Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2022, 09:05 AM   #1

New Shocks...Wow!

I consider myself fairly diligent about periodic and preventive maintenance. Oil, filters, lube, tires, mechanical inspections, roof inspection, etc. It never occurred to me to check the shock absorbers!

My TC is an '05 chassis with 122,000 miles. It was starting to feel as though the rig was a little top heavy on rough secondary roads. New shocks really made a difference. Back to feeling like we're going down the road, even back roads, on rails again.

I guess the original shocks deteriorated gradually, so I just became accustomed to the new driving characteristics. I won't make that mistake again.

Most of you are probably smarter about shocks than me. However, if anyone omitted this maintenance item too, you may wish to add it to your list.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2022, 12:53 PM   #2

What shocks did you get? I replaced mine several years ago with Road King shocks. They were extremely expensive but all the truckers seemed to agree they are the best. And they are supposed to be rebuildable. Now I find out they have gone out of business. I wonder if a hydraulic jack repair place could rebuild them? I agree with you though. New shocks make a huge difference. And these big truck shocks seem to wear out rather quickly.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:30 AM   #3

I wanted Bilstein shocks. Unfortunately, they do not make one for my truck. Ended up with Gabriel SLX adjustable shocks. They have three firmness settings. I had them set to the middle setting.

The Gabriels get spotty-bad reviews on Amazon, but they are held in pretty high regard over on the trucking forums. I guess we'll see how they hold up.

Also on the trucking forums I learned that many owner operators regard shocks as an annual maintenance item. Granted, seldom does an RV cover the miles that an OTR rig will, but I just thought heavy duty semi-truck shocks would be a little more durable.

I see a shop or two on the internet advertising that they rebuild racing shocks. Maybe one of them could rebuild your Road Kings.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:22 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I maybe able to help you with rebuilding them RKs.

CUSTOM TRUCK, RV & SEMI SHOCKS by HD SHOCKS Race Proven. Highway Comfort.
SHOCKERRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks