Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #1

DynaQuest XL vs. Renegade Verona LE

I am new to the RV world, going to be moving from MN to Montana in the next two years to retire. Going to build a house and the wife and I want a RV to spend a few weeks at a time in Montana while the house is being build. I have a Class B, CDL with air brake license. I have narrow down me options to a Renegade Verona LE or a Dynaquest XL. I have been on the forums for the past year reading what i can. I was set on the Renegade, thinking it may be a better build RV but the Dynaquest with the 450 HP and 1250 torque bigger engine has me interested. It would be a 100 HP, 100 torque and a larger radiator than the Renegade. I will be pulling a 4,000 tote and will be living south of Missoula. I have driven large trucks of this size on and off for years but always on flat MN or Iowa roads. How big a difference would the larger motor be in the Dynamax Dynaquest be on 3 to 5% grades? On the open flat road i would say both would be fine. To be fair I have not kicked tires or slammed any doors for these two RV’s yet but i will. Renegade seems to have a great coach but you read good and bad on both. Also I have read that the Dynaquest replaces the driver and passenger seats with a high end brand vs the Freightliner seats..
Thanks all for the help
Dan
Dan_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 06:23 AM   #2

I would go to the dealers and spend some time in each coach looking at the build quality and equipment offered in each coach. Then test drive both and see for yourself how each coach handles and runs. It will make it easier to determine what’s important for you.

Our Verona LE is our first coach and after 14k miles I find the power to be adequate having made trips to Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Texas.

I find Renegades customer service to be first class. We did have a couple of warranty issues come up and they always resolved them quickly.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #3

In my research I drove numerous Dynamax, Dynaquest, and Renegades. The Dynas typically have greater rear wheel overhang which has some effect on stability in windy conditions or when Semis pass. Also, turning radius is a little better with Dynas because of the rear overhang but this also contributes to rear end drag in and out of stations, shopping centers, driveways, etc. Power wise, no noticeable difference. I have been over the Rockies, Smokies, Appalachians and everything in between with the 350 L9 I have, have rarely been unable to maintain at least 55mph, towing a little over 4,000 lb. A 7% grade slows me down to about 50.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #4

Steve
Thanks much for the reply, I hope to see and drive both brands in the next few months. I have heard many good things about Renegade’s quality. Can you give me your opinion on the driving experience for both. I realize they build on the same chassis, how about pluming, cabinets, fit and finish, squeaks and noises while traveling??
Thanks again Dan
Old 09-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #5

Dan -- You just nailed the reason we bought a Renegade. After driving numerous Dynas and being told by the salesman how they would take care of all my issues (most were rattles and build quality issues) I still chose the Verona. Every Dyna I drove had build issues and even the used ones had these problems that were never fixed. To be fair, I don't know that the previous owner ever tried to get them fixed but most were related to rattles and poor fitting cabinetry. After the salesman tried to convince me that they would take care of all issues, I asked him why they were sent from the factory this way. He replied that Forest River (Dynaxs parent company) expect the distributor to take care of the issues. "Then why don't you take care of them before letting someone drive them and be disappointed in the experience," I asked. Cost! Not all issues are pertinent to all people...some people don't mind rattles etc. Their main purpose is to make sure the RV is safe...other issues are subject to individual preferences. Now, I am not badmouthing Dynas! They are good RVs but having tight cabinets and being as rattle free as possible are important factors to us. Dynamax just did not have anything that provided this when compared to the Veronas. Theirs had plenty of glitz and looked great but for noise free driving they compared more to the run-of-the-mill, no frills class Cs. Also note that the Dynas, although MSRP is comparable to a Renegade, will negotiate a much better price than Renegade. When looking at them both and trying to negotiate, the salesman told me I wanted Renegade at a Dynamax price, but he couldn't give it. One very strong point is the Dyna paint job. Absolutely superb...much better than Renegade, IMO. Two more quick points. Dynas have more rear axle overhang which typically will tend to make handling a little more tiresome and be subjected to hitch drag in and out of parking areas or dips in the road. I have never driven on for hours at a time but I know from experience that rear overhang can cause additional effort in handling...semis passing or high winds. The other issue is the storage bays. I believe Dynas still use some sort of plastic compound for their bays. In fact, they used to advertise that as a benefit due to it making the RV lighter. I tend to load my bays down and I know some of them would have broken and dropped off the frame for me. I have heard of this happening a time or two with the Dynas...Renegade uses steel for their bays...they are strong. So, if you are not as objectional about rattles while travelling and like the extra glitz Dynas offer at a less expensive price, Dyna might be the way to go. Or, you can pay a little more and have less glitz with a Renegade. Just my experience and opinions from when I was looking. Both are great machines but offer slightly different advantages. Oh, one more thing. If you are looking at a Renegade Valencia investigate it well. It seems to me they are having many more problems with the S2RV chassis they use on the Valencia.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #6

