Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Nexus vs Thor Super C

Greetings,
I'm currently in a Fleetwood Class A gas, but I'm trading for a Super C. I thought Nexus was the one, but I saw a Four Winds (Thor) on an F-550 chassis this past weekend and have been checking them out online.

I own an F-250 and am a fan of the Super Duty, so the 550 chassis is a plus. On the flip side, I've searched this site and there are a whole bunch of really dissatisfied Thor owners. None specifically the Super C, but the company is the company, regardless of platform.

My questions are for both: Any Nexus Super C owners who would like to give me their reviews and any Thor Super C owners who would do the same?

Thanks for your time.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydglydrydr View Post
Greetings,
... I've searched this site and there are a whole bunch of really dissatisfied Thor owners. None specifically the Super C, but the company is the company, regardless of platform...

Thanks for your time.
I would throw caution at the sentiment "the company is the company" and read with suspicion many of the rants about "Thor."

Thor Industries is just too big to pin like that. It is more than 18 major brands in every segment of the RV industry from the Premium Class A's of Tuscany and Entegra and premium towables like Airstream and DRV, to economy/entry offerings like the Axis, Livin'Lite, and Coleman (like the classic lantern).
https://www.thorindustries.com/get-t...the-companies/

There are many happy owners...just look for owners posting in the threads that are Titled "I love my....." in the Thor owner's Forum.

For the Super C's, Nexus is a rather small production operation, offers buyer modification requests, and factory direct purchase. The FourWinds/Chateau line (which includes the Super C's) is the best selling line of Class C's in North America and can only be purchased as ordered by and from their dealer network...options only, no mods.

Both are very nice RV's but the price point you can reach is going to be different due the sales volume.

The chassis is probably the biggest difference...despite similar weight numbers. The Ford is going to be easy and affordable to service. The Navistar is a commercial platform and is in a different truck segment from the Ford.

Finally, the FourWinds Super C's are a rather new offering and have been well received with awesome towing capability. In previous years most all Super C's were on Navistar, Freightliner, or GM Medium or Heavy Duty Trucks. The F550 brings a new variable, bringing these very capable RV's into the Gas Class A price point.

Best luck with your shopping
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. Your points are all good ones.

I think the Ford chassis, with the dealer network and serviceability issues you mentioned, is a big plus and I'm leaning more towards the Four Winds for those reasons. Hopefully I'll hear from some owners.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #4

Smile Thor Super C opinion

We purchased a 2015 mid of 2016- Thor Super C 35sf-for the very reasons mentioned- chasis, 550, full paint, towing......we have been in it full time since last October. We have traveled from NC thru to Fla, back up again, over to Ga, back down again...we have had good trips all the way with the rig at numerous type of RV and camping places. We do not have thousands of miles but we do have thousands of man hours in her. We had jack issues day one from the dealer lot- we parked her in the driveway and played with the systems and water and gen, etc for weeks so as to be familiar. They fixed the jack issue with new controller board and we swapped that out the same day- we never leave her for service (yet!) -
we had step motor die- fixed on the road no hassles- we had the hot water heater board get wet in torrential downpours in Savannah and it also was replaced on the road, no hassles. We have found loose screws, we have found styrofoam.....that has been the extent of our complaints. We travel with 4 retired show dogs and there is room for everyone. We love the dark wood.....we never hooked up our refrigerator ice maker as we just figured that would be an accident waiting to happen. We have two grey tanks and the black....no issues, just sensors as usual. We had the rig aligned (paid for by dealer) after 1000 miles. It drives in weather, wind and high truck traffic like a dream. We swapped out after3 months our bed mattress and the couch on the non slide side for recliners for better comfort. For the look, comfort and price point we are extremely satisfied. We have seen and been in hundreds of motorhomes over the years and nothing is any better but can be worse. The generator is great, the Ford truck center we took it for alignment also changed the oil. You cannot take them to car dealers. You learn tricks as you go that is for sure as far as loading and spaces to carry things but we do not over do it- she is a beast in all respects!! We would not trade her "up" for another unit or an A if you gave us money.....Thor peeps that complain all the time about bad things might have some real issues depending on model and plant manufactured at, but mostly I think it is expectations (they are NOT houses nor the same quality/materials) and they do not do their due diligence as far as components to make sure all is in working order. They also buy impulsively and have not done homework as far as the dealer services and dependability. If our unit was not functioning at the walk thru or dirty or there was no time spent with us going over EVERYTHING- (even things like the generator autostart or the converter and where Fuses and main controller boxes are) then yes, you will be a dissatisfied owner in the dark. Hope I have covered the basics as far as initial purchase thoughts....we will see how this next year goes as we are "out of warranty" by Thor in June. I think people sould USE, drive and test all their capacities BEFORE the warranty is up and then I feel that you will be very familiar and comfortable with identifying even a small squeak and get everything settled in before the expiration.........happy hunting!
willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #5

Although you specifically mention Nexus and Thor, I would urge you to also look at the Dynamax DX5 on a Ram 5500 chassis.

In our search for the right super C for *us*, we looked at all available. My major concern with any super C on a Ford Or Ram chassis is the OCCC. I find 1,000 lbs of "stuff" to be too little capacity for what we carry as we travel. The 1,000 lb number is an approximate number based on my previous research. Some higher some lower but around 1,000 lbs seems to be about the norm (unless on Sprinter chassis and then more like 800 lbs). Since most folks have no idea about being overloaded or bother to weigh their rigs, think about how little 1,000 lbs of stuff really is.

Yes the towing capacities are much higher than a regular class C, unless you put most of your "stuff" in the toad or trailer, you could be very overloaded.

