Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Freightliner M2 Dash Message Readability

All too often, I find it very hard to read the message section on my Freightliner M2 dash. I'm talking about the top, center display area, between tach and speedometer, where you can see total miles, outside temperature, battery voltage, cruise settings, etc.

Reading is most difficult when bright sun is coming thru the windshield, which seems to be most of the time I'm behind the wheel. I believe I've adjusted the dash back lights to their brightest levels. I've tried reading with/without glasses, with/without sun glasses, with/without headlights on, and with/without various attempts to shade the dash. I even had my dealer look for any way to increase brightness. SO FAR, NO JOY AT ALL!

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone else found something that helps? I ask because I assume important stuff, like messages about the engine/transmission, might go completely unnoticed in this section of the dash long after action should be taken.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #2

I have no answer as to why you are having that difficulty as I can see mine fine without having to turn it up bright. I do drive with polarized eye glasses but don't find they make a difference on the instrument panel.

Have you had the opportunity to look at another cab to see if that problem is the same?
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #3

Same here. I have no issues reading the information display in the brightest light coming in from the drivers side window.

Perhaps the display is bad and needs replaced. It sounds like something Freightliner could address for you.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

Mine are very bright. I agree that yours may be defective.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #5

Thanks to all. I’ll talk to my dealer.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

My 2020 LE has the same problem, can’t see it in daytime and if the sun is shining, forget,it.
truk4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:05 AM   #7

Talked to my dealer, and they explained it is a FL problem. They also said they would be happy to take it in to FL for me, but I think I will try to do that myself first. It's just more convenient that way.

I did drive it yesterday and, for the first time, made a very interesting observation. I noticed that I was able to read the message display area easily with sunlight coming thru the driver window and hitting the dash. (BTW, I never have trouble reading gauges - just the message area.) I was really surprised because I expected sunlight to simply overwhelm a display that is already too dim. Instead, it made a huge difference!!!

With nothing better to do while driving, I got to thinking that maybe a small LED could be stuck on somewhere to shine light onto the dash. There is a housing forward of the steering wheel that seems like a real good place for such a light. I also have seen battery powered self-adhesive LEDs for cabinets and such that might be a good option. Anyway, I'm thinking it might be a way to easily resolve the problem if FL denies it under warranty, which is kinda what I expect FL to do.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:47 PM   #8

DCGettingBy, id you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same problem with my new Dynamax with the M2 chassis. The dealer and Dynamax both point to Freightliner, and Freightliner says to bring it in for troubleshooting so unless there is a simple DIY fix I guess that's what I'll do.
DaveFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #9

Unfortunately, the problem was never resolved.

FWIW, I spoke with my FL dealer about this problem at least twice. Although my dealer was willing to take a look, those conversations gave me no confidence in reaching a positive outcome.

After unsuccessful trials with self-adhesive LEDs, I did find an LED penlight to be a "work-around". From time to time, and when safe to do so, I could grab my penlight and check for messages.

I certainly hope you find a more satisfying solution!
Old 05-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #10

Same problem but its a small one

I have the same problem. I have no issues while checking everything out while stopped. However, sometimes when I am driving it becomes annoying. I learned not worry about it.

The M2 dash needs some serious upgrading.

Tags
ada, dash, freightliner