I would not want the tail swing of a Dynaquest. My Verona LE 40 LTS must have been built on a Wednesday....very few issues. It was the only coach, that I can afford, that comes close to what I had in my Blue Bird Wanderlodge.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #7

Thank much for the advice, I have only read forums in the past year about class C’s. Renegade Verona’s have been the one i keep coming back to. Two years ago i was in the market for a Class A, i drove a few and and visited a few factory’s to see how they are build. I settled on the Newell brand but got cold feet when it comes to rear engine maintenance. The Newells are build well compared to other class A i could tell that when i drove one. Build quality is more important to me than glitz. Inventory is low and prices are high right now because of COVID. That may change next summer.
Again thanks much
Dan
Old 09-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you’re comparing a Newell, 2.6 million to fiberglass class A’s, you may have meant Newmar. The normal comparison for a Newell is Prevost.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #9

Speaking of Newmar has anyone on here considered the Newmar Super Star in their research? Seems it would compete with the Verona and Dynamax.
Bud1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #10

I wish i could afford a new Newell in the $2 million range, i was looking at a 2005 to 2008 which run about $400,000.00. 2005 and later Newell upgraded the rear tag to be steerable at low speeds...
Old 09-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Bud. Take a look at the Newmar Super C coach.
https://www.newmarcorp.com/super-c-m...es/super-star/
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #12

I have been reading about the Newmar, they are the only one that have the cab and the camper separated be a baffle, and the cab is on an air ride system. I was riding the forums on Newmar and you see a lot about bad windows even windows falling out going down the road.. anyone have an opinion on Newmar??
Old 09-29-2020, 06:14 AM   #13

Newmar - very overpriced M2 based Super C. If you are going to spend that much, look at custom building a Renegade Classic or Showhauler on Cascadia, Volvo, Peterbilt, etc. chassis.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #14

Class A vs. Verona vs. Dynamax

If you have decided on a Super C vs. a Class A Diesel Pusher, it could be that you have traded more interior space for a superior driving experience. The biggest factor in this decision for us was how much actual driving we expected to do and how much of it would be while towing. If you move tend to move around a lot, the Super C's are simply much better on the road. If you plan to tow, the Super C will perform much better than a Class A. Also, diesel shops do not like diesel pusher motorhomes and they charge extra for working on them and self-performing engine maintenance is a BIG hassle.

We looked at Renegade and Dynamax before we bought. The main reasons we chose the Renegade Verona were what we saw as benefits tied to the Renegade design and construction:
- Shorter box overhang behind the rear axle. Renegade pays extra for the longer Freightliner wheelbase chassis, which simply handles better and provides better chassis ground clearance at the tail of the coach.
- Superior cabinet construction. Admittedly not as "fancy" as Dynamax, but built strong and tight.
- Welded steel exterior storage bins with full box openings and double door closure latches and full-perimeter automotive-type door seals.
- ALL of the passenger side bins are fully open and available for storage. he utilities are kept in the driver's side bins. Great because I am using the passenger side of the coach when at the campground.
- Renegade's current and past reputation for build quality and factory support.

We are very happy with the Renegade Verona. Similar to other rigs we've owned, it's got about 90% of what we want overall. Like most of us, the 10% extra lives in the custom order market and we have yet to hit the lottery.

You really do need to spend some time on dealer's lots, without a salesman present, to compare what is most important to you. In the end, you'll most likely buy the coach layout that the wife likes the best. That's why it's important to compare everything else before you buy.

Good Luck!
bkesslersr is offline   Reply With Quote