Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
A Truck Conversion It Will Be

I have made up my mind, my dream rig will be a truck conversion. It may be 1 year out or it may be 5 years, but that is the direction I want to go. Having been around racing for the last 15 years, I am familiar with some of the more popular makes like Renegade and Show Hauler. I have done some research and found a few others. I have found a couple of Custom shops like Hawk Engineering . Just looking at their web page, their stuff looks pretty solidly built. Anybody know anything about them?

I want the capability of towing a enclosed trailer or stacker, for hauling toys and vehicle. So far, I have a lot of questions like lengths etc. I know in Texas and many others, the max combined length is 65', but many of the rigs I have seen are 45' for the coach. I would appreciate any information that I can get.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Yup, me too. I'm still in the planning stages using a CAD program but it absolutely will be a class 8 conversion. I have had an opportunity to drive two of these and the idea works for me. Even the wife is sold on the idea after spending a few nights in one.
There are several real good custom builders out there and Hawk is on the list.
Keep us posted.
Dogtales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
After 2 Class A's I purchased an NRC Class 8. Best move I ever made. There is no comparison in quality, handling, and ease of service. You may want to consider NRC, I toured there facility and was so impressed I bought one. These things are built like a fortress. Mine has a 13 speed freedom automatic, 515 Detroit and gets 7.5 mpg. I tow a 32 foot T&E stacker with 2 cars when we are racing and it drives great while towing. I also camp with it several times a year. Mine has solid granite countertops throughout, granite tile floors, outside freezer/fridge, 200 gal. fresh water, 200 gallon diesel, 100 black and 100 gray. Downside is weight, mine weighs 41,000. Towing cap. is 40,000. This is the first coach that I have been impressed with the build quality and don't spend all my time putting it back together after each use. What's odd is the pricing of these coaches is very comparable with mid to high end class A's.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #4

Good choice congrats....Hawk is supposed to be good, I would like to see an updated website, it has been "COMING SOON" for several years now.
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #5

I commend you for setting your sights on a Truck Conversion. I owned an Allegro class A ('92 so it was old when I got it) and then my present t/c. Love the t/c chassis. It seems like most people that have t/c's had other chassis before. I know of one person that had a t/c, went to a class A, then went back to a t/c. Good luck with your search. There are pretty many used ones available for pennies on the dollar.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I tow a 32 foot T&E stacker with 2 cars when we are racing and it drives great while towing.
Thanks for that. I am looking at the NRC website. What is your overall length and how do you go through states like Texas where the max combined length is 65'? I assume these rigs are considered a truck and not a truck-tractor?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
congrats on making the choice to be different. I like many literally made mine My own.
I only plan to tow a Max of say 12K with mine so I found a Class 7 truck 10K & 20K axles W/air brakes and the smaller MDT size engine (5.9 12V Cummins).
Its is slowly becoming what I really want.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Overall length is close to 80 feet. It is registered as an RV. I know that the maximum length in Texas is 65 feet but, to date I have not had any issues with being stopped. I did speak to a DPS weights and measures and he stated that it is a bit of a gray area since it is classified as an RV and not a truck. He did say that he does not typically pull over motorhomes over length as almost all of the race type motorhomes and others such as Rv,s pulling enclosed trailers are over length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 NRC 193.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	42843   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 NRC 195.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	42844  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 NRC 194.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	42845  
Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #9

Really, really nice. I am so envious. Safe travels.
Dogtales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Overall length is close to 80 feet. It is registered as an RV. I know that the maximum length in Texas is 65 feet but, to date I have not had any issues with being stopped. I did speak to a DPS weights and measures and he stated that it is a bit of a gray area since it is classified as an RV and not a truck. He did say that he does not typically pull over motorhomes over length as almost all of the race type motorhomes and others such as Rv,s pulling enclosed trailers are over length.
That is a beauty. I found the thread from when you bought it. I would definitely like to find a deal like that. What type of car racing do you do?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf length_limits.pdf (1.23 MB, 50 views)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We run 1/8th mile X275 Drag Radial. Richard Freeman at Elite Motor Sports will have the largest invevtory or find you what you want. Here is a link to our shop and race cars.
Triangle Speed Shop
Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
We run 1/8th mile X275 Drag Radial. Richard Freeman at Elite Motor Sports will have the largest invevtory or find you what you want. Here is a link to our shop and race cars.
Triangle Speed Shop
I stumbled on his site in my search. I 'm sure that I will be talking to them.

I don't race but have been involved in drag boat racing for 15 years. I am the National Rescue Diver Coordinator for Lucas Oil Drag Boat Racing Series. I travel to all the national events. We were supposed to race in Augusta, GA last weekend but the 28th annual event was cancelled due to flooding. Our next race is in August but it is only 20 min from my house, in Marble Falls.

Nice web site. Do you sell anything to the boat guys?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
Triangle Speed Shop
Rich is a good guy to deal with, he hooked us up....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The only drag boat we've ever been involved with is setting up a nitrous system on a 2.5 liter Mercury drag boat.