Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #1

I am wondering what most people are doing for cabinets in their conversions.

Are you having them custom made?
Or
Are you just buying off the shelf Home Depot cabinets?

Is there a company out there that builds cabinets specifically for rvs or conversions since the sizes, uses, and types are fairly conmmon from model to model?
racer17m is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #2

I am wondering what most people are doing for cabinets in their conversions.

Are you having them custom made?
Or
Are you just buying off the shelf Home Depot cabinets?

Is there a company out there that builds cabinets specifically for rvs or conversions since the sizes, uses, and types are fairly conmmon from model to model?
racer17m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #3

There are several cabinet shops that build for the manufacturers in and around Elkhart, possibly one of them would build what you are interested in.
I'm building my own frames but will out source the doors to a local shop here in OKC. Found out they will build raised panel doors cheaper than I can build them myself.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #4

What types of wood are used? Is there an advantage to using a lighter wood so that the GVWR isn't compromised? Anyone ever use pine? I've looked clear through all the pictures. Maybe it doesn't make much weight difference. Also, do any of the manufacturers build with Aluminum instead of steel?
Super Class C 4 Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #5

I don't really think weight is a concern for most of the truck conversions. I think you should pick something that will hold up under the stress of the American highway system. I think that Wildside has done some in Aluminum. I had the ones in my sleeper built per my specs by Show Hauler becouse they did the conversion and I wanted it all to match.
Wick
WickCopland is offline   Reply With Quote