RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Super C Help/Information Requested

We currently have a TT and are ready to make a change. Do not want a Class A so exploring Class C and found the "Super C". That interests us but know nothing about the Super C.

Can we please get some input on the Super C......my google searches haven't given by the information I want in what is the difference between the Class C and the Super C so any information would be great. What is the difference? Pros and cons? We would be looking at used and and some (Renegade) would be out of our budget so probably the Seneca or Endura.

Thank y'all!
ilovetofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #2

I'm a super C fan and owner since 2013. Our first was a Dynamax Grand Sport with only 14,000 miles. Like new, garage kept and very well maintained. It was on a m2 chassis with 350HP and 850lb ft of torque. It was a great first coach and we learned many things over the 5 years of ownership. I do all my own maintenance and upgrades so I am not afraid of digging to the bones. The Dynamax was 38 ft and weighed about 34,000 wet. We towed a Jeep Wrangler without any issues. What I liked about the Dynamax:
1. Very nice woodwork, no press board, all drawers were dove tailed. The wood was cherry.
2. Most of the time it was very comfortable to drive except on rough roads. It had air ride in the rear and leaf springs in the front. It did not do well on rough roads. I think the chassis was light for the load. I upgraded shocks but they made very little improvement. We just made sure to keep our seat belts snug.
3. Looks, it was a head turner. We used to pull into a park and get a lot of attention.
Why we traded up:
1. We wanted a smoother ride. Our new to us class 8 is smooth and drives like its on rails. Cross winds have almost no effect.
3. We can camp with our whole family. Total of 7 plus 2 dogs and one bird. (Noah's Ark)
4. Hydronic heat, so much better than the standard units in the Dynamax.
5. Power 515 Hp, 1750 ft lbs of torque. A real engine brake not the exhaust brake we had on the first coach. This is a big deal if you drive in the mountains.
6. It has a 56,000 lb gvw plus 40,000 lb hitch.
7. We get 8.5 mpg vs. 7.5 with the Dynamax.
What I don't like:
1. Our current coach has a long turning radius, you always have to plan you escape route in advance.
The super C's are not for everyone but if you want something built to last, I would check them out. Another big plus is safety, your engine is in front. You can have it serviced at any truck service center.
Now my opinion on brands:
1. Renegade, Showhauler, Haulmark, Optima, NRC, Chariot and Silver Crown. Look for well cared for used ones, they are built on million mile chassis.
3. I am not a fan of any newer low cost versions. They are built just like standard C's.
Hope this helps,
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #3

Thank you bhammond! These "Super C" vehicles are totally foreign to me. We are looking at used, the Renegade, Haulmark, etc. are just a tad out of budget

I have been doing some exploring online at the used Seneca and Endura, those seem to be more in the budget, even diesel which I prefer (currently tow with a 7.3L diesel, love it!). One of my questions is the chassis; is the chassis on the Super C's "beefer" (for lack of better explanation) than the regular Class C so will hold up longer?
Old 10-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

Super C

I recently upgraded from a 2007 class C 30 foot gasser to a 2014 monster 45 foot super C Renegade Classic. It was bigger than I wanted, but I found such a good deal on a 6 year old barely used rig, I couldn't pass it up. As said above the class 8 truck chassis is amazing! I wont ever go back to anything lesser. I spent 6 months looking and waiting for the right one to come along. The new ones were just a bit out of my comfort zone of how much I wanted to spend. I travel mostly in the mountain west, so a real engine brake was a priority. My gasser was scary as hell going down hills. I was sold on Renegades due to the build quality compared to many other coaches. Go to a big RV show, or to a dealer and check them out for yourself. Start scanning nationwide Craig's list, or RV trader, find out which dealers sell the rig you are looking for, go to their web sites daily to see what may be new in their used inventory. Don't be afraid to travel nationally if you find the right one. In the current climate, good RVs go fast! Good Luck
Old 10-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetofly View Post
Thank you bhammond! These "Super C" vehicles are totally foreign to me. We are looking at used, the Renegade, Haulmark, etc. are just a tad out of budget

I have been doing some exploring online at the used Seneca and Endura, those seem to be more in the budget, even diesel which I prefer (currently tow with a 7.3L diesel, love it!). One of my questions is the chassis; is the chassis on the Super C's "beefer" (for lack of better explanation) than the regular Class C so will hold up longer?
The chassis on my Haulmark is the same as an over the road semi truck. These commonly run over 1 million miles. The newer Seneca is on a m2 chassis which is the same as business class delivery trucks. These are diesel with air brakes, air ride on the rear axle, leaf spring up front and normally exhaust brake on the engine. We had this chassis under our Dynamax and it was ok. It's not in the class 8 realm but is ok. I have attached a pic of our old rig on the m2 for your reference. Also, coaches like this can be had in the 50-100k range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140503_104123_048-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	304864  
Old 10-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #6

Bhammond.....love yours! Is the M2 chassis an upgrade chassis than what is used on the "regular" Class C's?
Old 10-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #7

There is a Renegade Owner's Forum here in the Owner's Corner Forums. Lots of good information there.

Facebook has a Super C and a Renegade group
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:07 PM   #8

Thank you! Renegade may be a tad our range :( but will check out the FB pages.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetofly View Post
Bhammond.....love yours! Is the M2 chassis an upgrade chassis than what is used on the "regular" Class C's?
C's use various sizes of pickup truck chassis and some have diesel engines. Super C's mostly use a commercial truck chassis with diesel engines. They generally use class 5 through the class 8 commercial chassis. There are some newer exceptions where they are rating some of the larger pickup versions as super C's. Hope this helps.