RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like Nexus has a new Super C 4x4...

....called the "Rebel". Has an International chassis but it looks like a GM variant and has the Duramax engine.

https://www.nexusrv.com/check-our-rv...orhomes--rebel

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #2

A 4x4 Super C is my deam coach :-)

Old 06-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #3

Interesting! Looks like the 243" wheelbase listed on the 30R is actually available from International/Chevy that way. Crazy to think of something that could be available WITHOUT a frame extension?? Anyway, the wheelbase/overall length ratio of that would be great, combined with the 50 degree cut angle. Too bad you can't get the air ride rear with the 4WD...

Anyway, I'm excited to see how this shakes out. Good for Nexus for testing this market.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #4

Nice. Looks like their answer to the Dynamax Isata 5. If this has air brakes that's a nice step up from the Isata 5s.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

Will. be interesting to see if they cut into the Thor Magnitude/Omni 4X4 sales. Thor has a couple floorpans available on the F550 4x4 chassis.
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

Did a little research.

The International CV which Nexus is using for the Rebel has no air brakes, they use the Hydromax system and there is no available rear air suspension on the 4x4.

I'll stick with my S2RV chassis.
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Rumline and EA37TS - it appears that you both prefer air brakes over hydraulic. If so, Iím curious as to why that is. The only advantage I can see to air is the ability to easily connect trailers or rail cars that also use air for braking. Air compresses so braking force is slightly slower when compared to hydraulic. Hydraulic is a much simpler system and the braking ability is great enough that aircraft and even the space shuttle use hydraulic. Am I missing something?
Old 06-29-2020, 10:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the info EA37TS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Am I missing something?
Yes. Aircraft have a completely different use case for brakes than land based vehicles and also already have extensive hydraulic systems onboard. It is not useful to compare air brakes to the hydraulic systems in aircraft since they are not the same as the hydraulic systems used in the vehicles being discussed on this forum. In land vehicles, only light- and some medium-duty vehicles have hydraulic brakes. All semis and most medium-duty trucks (dump, tow, delivery, etc) use air brakes. No, that sweet F350 is not a "heavy duty truck" no matter what badges they stick on it.

Air brakes are fault-tolerant and if they fail completely they fail closed (that is, brakes apply with loss of air) as opposed to hydraulic systems which "fail open" (a.k.a. you ded). It takes a modicum of knowledge to understand how to operate air brakes safely, but a 20-minute YouTube video and some parking lot practice should take care of that. If you care to know more, Google is your friend.

Yes one of the main advantages of air brakes is that you can easily provide braking power to trailers which may not be used in an RV setting. However I know that many folks with these Super Cs and diesel Class A's do use air brakes for their toads and/or big stacker trailers.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
Thanks for the info EA37TS.

Yes. Aircraft have a completely different use case for brakes than land based vehicles and also already have extensive hydraulic systems onboard. It is not useful to compare air brakes to the hydraulic systems in aircraft since they are not the same as the hydraulic systems used in the vehicles being discussed on this forum. In land vehicles, only light- and some medium-duty vehicles have hydraulic brakes. All semis and most medium-duty trucks (dump, tow, delivery, etc) use air brakes. No, that sweet F350 is not a "heavy duty truck" no matter what badges they stick on it.

Air brakes are fault-tolerant and if they fail completely they fail closed (that is, brakes apply with loss of air) as opposed to hydraulic systems which "fail open" (a.k.a. you ded). It takes a modicum of knowledge to understand how to operate air brakes safely, but a 20-minute YouTube video and some parking lot practice should take care of that. If you care to know more, Google is your friend.

Yes one of the main advantages of air brakes is that you can easily provide braking power to trailers which may not be used in an RV setting. However I know that many folks with these Super Cs and diesel Class A's do use air brakes for their toads and/or big stacker trailers.
I take advantage of my air brakes by using the M&G braking system on my toad. Thanks for the in depth info!