Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #1

Hello all: Have been lurking on truckconversion.net and here, as well as other RV forums. Am ready to trade up to new motorhome, and am in a quandry. Can't seem to find what I want - anything from Slide-In Truck Camper to 40' diesel!! Currently have fairly new 30' Class C with 2 slides. I have been motorhoming part-time for 11 years, fulltime for 3 years. So, it's not like I don't know what I want at this point. Will be fulltiming in new vehicle and running the roads from Newfoundland to Alaska and all points in between (ie., small 2 lane roads, smaller campgrounds, boondocking alot...).

Someone suggested I look into Show Hauler, Renegade, and Haulmark. Found Show Hauler dealer in PA, closest to my home, but to date have not received requested info from him. Perhaps it's because I called as a "single white female"? hmmm.

I drove KW, Peterbilt, and Freightliner 18-wheelers for 5 years and a school bus for 1 year (in my younger, foolish days, haha), so have no fears of big rigs - actually prefer a 13 speed over the Allison 6 sp automatic - was even thinking of going back on the road, but decided living/playing in motorhome was preferable to working/driving 24 hrs/day.

Noticed most conversions seem to be in 25-35' range. That's okay for me, but seems an awful lot of truck for a short size (25'). Would consider 32'-34', with multiple slideouts, assuming the weight balances out. Anyone have experience with quality/operation of multiple slideouts on a truck conversion? Have noted the posting on the slideout or coach part interfering with fuel-ups.

I like the looks of Warpath's conversion on the outside, but seems a little hard to get through from the front (driving) seats to the living area. I also like the multiple windows (pictures of Prevost in one posting). I will require a major computer desk setup like the one in a rear slide-out (where did I see that???), lots of bright sunny colors - I am so tired of looking a off-white captain's chairs, dark wood, dark tan interior colors...... Ugh!

What was it like, dealing with ShowHauler? I am worried that they will look at me and think I'm nuts to want such a "big rig". I don't want a custom-buuilt Prevost or Newell - well, I would, but I'd rather be not be rig-rich and cash-poor! haha

If you have specific suggestions for items I should be asking about, please let me know. I'm pretty detailed in some things, but I might forget to ask about the type of plumbing fixtures they use or electrical set-ups, for example, if not prompted. They must have a check-sheet they use?? I don't just want a "pretty rig", I want a safe one!

I'd appreciate any suggestions from those of you who have experience with truck conversions. Thanks in advance for all your help.
PJCoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

WELCOME to iRV2!!

I would suggest that you contact Bill (warpath) directly,as he did extensive research when he bought his Show Hauler,even owned something else a little larger before buying his ShowHauler.

I know they're away for the weekend,but will probably return this evening....

If you can't find how to contact him or figure out how to send him a PM, just send me one...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

The "original" Warpath mobile.....not sure if you'd seen this one.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #4

Not sure where you are in Pa. But talk to Dave @ Sorces Trailer sales. www.sorcestrailersales.com
Tell him JT sent you. He was very helpful and knowleadgeable. PLus he has a trendsetter in stock listed for 172,900 which isn't bad compared to others I have seen for a fair amount more. We love ours, runs strong and for the $ I think its better than a class A. I am 6'2 and have no problem going from th cab to the living area. Any other questions just ask.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:27 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Sounds like from what your initial thoughts are your heading in the right direction by considering a truck conversion.

But heed this warning! You sound uncertain about what exactly you want. Since it sounds like you are looking for a more custom layout, you absolutely need to take a drive up to see Show Hauler, NRC & Trendsetter. These 3 seem to do more custom layout work than just a floor plans like Haulmark & Renegade. Although you may want to check them out also.

While at those factory's find out which one will best be able to take your ideas and apply them into your new motorhome.

Nothing you have mention so far cannot be done. As far as being a women should not even be a issue. If that dealer did not immediately respond go on to the next.

I have worked with Becks Marine & Concept Haulers which did a fine job for me. You may also check in with West Side Motor Coach who has been helpful in answering questions on the TC site and the one listed by Camping Dutchmen.

I also would head over to the Show Hauler site only because they have by far the most conversion photos and go through them all to determine color choices, layout and options.

Never heard of a slide out interfering with fueling.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #6

Thanks, Warpath:

Did receive a phone call from Gold Rush in PA today and had a nice chat. Also, an email from ShowHauler factory. Will take a road trip down to PA this weekend to attend a rally and check out Gold Rush. They are the closest, but I did see the websites/homepages for Becks and Concept. Since these are all custom units, it's hard to find stock on a lot somewhere to just poke over or test drive like you'd find in a normal motorhome dealership. I have looked over your photos of your conversion in progress.

Will also see if I can find where I saw that posting about the slideout interfering with fueling.

Thanks for all your help.

I also looked at the site sorcestrailersales.com since I had not heard of the Trendsetter brand. Now that I am in research mode, I am finding all kinds of options.
PJCoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #7

trendsetter=www.unitedspecialtiesinc.com
Old 10-29-2006, 01:23 AM   #8

There is a conversion outfit in PA. you might take a look at: http://www.transportdesigns.com
I am also in the planning/wishing stage and have found several smaller custom builders who do very nice work. They will make it anyway you want it as long as it won't compromise the truck's operation. Shop around and you'll find there is a rather wide range of prices for otherwise equal products.
Roy
LooseClu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #9

We just came home from the Dynamax factory where we ordered a 34 foot Dynaquest XL. They have reordered the product line to reflect the use of the Cat engine and the M-2 chassis. None of this is on the web site yet but we were very impressed with the facility. The quality is fabulous. This is our third MH and it is oh so easy to drive.
Leslie
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #10

Warpath---now that you have had both truck conversion and motorhome, which in your mind has the best ride quality?
ESTANG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

My first conversion with it's 336" wheel base, air ride at all 4 corners, 12,500 front end and loaded up w/ full fuel (300 gallons) rode really smooth. Add air ride seats and the driver and passenger definitely floated over the road. I had a little side to side roll, but was dead stable in big winds. That conversion also felt great in any road conditions, although I didn't feel to comfortable running that rig over 70 and it seemed to like 65 mph. And no maneuverability with that rig.

Second conversion had a 292" wheel base (if my memory serves me right) 14,600 front spring axle and that truck road rough. It was also very good in the wind and had almost no roll. I could easily run 75 mph, but it would beat the stink out of you. Good maneuverability.

My pusher also has air ride all the way around with a 14,600 lb front end. It is by far the smoothest riding out of the 3 but also has alot more body roll. Heavy cross winds move me around more than the other 2 but not terrible. Maneuverability is outstanding. But the biggest factor by far is the silence of motor noise. Now don't get me wrong I love the whistle of the turbo, and the rumble of the motor but after a full day of that it wears on you. I didn't think it did, but since I have put some miles on this rig I really notice the difference after a days run.

Bill
Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote