Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

Making your Entrance Door Lock More friendly!

Hello Guys - The lock on our entrance door can be pretty frustrating at times when attempting to find the door handle or setting the dead bolt when the interior is dark. The problem stems from having both the screen door slider and entire locking device all painted the same color jet black. Years ago, I found a workable fix that takes only 20-30 minutes which you’ll enjoy as long as you own your RV.

On our new Renegade Verona we had the same problem finding the door handle or confirming the deadbolt is engaged before going to bed. Since the Renegade the door handle is below knee level, I found its both hard to reach and difficult to see since the entire locking apparatus, screen door slide, handle and deadbolt are all painted black.

This problem can be remedied in just minutes by making a few changes screen door slider to allow better access to the lock assembly. Also, by painting the door handle and dead bolt, you’ll be able to lock and unlock the door without using the flash light on your phone.

The first change is making an easy modification to the screen door slider, allowing it to move back away from the lock providing better access especially when closing the door since the slide makes it difficult to get your hands on the closing lever.

To remedy the problem, use a side-cutter or Exacto knife to snip the two plastic stops. This will allow the slider to park in a position far from the lock allowing easy access to the lock assembly. As shown in the image below the slider now retracts to the opposite side of the lock so it does not interfere with the lock. As noted below even with a light on the stock lock its difficult to see the handle or the deadbolt position.

The next mod involves simply painting both the opening handle and dead bolt making them both more viewable. While you can use some colored tape, I chose to paint both devices. Begin by taping up the lock assembly leaving the handle and dead bolt exposed. Use a light colored paint such as like silver or white to make the two devices more easy to see when it’s dark. That’s it you’re done and I guarantee it will make your lock ten times easier to use, and enable you to confirm the dead bolt is on without reaching down to turn it!

Stay Safe - Mike

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #2

I thought it was just me fumbling with the door in the dark Nice fix! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
I thought it was just me fumbling with the door in the dark Nice fix! Thanks for sharing it.

LOL Thanks for the reply - No it happens to everyone Petrel it's just a bit difficult operating a lock which is below your knees in the dark!

Thanks Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great job!
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:46 AM   #5

Mike, another great mod. I'll be doing this one also.
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Mike,

Great idea. I've got the same coach. Will be making these changes on mine ASAP. Thanks, Bob K.
bkesslersr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door