. Further, a shorter, tandem axle OTR rig has pitifully lacking storage compartments. I really like the OTR rigs, they just didn’t work for me. It all boils down to how the RV will be used.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:50 PM   #27

HP

You cannot have too much HP.
tetonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote