Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #1

2021 Super C help

We are looking at a 2021 Newmar Supreme Aire 4051 and comparing to a 2021 Renegade Verona LE 40LRB. The Newmar has a 505 hp engine and the Renegade 350. Also the Newmar has a tandle axle in the rear and the Renegade one axle. With that being said, it appears the Newmar is better but I'm not sure we need the bigger hp. Also, are the two comparible as far a quality? Are we missing any other important items to compare?
JJPCheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2020, 11:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPCheers View Post
We are looking at a 2021 Newmar Supreme Aire 4051 and comparing to a 2021 Renegade Verona LE 40LRB. The Newmar has a 505 hp engine and the Renegade 350. Also the Newmar has a tandle axle in the rear and the Renegade one axle. With that being said, it appears the Newmar is better but I'm not sure we need the bigger hp. Also, are the two comparible as far a quality? Are we missing any other important items to compare?
I wouldn’t hesitate on the Supreme Aire with those spec choices. Also Newmar quality is at the top of the production coach market.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:37 AM   #3

A Renegade Classic or XL would be a better comparison (price/feature wise). Classics come either single or tandem. XLs are tandem. Chassis is either M2-112, Cascadia or Volvo. The LE is a M2-106. Lots of ways to mix/match. What dives people to tandem is what they tow. Some of the Renegade racing crew pull trailers over 20k which puts them in the tandem world. If you're not pushing the tow limit a single works fine in the 40 ft range.
All Most... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
The Supreme Aire 4051 will blow the Verona LE out of the water in your test drives... We looked at the Supreme Aire 4051 and ended up with the Super Star 4051.. Final decision boiled down to us on the difference in cost and the extra slide.. The extra slide in the Supreme Aire adds floor space but you lose a seat with the shorter couch.. so its a trade off.. Good Luck!! The Newmar Super C is a great product... we have test drove every Super C out there and the bar has now been raised by Newmar in this segment in my opinion.
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #5

I have owned a Dynamax on the M2 with 350HP and now have a Haulmark built on a class 8 semi with 515HP. There is really no comparison in the 2.
I would do a very complete test drive of both. More than just the normal 30 minutes around the block. Take it down the highway at speed on a windy day, let some semi's pass you.
Renegade has a good reputation but like one of the prior posts mentioned, check out one of their big ones.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #6

We went with Renegade over Newmar Super C because of tank capacity. I am just not sure what engineer thought it a good idea to have the fresh water tank capacity be considerably more than the gray and black tanks can hold. Would be very easy to overflow your tanks unless you monitor them closely and stay close to a dump station.
Njoy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #7

If you are planning to tow heavy weight the tag axle is worth it’s weight in gold as far as ride and handling. The 350 horse motor can be turned up a lot. If you are just pulling a car flat tow it does not matter . Ride space and budget.
Okracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okracer View Post
The 350 horse motor can be turned up a lot.
Care to expand more on that? Any specific tuners/programmers you have experience with relative to the L9?

Thanks!
JT
fountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okracer View Post
If you are planning to tow heavy weight the tag axle is worth it’s weight in gold as far as ride and handling. The 350 horse motor can be turned up a lot. If you are just pulling a car flat tow it does not matter . Ride space and budget.
More important than can HP be increased, is the mated Allison transmission capable of handling the increased HP and torque.
reference: Cummins 2019 transmission specs, MH series is on pg. 15.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
More important than can HP be increased, is the mated Allison transmission capable of handling the increased HP and torque.
reference: Cummins 2019 transmission specs, MH series is on pg. 15.
Essentially the same specs, but these coaches actually utilize the TRV series transmissions (page 41). I was more curious if anyone had personal experience with an aftermarket tuner/programmer that turned the L9 up closer to the 450HP/1250ft-lbs limit of these Allison transmissions...it sounded like Okracer might.
fountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Don't forget to look at the Renegade Explorer. It's been reintroduced. Price-point between the LE and Classic. We looked at them a few weeks back. We opted for a Superstar for a couple of reasons. But, the difference in black/grey tank capacity as mentioned earlier can be important depending on how you use the rig.

Moving from an Airstream, all these features are luxurious.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS2000 View Post
The Supreme Aire 4051 will blow the Verona LE out of the water in your test drives... We looked at the Supreme Aire 4051 and ended up with the Super Star 4051.. Final decision boiled down to us on the difference in cost and the extra slide.. The extra slide in the Supreme Aire adds floor space but you lose a seat with the shorter couch.. so its a trade off.. Good Luck!! The Newmar Super C is a great product... we have test drove every Super C out there and the bar has now been raised by Newmar in this segment in my opinion.
Nothing can blow Renegade out of the water. I am not saying there is not nicer Super C motorhomes as far as bells and whistles and I am sure Newmar has set the bar higher because they are known for their extra quality but Renegade is a quality well built motorhome. They are well known also for their after the sale support from the factory. I know because I have one. I am looking to sell it at this point but it has nothing to do with quality nor drivability. It is simply wanting more room that a Class A DP has to offer which no Super C can match. Ive had both. It is and has been a great motorhome and will be hard to part with for sure. The power it has as far as climbing grade is 2nd to none. You can only go so fast according to speed limits and mine has never had a problem in that dept I assure you. Do not hesitate to look at and buy a Renegade or a Newmar in the Super C... They are both quality rigs..
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:51 AM   #13

If you’re shopping Newmar v. Renegade, I’ll add the following:

Compare the curb weights and resulting power-to-weight ratios of the M2 106 based models. The M2 106 based Newmar (Super Star) is over 6,000 lbs heavier than a comparable M2 106 based Renegade Verona, resulting in a substantially reduced power-to-weight ratio.

Compare the price of the M2 112 based Newmar (Supreme Aire) with a similarly priced Class 8 Renegade with a Freightliner Cascadia, Volvo, Western Star or Peterbilt chassis. Newmar is charging a premium price for an antiquated, medium duty M2 112. For a price similar to the Supreme Aire, you can have a modern, heavy duty Renegade on Cascadia, Volvo, etc. chassis. There is no comparison in my view.
Paul R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:39 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
2021 Super C help

The OPs comparison rigs are not at the same level. In order to do a fair comparison go with the Coach that is the direct competitor to the Newmar rig, which I believe would be the IKON.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote