Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Backup Monitor

As promised, here is a picture of the 7" monitor I installed for the backup and side cameras.

This monitor in conjunction with the Voyager camera control installed by Renegade, allow anywhere from 1 to 4 cameras to be displayed at the same time.

I am utilizing a tablet cup holder device to mount it for the time being (the cup holder is near useless anyway) until I find a place I like better. The monitor comes with a dash/windshield adjustable bracket that attaches with double sided tape.

The whole job took about an hour.

Products used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may also notice I have heat shields in the windshield and side windows. It's amazing how much heat they reduce in the cab and body of the coach. I highly recommend them:

Freightliner Odyssey & M2 Cab Sunshade 2004-2018
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170905_101250.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	175654  
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

looks very nice Paul.
I will have to get some of those heat shields.
Wish I could get a ADCO vinyl outside cover like I had with the Gulfstream.
But this would at least cover all the windows, and for a fair price.

please update on how you like the 2nd monitor, how did you get to the camera wiring ?
Thanks
Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Bruce, I may get a chance to use the new monitor in a couple of days with Irma heading our way. I stuck around for the hurricane last year, won't do it again this time lol.

Getting to the wiring is pretty easy. You remove about a dozen Torx screws holding the dash surround. You then remove 3 more Torx screws to release the fake wood part of the dash. Next you pull the radio. I let it hang by the remaining wires and had plenty of room to find wires. I tapped the ground wire from the power outlet and tapped 12v at the Truck/Trailer switch (big purple wire). I may need to hook the trigger wire to the reverse light circuit so all turns on when R is chosen. All works fine without the trigger wire if the monitor is on and I forgot to test if I needed the trigger wire lol.

If you or anyone else works on the dash, I would recommend that you use a hand Torx screw driver, not a power one. The screws go into spring clips which can easily be over powered and if not that, the plastic where the screws go through is thin and it wouldn't take too much to screw the screws through the plastic.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

I like that mount. Thanks for sharing the link.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #5

So is the 7" big enough or would a 9" be better?
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

While the cupholder is certainly a suitable temporary resting place, I'm leaning more toward a higher location. I'm almost thinking that somewhere on the top of the dash, either with windshield suction or double sided tape, would work for me.

I want it to be easily visible with a head "turn" instead of a head turn and a look downward....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe II View Post
So is the 7" big enough or would a 9" be better?

I originally thought I wanted the 9", but it is really quite big if you want to mount it on the dash. I think it would block too much of my view no matter where on the dash or overhead I mounted it.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
While the cupholder is certainly a suitable temporary resting place, I'm leaning more toward a higher location. I'm almost thinking that somewhere on the top of the dash, either with windshield suction or double sided tape, would work for me.

I want it to be easily visible with a head "turn" instead of a head turn and a look downward....
I agree with you. As I noted, the drink holder is only a temp location (unless I like it there). I didn't want to semi-permanently mount it until I drove awhile with it in various locations.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

The backup monitor is a success!

Still not sure where it will end up, but just returned from a short trip overnight, used it at night and during the day no problems.

This particular monitor has a number of dead pixels and will call them on Monday for a replacement, but it works fine otherwise.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
The backup monitor is a success!

Still not sure where it will end up, but just returned from a short trip overnight, used it at night and during the day no problems.

This particular monitor has a number of dead pixels and will call them on Monday for a replacement, but it works fine otherwise.
Glad to hear this!!!

Took my rig out to the satellite dealer on Thursday and as it was a bright sunny day, it pretty much rendered the monitor useless, as presently mounted...

We spent the weekend in the mountains of Boone watching college sports, but when I arrived home last night, we had a package that contains my new console.....WOOT!!!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
Glad to hear this!!!

Took my rig out to the satellite dealer on Thursday and as it was a bright sunny day, it pretty much rendered the monitor useless, as presently mounted...
We somewhat solved this by getting a stick on 'visor' that mounts over the display. It helps alot, but not ideal... at least I can see it now in sunlight.

DW was having a good time trying to tune in XM stations this past weekend...
I have no idea how I would work the radio moving down the road, touch screen is not sausage hand's friendly
Old 09-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Actually the visor or "hood" over the top of the screen seems like a pretty good jury rig, in order to at least see the screen.

The boss has me busy getting everything in it's place in the rest of the rig, so I've not had time to look at the monitor....
Old 09-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #13

The hood we got from Amazon

GlareStomper 320 Sun Shade Visor
Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

backup monitor

I too did not care for the location or the size of the image from the backup monitor. I was so impressed by your solution so much that I just finished my install. I mounted my monitor on the dash with 3m double sided tape. I want to be able to "live" with it before I mount it permanently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	189032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	189033  

DReiser is offline   Reply With Quote