Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #1

Easy Macerator Upgrade for Renegade & Others - Mike Mas

Easy Macerator Upgrade for Renegade & Others - Mike Mas

Hello all - Since our new Renegade Verona came equipped with a macerator toilet, I was somewhat disappointed to find out there was no macerator on the dump valve. Since my last 3 RV’s were all equipped with a macerator pumps, I’ll have to admit I’m spoiled. Once you have one of these systems on your RV, you won’t be able to live without it.

Having the ability to pump uphill or even pump into a household toilet in an emergency, is priceless. Generally when we’re heading home from a trip, we seldom stop at campgrounds, so I’ll deal with the tank when we get home, using my own 4” dump station which goes to the septic field.

To remedy the Problem - I ordered a RecPro 12 volt Macerator Pump which sells for $129, available at a number of online stores. The pump assembly is unique since it comes fully assembled with a dump flange, so it instantly mounts to the renegades sewer hose connection. All you’ll need ito be operational is a 1” 20-ft hose and a 12 volt supply and you’re good to go.

The RecPro Pump Assembly - Comes with a 10’ power cord equipped with a switch and cigar lighter plug which you clip off. Since the switch needed to be by the pump instead of the end of the wire, I rewired it around 12” from the pump then secured with some tie-wraps. Next, ran the 12 volt provided wire from the third tank compartment forward through a hole on the Renegade’s battery compartment firewall, then made my connection using a fused connection on the slide power feed in the battery bay compartment.

One of the nice features of the Renegade - Is they (almost) separate the fresh water compartment from the sewer connection. Regretfully, the tank flush and sewer hose is stored in the same fresh water compartment bay, so I removed the server hose holder and I’ll now use the flusher on the RecPro pump instead of my fresh water bay, totally separating the fresh water from the black water tank system.

Since the RecPro does not come with a 1” dump hose /w sewer fittings, you’ll need to purchase it separately. I happened to have an extra Thertford hose (# 70424) shown in the image, or you can opt for a Clean-Dump Macerator hose with fittings generally sells for around $50-60. Anyhow, the entire job only takes a few hours and cost less than $200 and I guarantee it makes this horrible job super easy, you’ll never regret having it on your coach!

Stay Safe - Mike Mas

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 03:41 AM   #2

Mike, thank you for posting this add-on/modification to the Verona. I have been wanting to add this option to my 2019 Verona also and will order up the parts and complete during this winter.

One question, is the bayonet from the macerator "clockable" just in case the 3" Verona is off.
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTuner View Post
Mike, thank you for posting this add-on/modification to the Verona. I have been wanting to add this option to my 2019 Verona also and will order up the parts and complete during this winter.

One question, is the bayonet from the macerator "clockable" just in case the 3" Verona is off.
Ray Hello I'm glad you asked that as I planed on mentioning the fit. I also was concerned it would be out of phase since the pump outlet can only clear with around 45 degrees of rotation. I can almost rotate it another flange spot but the outlet is very tight to the bottom of the compartment. If you get into trouble with position you'll always have the option of installing an automotive 90 degree rubber fitting on the outlet. Of course it's preferred not to install it if possible. Either way, the pump pressure will clear the hose on every occasion.

Stay Safe - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fitting.png
Views:	65
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	302008  
Old 09-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #4

I have the same macerator. I don't use it because it makes dumping take 10X as long. The only time I use it is if I'm pumping out at home.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lslblues View Post
I have the same macerator. I don't use it because it makes dumping take 10X as long. The only time I use it is if I'm pumping out at home.
Thanks for the reply - Perhaps you're going about it all wrong, I've been using sewer hoses for 3 decades, its without a doubt the worst part of camping.

I started using Macerators 3-4 years ago and never ever go back. All you do with the macerator is set it in the dump, turn on the macerator and pull the dump handles, there no hooking up or taking off a bulky sewer hose and feeding it through the bottom of the compartment and making sure its sloped to the dump. Worst part is picking up the dirty hose and trying to flush it out after each use then deal with storing it of all places your sanitary water bay. Since the macerator always remains hooked up and sealed you don't have to deal with seepage dripping down into your compartment when you take the hose off to store it either.

Regards - Mike
Old 09-24-2020, 03:09 AM   #6

Mike, Thank you again for your quick response on the phasing. I took a look at your photo and compared it to mine and it looks about the same.
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply - glad it's going to work out for you. I check around and I found the pump at the link below. I'll be posting a number of changes to my Renegade on my personal web site at rvvolt.com

Regards Mike

RecPro pump

https://www.recpro.com/recpro-12v-ma...quick-release/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 12.31.21 PM.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	302151  
Old 10-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #8

I installed a Thedford Turbo Conn 600 macerator when we bought out 2019 Verona. It’s an amazing upgrade. Two days ago we dumped our full black and Grey tanks and did both tanks in less than 10 minutes. (75 gallons per tank). It’s such a clean and easy process I think all Renegades should come with a macerator dump pre installed.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #9

Don't think I'm going about it all wrong. I don't mind the 3" hose. I have a system where I don't have any seepage. And I certainly don't store it in my wet bay.

