Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

Solar Panels 101

I have two 160 watt solar panels on my Verona LE.

I need a tutorial on how to use them.

I thought they were atomically connected to the 12v system to keep the batteries charged when no other charging source is available or to supplement the other sources.

Are is there an on and off switch that I have to turn on?

Today I took the coach to an RV dealer to get the final install of the Blue Ox and AF1 stuff. I switched on the inverter to run the refrigerator while it was there and when they were finished about three house later the generator starting battery was almost too loo to start it. I could not see where they were doing the work but I assume it was out in the cloudless Florida sun

What I am doing wrong?
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
I have two 160 watt solar panels on my Verona LE.

I need a tutorial on how to use them.

I thought they were atomically connected to the 12v system to keep the batteries charged when no other charging source is available or to supplement the other sources.

Are is there an on and off switch that I have to turn on?

Today I took the coach to an RV dealer to get the final install of the Blue Ox and AF1 stuff. I switched on the inverter to run the refrigerator while it was there and when they were finished about three house later the generator starting battery was almost too loo to start it. I could not see where they were doing the work but I assume it was out in the cloudless Florida sun

What I am doing wrong?
Would not automatically assume a problem with your panels. Don't know your battery bank size, but would think inverter should run the fridge [assume std residential type] for more than 3 hours. I would plug in and let inverter/charger bring batteries up to 100%, then unplug and put fridge on inverter and watch voltage for a day or so. If it drops to lower than say 12.2 volts in 12 hours or so, might have a battery, wiring or inverter problem.
Only situation I can see this happening if you have a ac/gas fridge and electric heat elements were wired into the inverter.
360 watts of panels will help recharge your batteries, but if batteries are depleted will take a bit of time to recharge them, especially if you have other loads on the batteries. Good info here: https://discoverbattery.com/EN/battery-101/
Old 10-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #3

so my inverter will drain the batteries down to about 12 volts in 12 hours or so.
Just running the fridge and the inverter. I have added an extra battery ( 4 now ) and have 4 100w panels. They help keep the batteries up.. and I have the inverter off right now with the rig in my driveway. I just checked my victron and the batteries are at 13.2v. I know the inverter draws alot of that away if I leave it on....

hope that helps... they drain alot quicker than I thought they would, but this is the first whole house inverter I have had.

Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Do you have a volt meter (installed or portable)? With no shore power and no generator running but in sun light you should see over 13 volts on your batteries, hopefully more like 14 volts. If you don't see this much then likely your panels aren't doing anything.
You should have a charge controller somewhere to regulate the charge going into the batteries from the panels. It should be connected to the batteries thru a fuse or circuit breaker. That would be one thing to check. There might also be a fuse or breaker on the solar input to the charge controller.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels