Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Haulmark Status

I have been considering a Super C for a while. I have mostly been focusing on the Renegade models, as I have a couple dealers within a short drive. A friend offered me his 17 Haulmark Status V45DB for what I consider a good price. He currently has 15K on the coach. The coach has the Volvo 600hp/2050pd/tq 12 speed engine. He has ordered a 19 model and it will arrive in December. I know it is a quality built coach, but I just have not seen many of them here in my part of the country. I would appreciate anyone's input on the quality of the coach, chassis, and engine/transmission. It does have a 7 year transferable warranty.....thanks in advance for any input!
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

You are likely to get as many opinions on this as you can stand, so mine will get it started.

Go for it!

You know the history, you know the previous owner and if you believe him, and the price is right and you like it...Go for it.

Haulmark is a top notch quality builder. They are also on my short list if I decide to go class 8 based for my next motorhome.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #3

The question really is why wouldn't you do it? I say go for it.
cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cment View Post
The question really is why wouldn't you do it? I say go for it.
My only concern is with the engine and chassis, as I have no experience with either. I read on the Volvo website that this particular engine is no longer being manufactured/supplied in North America because of demand....
Old 07-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #5

Once you drive a Volvo you won't drive anything else. I have the D-13 engine with the same transmission. You will probably sacrifice MPG with the D-16 but you will have power. The I-shift trans is the very best. I would go take a 200 mile test drive and you will see what I mean.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #6

You don't see many truck conversions in general, anywhere. You'd have to run the motorsports circuit to see any concentration of them. They just aren't the average RVer's cup of tea.

IMHO (and others) Volvo is one of the best driving Semi-trucks. Quiet, smooth, user friendly, "non-trucky" displays and controls (in my opinion). However, because Volvo is not as common as the Detroit Diesel, Cummins, and Paccar powered platforms, you MAY experience a delay in getting parts (assuming you need them) in some rare instances. For this reason, over the road guys are not big fans of them, but it would be unlikely that you would find a truck conversion owner or a heavy hauler RVer who doesn't love their Volvo.

With regard to the truck conversion. You can't really go wrong with any of the big converters like Haulmark, Renegade, Showhauler, etc. They do their level best to build them to last as long as the truck chassis will.

I hope you've already bought it!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #7

Thanks for the information from everyone. His new one arrives in December, so I have plenty of time to decide. My wife wants to drive it, and she is concerned there are not enough windows, or seating in it like our current coach. I know it is a great coach, just not as educated on the D16 and 12 speed transmission. He gets a new one each year, so if this one does not work for her, then there will be another next year at this time. His new coach is going to be a Renegade XL with the DD engine. He likes to switch up manufacturers each year.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #8

Wow!
Old 08-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

I have a 2017 Showhauler with the Volvo D16 and 12 speed. We have put 25k miles on it and love it. Plenty of power and the transmission is amazing.

I could have selected other drivetrains but went with the Volvo because I was tired of Cummins telling me to take it to the Allison shop and the Allison shop saying it was a chassis issue. If (or when) I have issues there will be no pointing of fingers.

We get 6.3 mpg driving 75 and pulling a toad.
jpgrocery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgrocery View Post
I have a 2017 Showhauler with the Volvo D16 and 12 speed. We have put 25k miles on it and love it. Plenty of power and the transmission is amazing.

I could have selected other drivetrains but went with the Volvo because I was tired of Cummins telling me to take it to the Allison shop and the Allison shop saying it was a chassis issue. If (or when) I have issues there will be no pointing of fingers.

We get 6.3 mpg driving 75 and pulling a toad.
Thank-you!
Old 09-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #11

We just bought our Renegade and Haulmark I can tell you is on our wish list for the future... If you can get it the question is why not!!! Especially if you know the history of it.