Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #1

Freightliner/Cummins fluid change

Took my Verona in today to a Freightliner dealer for it's first service (fluids, etc). No warranty stuff was needed. I was stuck there for 6 hours and got me thinking. Why do I need to drive an hour to get general service when there are 3 HD truck service centers within 30minutes of me?

Do you take your unit to a chassis/engine dealer or a general service shop for non-warranty stuff?

This question is not limited to Freightliner and Cummins, but also to you Volver, PB, Kenworth, etc. owners.
cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

Documentation

Several reasons to use OEM service. If your unit is still under warranty you will have great documentation of regular scheduled services having been performed. The techs at the OEM dealerships are backed by factory service certification programs and are privy to any periodic service updates, upgrades or issue notifications. Everything is electronic these days and changes fast. Smaller shops may not have the funding necessary to keep up with technology. You will pay more and wait longer but it's worth it for the documentation...especially if you are under warranty.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
See if there is a Speedco near you.....they also do fluid sampling.
https://www.loves.com/truck-solutions/speedco/locations
Old 03-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #4

Thanks, that is awesome. There is a Speedco about 1.5hrs away, but on a highway we sometimes travel.

I would do it myself as I do for my tractors, boat, and cars, but I do not have a level space on the property to do it. The wheelbase is killing me.
I "could" use the leveling jacks to help, but I had a brown-pants misshap when restoring my IH 330 and the bottle jack got kicked. Not a good moment for me.

Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.
cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:42 AM   #5

I happen to have two dealers pretty close to me. However, I would not hesitate to use a reputable heavy truck service facility that was convenient. Just be sure they use the components that the manufacturer recommends, and keep good records.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #6

New engine...$25K, new transmission...$15K, and that's IF they do it right the first time around. Best to stay with verifiable factory authorized service facilities and technicians, at least while under warranty. I've been in the manufacturer's heavy truck sales and service business before and know there are tons of excellent independent shops out there...but, there's nothing worse than getting in the middle of finger pointing during a major component disaster.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

What are everyone's thoughts regarding the initial oil change interval? Perusing the owner's manual for the Cummins engine on my 2018 Valencia they recommend 15k miles for an RV duty cycle. Although I'm old school and not comfortable waiting that long.
BerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryS View Post
What are everyone's thoughts regarding the initial oil change interval? Perusing the owner's manual for the Cummins engine on my 2018 Valencia they recommend 15k miles for an RV duty cycle. Although I'm old school and not comfortable waiting that long.
My new Full Size van is 5K miles... I would think that 15K would be acceptable interval for an RV. It doesnt run that hard EVERY DAY.. You could have the oil checked, like others have recommended.
TwinSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:36 AM   #9

As you check oil levels along the way I always look at color of the oil. If there's still an amber tone (even a slight tone), then oil is good. I never let it go black on me for too long. It may call for more frequent changing but that's my program. As a general rule, 12-15K under normal driving conditions. Heavy mountain driving and extreme heat conditions, I would change at 10K. If you do this yourself it's so much more economical to do it more often.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryS View Post
I don't travel that much, and I'm now at 1 year of using the rig.
I plan on doing the oil change yearly...
The rig now has right around 8k miles on it...

Figure it's cheap insurance.

Oh and another member was told 5k miles for the FIRST oil change ?
I didn't get that info, but wish I had.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
If my feeble mind remembers correctly the service interval is either miles driven or annually - whichever comes first. You can't get away with longer than one year and stay in warranty.
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We spend much of January and February each year in AZ. Oil changes by Speedco in Casa Grande or there is a good mobile tech in that area. For repairs and other services I use a nearby truck shop that works on motorhomes.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

I do my own when home. Keep good records and warranty will not be an issue.

@BerryS I am conservative too. I'll first change the engine oil around 2k on this one. After that by the Cummins schedule.

Tags
cummins, fluid, freightliner