Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Headlights unsafe for night travel!

I've seen quite a few posts here about upgrading the headlights on these big rigs, I have an International 4300 and replaced the 55/65 watt bulbs with Hella 65/100 watt bulbs, there was slight improvement but still not enough light to drive at night in the mountains. The problem is the reflector housings with the factory lights. I have experience with many other high end brands of lights and liked the Rigid marine line the best and was going to put a set on. Then I ordered an upgraded headlight for my KTM 690 Enduro R, it was from a small company called Motominded, they 3d printed the brackets and used these small low power consumption Baja Design units, I can't say enough how much brighter and precision the beam pattern is. I have seen them advertised but never seen them in use and crapped a load when I saw the prices they sell for! Made in California, Rigid is Chinese built. I know why almost every Baja 1000 vehicles uses them now. I put a set of fog lights and a 20" light bar on, the parts were about $1500.00, they output $150,000.00 of light, like 100 times the light of the factory headlamps. I can say that this is the best investment I have made in my truck.
Strongweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #2

I'll post better pics tomorrowClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180626_113248855_HDR.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	210185
Old 07-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #3

Here is a daytime picClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180709_073055034_HDR.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	210233
Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #4

Totally agree that the lights are inadequate especially in the mountains of the west where we have large animals traversing the roadways at the most opportune time. I have had my headlights updated by Deep Space Lighting which has helped for sure. Baja design lights and a Buckstop bumper are on my list for my M2. Well done Strongweld and thanks for sharing, your rig looks fantastic!
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, travel