Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #1

Need help estimating driveway access with 36-37 foot Super C

I'm trying to figure out if a M2-based 36-37 foot class Super C (such as a Renegade Verona 36VSB) can be turned into my driveway. I've posted a schematic.

I've convinced myself it can, but hoping to get input from actual owners of similar rigs.

I can easily fit much longer combinations of pickup/trailer, but it's obviously not the same thing. Any help from owners or engineers is appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf driveway.pdf (600.3 KB, 104 views)
Uncle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #2

Can you flair the entrance to the driveway by cutting off some of the grass or whatever that landscaping is?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Didn't download your attachment but I know it will fit if you back in.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #4

I’m guessing you SHOULD fit, but no guarantee.

Without photos, is there any grade levels that don’t show in your drawing? Meaning......is all the area drawn in your picture completely flat? Will the undercarriage be scraping anywhere? When you say berm, is that something you can drive on? When and if you get the RV to the resting position you’ve drawn, is that level? If the area is really tight, will constant steering back and forth ruin the grass? Can you get electricity to this spot? Would you want to?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #5

Those dotted areas in the diagram are areas I can drive over, either dirt/gravel flares or grassy areas. The only areas I cannot drive over are those beyond the hashed boundaries - those are woods or embankment. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2020, 12:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had similar dimension on the driveway at our old house and could pull in or back in with our DP. I did have to drive over the curb. We had a mailbox on one side that provided another challenge, along with a fairly steep driveway that caused the rear to drag sometimes if I didn't approach just right, mounted skid wheels on the rear to assist when this happened.

Our current driveway is flat and ~20' wide off a ~15' road so it is somewhat easier now. I made a large circular drive so it's easy to maneuver. Even the large delivery and cement trucks found it easy to navigate.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #7

I don’t know your distant to a Renegade dealer or existing owner but sure would be nice to try one out before signing the dotted line.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #8

So long as the road isn't too busy, that gravel on either side of the entrance is extremely firm, and there are no obstructions (like mailboxes) on the other side of the street, you should be able to back in.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #9

From your drawing it looks easy to get into your driveway. Of course, much easier with a spotter. Looks like you would pass the driveway and have to back the hard way. When I get into that position, many times in a campground, I take my time. If not sure I get out and check to make sure I don't hit anything. Since your drawing ends at the rear of the coach, don't know how you get off the drive.
I had a 38 foot Dynamax based on the M2 chassis and would have felt confident with this situation.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I don't consider any grassy area driveable but that's just me. If you come home or want to head out and it's been raining for a week straight is it still "driveable"?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I had similar dimension on the driveway at our old house and could pull in or back in with our DP. I did have to drive over the curb. We had a mailbox on one side that provided another challenge, along with a fairly steep driveway that caused the rear to drag sometimes if I didn't approach just right, mounted skid wheels on the rear to assist when this happened.

Our current driveway is flat and ~20' wide off a ~15' road so it is somewhat easier now. I made a large circular drive so it's easy to maneuver. Even the large delivery and cement trucks found it easy to navigate.

Thanks, Jim. There is some grade difference, but pretty sure that won't be the biggest challenge.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
I don’t know your distant to a Renegade dealer or existing owner but sure would be nice to try one out before signing the dotted line.

I agree 100% - exactly the kind of expensive mistake I'm hoping to avoid!
Old 02-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #13

Hey there! I have a Verona 36 VSB, and have a nearly identical situation. My road is not that busy, but here's my routine, using your drawing for reference:
I will approach from the left, turn on my hazards, when the rear wheels arrive at the driveway entrance, I pull hard to the left, across the oncoming lane with my LF wheel just off the pavement. Crank the wheel hard right, and back into the drive. I don't leave any of the pavement, either on the road or the driveway, by more than a foot or so. the part that takes practice is when to cut hard left without going too far, or not far enough. The rear swing would probably take out posts or anything next to the drive, but I dont' have any of those. I back in for two reasons, more maneuverable to get off the road, and I need to back 800 feet up my driveway, as there's no where to turn around at the house.
Dnoword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I don't consider any grassy area driveable but that's just me. If you come home or want to head out and it's been raining for a week straight is it still "driveable"?

That's a fair point - if I regularly find myself going off-pavement in certain areas, I may reinforce or extend pavement. Thanks for your reply.

Tags
need help