To each their own - it would be far more painful for me to take 10+ minutes to dump every time than to run a sewer hose when we set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Thanks for the reply - Perhaps you're going about it all wrong, I've been using sewer hoses for 3 decades, its without a doubt the worst part of camping.

I started using Macerators 3-4 years ago and never ever go back. All you do with the macerator is set it in the dump, turn on the macerator and pull the dump handles, there no hooking up or taking off a bulky sewer hose and feeding it through the bottom of the compartment and making sure its sloped to the dump. Worst part is picking up the dirty hose and trying to flush it out after each use then deal with storing it of all places your sanitary water bay. Since the macerator always remains hooked up and sealed you don't have to deal with seepage dripping down into your compartment when you take the hose off to store it either.

Regards - Mike
Old 10-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Darby View Post
I installed a Thedford Turbo Conn 600 macerator when we bought out 2019 Verona. It’s an amazing upgrade. Two days ago we dumped our full black and Grey tanks and did both tanks in less than 10 minutes. (75 gallons per tank). It’s such a clean and easy process I think all Renegades should come with a macerator dump pre installed.

Doug,

Thanks for the reply - Everyone who uses a macerator wonders how they camped without one, just pull the hose out at any angle open the dumps and flip on the power what could be easier!

I included an image below of a hard foam rubber block I added under the pump, it supports the weight of the pump from the tank fitting.

Stay Safe Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mount.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	302996  
Old 10-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #11

Electrical

[QUOTE=Idleup;5451446][SIZE=2]Easy Macerator Upgrade for Renegade & Others - Mike Mas

Hello all - Since our new Renegade Verona came equipped with a macerator toilet, I was somewhat disappointed to find out there was no macerator on the dump valve. Since my last 3 RV’s were all equipped with a macerator pumps, I’ll have to admit I’m spoiled. Once you have one of these systems on your RV, you won’t be able to live without it.

Having the ability to pump uphill or even pump into a household toilet in an emergency, is priceless. Generally when we’re heading home from a trip, we seldom stop at campgrounds, so I’ll deal with the tank when we get home, using my own 4” dump station which goes to the septic field.

To remedy the Problem - I ordered a RecPro 12 volt Macerator Pump which sells for $129, available at a number of online stores. The pump assembly is unique since it comes fully assembled with a dump flange, so it instantly mounts to the renegades sewer hose connection. All you’ll need ito be operational is a 1” 20-ft hose and a 12 volt supply and you’re good to go.

The RecPro Pump Assembly - Comes with a 10’ power cord equipped with a switch and cigar lighter plug which you clip off. Since the switch needed to be by the pump instead of the end of the wire, I rewired it around 12” from the pump then secured with some tie-wraps. Next, ran the 12 volt provided wire from the third tank compartment forward through a hole on the Renegade’s battery compartment firewall, then made my connection using a fused connection on the slide power feed in the battery bay compartment.

One of the nice features of the Renegade - Is they (almost) separate the fresh water compartment from the sewer connection. Regretfully, the tank flush and sewer hose is stored in the same fresh water compartment bay, so I removed the server hose holder and I’ll now use the flusher on the RecPro pump instead of my fresh water bay, totally separating the fresh water from the black water tank system.

Since the RecPro does not come with a 1” dump hose /w sewer fittings, you’ll need to purchase it separately. I happened to have an extra Thertford hose (# 70424) shown in the image, or you can opt for a Clean-Dump Macerator hose with fittings generally sells for around $50-60. Anyhow, the entire job only takes a few hours and cost less than $200 and I guarantee it makes this horrible job super easy, you’ll never regret having it on your coach!

Stay Safe - Mike Mas

Awesome job, have a 2021 Verona 36VSB on order and happen to have a new Thetford macerator left over, from previous 5th wheel I didn’t install it on. Plumbing is easy for me but electrical not so much. I can’t tell from the photo or description where or how you wired it in , can you share more details please ?

Thanks in advance !
Mastertech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #12

Hello and thanks for the reply - here's an image of the hook-up.

I ran the wire forward and hiding it behind the lower lip of the compartment door opening secured it with AC foil tape. I penetrated the battery box wall then ran the wire upward (foil taped) and connected it to the slide feed protected circuit since it's unlikely I'll be dumping the tank while deploying the slide LOL.

For added security I added separate 20 amp fuse. If you look in this image you can see the green fuse holder exposed on the right side.

This wiring loom looks a bit different than your coach since all the AGM batteries were removed since I converted the coach to lithium batteries which are located on the passenger side.

Stay safe - Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8614.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	303393  
Old 10-05-2020, 04:23 AM   #13

Macerator

Thanks ! Clear now and makes sense
Mastertech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:21 AM   #14

Maybe a dumb question here: When we are spedning multiple days in a spot wit full hookups, I typically leave the gray tank open, and we don't worry about laundry or longer showers filling the tank. If using a Macerator sewer connection like this, are you still able to leave Gray line open, or do you need to keep both tanks closed until ready to dump?
Wandering Mcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, macerator, upgrade