I base my opinions on over 20 yeras of RVing, 500,000 miles and 6 previous RVs including 2 class C, 3 class A (diesel and gas) and now a super C on order for delivery in 3 weeks (YEA!)
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
My major concern with any super C on a Ford Or Ram chassis is the OCCC. I find 1,000 lbs of "stuff" to be too little capacity for what we carry as we travel. (YEA!)
Paul,
Exactly why we loved the numbers on the renegade.
I really don't think I could exceed the towing or OCCC ratings of the renegade.

I love having that extra cushion.
That said I know the OP didn't mention the renegade class, we had a kodiak chassis ( 5500 GM ) that worked for us. We were probably close to the towing limit with an old Jeep Cherokee and that was the concern as I'm sure we will replace it in the next few years.

YMMV
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #7

Willowrun: Thank you very much. Exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for.

Ziggy8321 and deputy bubba: I would love a Dynamax or a Haulmark. Unfortunately, the price point I'm dealing with will never get me into either. That legendary rich uncle just doesn't exist.

I'm getting closer to the Four Winds with each day. Still, I'd really like to hear from a Nexus owner or two.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IRV2 is SO big, you might try to PM other members about the Nexus...

Here's a thread with a few:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/nexus-ghost-330860.html

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydglydrydr View Post
Willowrun: Thank you very much. Exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for.

Ziggy8321 and deputy bubba: I would love a Dynamax or a Haulmark. Unfortunately, the price point I'm dealing with will never get me into either. That legendary rich uncle just doesn't exist.

I'm getting closer to the Four Winds with each day. Still, I'd really like to hear from a Nexus owner or two.
Before you pull the trigger on a Thor, do yourself a favor and look at the Dynamax Isata 5 it is competitively priced and also look at the new Renegade Valencia which is also competitively priced (totally new model from Renegade).

We all are looking for that rich uncle, but you'd be surprised how much more you have to choose from. You may still end up with the Thor, but wouldn't you hate going to bed each night in that Thor and wondering what the others were like and how priced?

Without too much haggling, you can get a discount of 20-28% on most any Super C, and then maybe the rich uncle won't have to kick it for you to get what you want.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #10

why buy nexus

Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0012.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	161561

serviceability is the key,during the warranty there both great,
after the warranty you will fine that most repair shops will charge more to work on a rv rather then a normal truck like the f550 ,step one when doing some engine repairs on a f550 require removal of the cab. this will not be possible on your rv so the cost of the labor will be a lot more. on the nexus any truck shop can work on it , and it is just like a big box truck as far as repairs . most truckers need to get back on the road fast so truck shops are use to quick repair times. i own a repair shop and have worked on lots of rvs some easier then others . i have owned two nexus supper c rvs a phantom and now my ghost in the picture ,
n2587n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting points above.

I submit that "any truck shop" is still fewer shops than the many, many Ford Truck service centers nationwide servicing everything from the thousands of F250's and bigger...
I personally experienced this as the long-time owner of an International Harvester light truck - that I replaced with a Ford Superduty. Comparing service at IH/Navistar dealers to Ford dealers was like night and day. The big commercial trucks always had priority/commercial accounts/big profits.
My little truck was never a priority

A complete cab removal for service has been an option for only the most extreme repairs in Ford's Super Duty trucks. With a pick-up, that only requires a pulling a few bolts and disconnecting a few wire sets.
BUT, not required...and surely not for routine care. Even a compete engine swap can still be done out the front like always.

For costs - once you get into the service bay...hourly rates and parts will most always be higher for those commercial trucks.

For purchase price...any Thor Motor Coach purchase (like FourWinds) SHOULD start at 25% off MSRP...with no local mark-up. That is a function of volume sales.
Look at the pricing at MHSRV as an example. (We are not affiliated). Year-end sales can then be as much as, or more than 30% off MSRP.

The RV's from Nexus, Dynamax, Toter, Renegade, Showhauler, Powerhouse etc. are beautiful and have awesome capabilities, but nothing is perfect...and for service, Ford has an easy advantage over the true commercial chassis offerings.

Not mentioned...if a smaller operation is desired - Host RV has used Ram Cab/Chassis:
http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/moto..._330_quad.html
And uses Ford's as well

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #12

Host has not produced that unit since 2008 and per my conversation with them a little over a year ago, they have no intention to produce them in the future.

Born Free offers many models on the F550 chassis. Home - Born Free Motorcoach

If you are willing to consider used, check racingjunk.com for used Renegade/Showhauler/Haulmark and other Super C's. We picked up our Renegade with under 10k miles and less then 6months old and still under warranty.
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #13

Again, thanks to all for sharing your thoughts.

I was not aware of the Isata. Nice rig, but my experience with the Ford Super Duty platform wins out over the Dodge.

As I previously mentioned, I've been looking at Nexus since I decided a Super C was in my future. I was looking at Nexus simply because the price point was the best out there for a Super C. I really never was a fan of the floor plans available but was willing to live with it in order to get into a Super C.

With the introduction of other choices from other manufacturers, personal preferences become more of a consideration. The Four Winds 35SF is the winner. The floor plan suits our preferences very well.

Again, thanks to each of you for your input.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on the decision.

And, can I say...I noticed these Super C's on the F550 cab/chassis have a 35,000lb GCWR
REALLY AMAZING for what looks like not much more than an average F-Series.

Once you complete the deal, please be sure to plan for a complete and thorough pre-delivery inspection.

Almost every complaint I have read about new purchase issues (from really all brands) was that the buyer did not catch an issue in the PDI. If found before the sale is complete, you have the sales staff pushing service to resolve. After delivery, it is just you and service negotiating warranty work.

Sadly, too many dealers play games on warranty work because it can be less profit over non-warranty service work.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
thor