Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

Noise reduction

I am still on my quest to bring the noise level in my Verona cab down as much as possible. My two lastest projects were to beef up and better seal the Freightliner door seals. Found a great neoprene 3M backed product on Amazon that matches OEM rubber perfectly. Ran the rubber on both sides of the door seal. Between better door seal and the Dynamat product inside the door panels and on the cab floor I have reduced the decimal level at 68MPH from 92 to 80!
I ran the same seal tape around the coach door seal and that really made a difference as well. I am utilizing a decimal reader app on my phone. Be safe, RAG
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's quite a change! Guess that's welcome?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 AM   #3

Hello, are you experienceing any whistle noise? Our dealer pointed out the recessed screws in the outside mirror brackets cause this. He recommended plastic inserts that are used for cabinet screw holes. Still need to try it. We have a 34' Verona.
Jimbob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 AM   #4

I capped those holes sometime ago, not sure it made much difference. Door panels have made the biggest difference.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragoodsp View Post
I capped those holes sometime ago, not sure it made much difference. Door panels have made the biggest difference.
Okay thanks
Jimbob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #6

RAG, that sounds like a pretty major improvement. Any chance you could post photos? Overall I'm happy with the noise level of my stock unit but I'd be lying if I said it could use some improvements. I'm not real mechanically inclined but i wouldn't mind cherry-picking some of the simpler fixes
islandbum561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragoodsp View Post
I am still on my quest to bring the noise level in my Verona cab down as much as possible. My two lastest projects were to beef up and better seal the Freightliner door seals. Found a great neoprene 3M backed product on Amazon that matches OEM rubber perfectly. Ran the rubber on both sides of the door seal. Between better door seal and the Dynamat product inside the door panels and on the cab floor I have reduced the decimal level at 68MPH from 92 to 80!
I ran the same seal tape around the coach door seal and that really made a difference as well. I am utilizing a decimal reader app on my phone. Be safe, RAG
Did you happen to check the difference after just the door seals or just the Dynamat? I was just wondering which made the biggest difference.

I do hear a whistling sound on ours, which sounds like it's coming from the top of the door right behind the windshield. I'll check the mirrors.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #8

I will try to post photos when I get a chance, poor rig is covered with nearly a foot of snow right. Heading south next weekend so must get it dig out. Not sure I can say exactly what reduction in decibels resulted with each step. I started at 91. I did the same approach with my E-450 and got about the same result 8-10 reduction. I am over $400 bucks into the effort so not a cheap project.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Care to share the specific name of the 3M product and where you purchased it, thanks
lzucconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #10

Izuconi: I got the weather stripping on Amazon , Cloudbuyer self adhesive auto rubber weatherstripping. Best of luck!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #11

I am mostly convinced on my Valencia that the mirrors are the problem as they direct half of the wind back to the doors. Also, I don't have door leakage. Has anyone tried noise canceling earphones? If so, do they make something that you could still carry on a conversation?
Brutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #12

Even if I had no reduction in cab noise (I have) just the way the doors now sound when you close them
makes my investment worth it! Very solid sound now. Check out the window seals they are very loose as well. The mirrors to stick out there but they are not your biggest issue.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #13

For those that have not removed their door panels to see the lack of insulation between the door and panel, I highly encourage you to do so. If road noise is your concern, that is a great place to start. Here is the previous thread where this was discussed, photos included. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f18/reneg...se-343281.html
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #14

Ragoodsp

just wondering did you install the Dynamat on the door or on the inside of the door interior panel?
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise