Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #1

Truck conversion motor home

We are looking into a truck conversion and would like some input...how do we find out a reasonable price for a used coach? Also which make and model should be be searching for? We want to travel cross country next year and think the conversion would be safer. We now have an 07 Winnebago Adventurer and love it, but cannot carry the motorcycle and tow the car. If anyone could help send us in the right direction it would be much appreciated. We are supposed to look at a Haulmark soon...thanks all...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #2

I am currently looking into Renegade, Showhauler and United Specialties myself. I have pretty much ruled out Haulmark. All three have different construction and makes it hard to make decisions. The nice thing is a person could spend a day or two touring all three factories in IND to be more informed.

Ed
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #3

First off: great plan to look at truck conversions! I had an Allegro class A gasser for 5 years. All that time I gazed longingly at truck conversions. I'm a firm believer in power, power, and more power. And brakes. I bought my t/c this spring and have over 6k miles on it so far. Love it! I don't have much advice about the different brands. I sure am happy with my United Specialties. Mine is an '03 and it had 53k miles on when I bought it. Boy is it put together well. Very very high quality. I've heard great things about www.hawkengineering.com too tho. They have a very nice looking one for sale right now on their site. The only thing I'd caution you on is the ride up front. These are trucks first and foremost. The cab rides like a truck, not a soft cushy livingroom. My wife liked the front seat ride better in our Allegro. I love the firm ride but it is firm, almost rough on some roads. Did I mention power? I pull an enclosed trailer with a track Vette, about 7k lbs total. There is absolutely know way to know that trailer is there without looking in the mirror, or backup camera. I always track my mileage with every fill and there is no difference whether pulling the trailer or not either. You simply cannot compare the power. The only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Did I mention power? The worst mileage I've gotten with mine is 8.1 and the best is 9.8. Almost all my fills are above 9. That low mileage fill was lots of around town driving when I first got it. I got my rig at www.wrightwaytrailers.com and they were great to deal with. Check them out.
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #4

I looked at the Chariot here: Buy Custom RVs and Recreational Vehicles For Sale and really liked it. That is a very nice looking truck if you want one with a small garage on the back. It was out of my price range. And I didn't want the garage since I pull the trailer.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #5

Simmons, you may want to take a look at the inventory at this link Eldorado Trailer Sales Or do a search for eldorado trailer sales. They have a pretty good inventory although their web site isnt the best.
I have been considering a Renegade or United Specialty but have to sell my motorhome first or find someone who will take it on trade at a reasonable price. Good luck
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your help....does anyone know where you can find the resale value on these trucks/motorhomes? They are somewhat more expensive in our area of Daytona Beach, Fl. and wonder if they might be less somewhere else. They also seem kind of hard to find. We would like to find a dealer who will make a trade for our 2007 Winnebago Adventurer. We have located some used around the state, but wonder if the price is in the ball park....seem kind of high....thanks Judi
Old 10-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #7

simmons,

You find one of these truck dealers who will give you a good trade in price for your motor home let me know I have not found any dealer for any brand conversion who is interested in taking a motorhome tade in.

I still do not know what is a good price on used but would suggest taking a close look at Eldorado's inventory, (since they have more used than anyone I can find) and call Abby for some pricing in information so you can compare. They ahve a 07 Renegade garage unit that is very clean with low miles on. I have looked at it myself.

Good luck,
Ed
Old 10-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #8

Most dealers that deal with truck conversions don't deal with conventional motorhomes. That's why most are not going to take a class A on trade. They only want truck conversions. It's kind of a different target market.

Now, prices. Wow, with the economy in the shambles it's in there is no way to come up with a blanket value. Also, most truck conversions are done to order, not like regular motorhomes that a manufacturer will do a complete run of identical units. There are so many different combinations of truck platforms/engines/transmissions to start off with. Then the living quarters are all done differently, even by the same builder. Hard to compare apples to oranges. What I did was start looking at the least expensive t/c's I could find. And see if I could find one acceptable to my requirements. As I ruled units out going up the prices until I found what would satisfy my needs. Now, this is the golden time for a buyer. It's sad to say but dealers are just not moving units in any type of coach. Use their asking price as a very very rough guide. Find some units to go look at, test drive, etc.... If you find something that fits your needs make the dealer an offer WAY less than what they told you they want. If they are rude to you walk away. If they are polite they most likely are keeping their options open to deal with you. Be polite and you'll be amazed what you might be able to get the price down to. I've been to Eldorado and met Abbie, she's very nice and they have a wonderful inventory. I bought my rig at www.wrightwaytrailers.com . I had a great experience there and would tell anybody to check there first and see if they've got something to fit your needs. (see above strategy for pricing of coarse). There are also places like www.racingjunk.com , RVs. Used RVs for sale. Recreational Vehicles, Motorhomes, Buses, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Trailers, other Used RVs for sale with RV Classifieds. ,
etc.... There's a forum devoted to truck conversions, www.truckconversion.net . Even ebay has the occasional t/c for auction. I think I'd not want to buy one there tho. I found some nice trucks at www.busesandmore.com too. Good luck. This is very exciting.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #9

Here's another builder that's in my neck of the woods:
Cobra Motorhomes

I keep saying I need to stop in one of these days, but I don't any more about them.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #10

How goes the search, Simmons? Now is the time to buy.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #11

simmons here....we are still looking for a conversion. Everyone was right that they do not really want to make a trade on a Class A. We really have not found anything as yet, but we are still looking. We have sort of leaned toward the Renegade. We also have thoughts because you do not see many in the campgrounds or for sale. We are kind of wondering if this is what we should be doing. Our class A is spotless and beautiful, but wanted a more stable vehicle for traveling in the mountains and highways. We have driven the Renegade and they drive and handle very nice. The side walls are also another plus as they seem to be very sturdy. The truck conversions however cannot come close to the options in a class A unless you go over $200,000.
Thanks everyone....will keep you posted. Thanks for the idea about the repo option....I had not even thought about that and will see if I can find any info on that.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #12

Yes, there are advantages and disadvantages to a t/c over a traditional class A, B, or C. I suppose you'll just have to decide if the advantages of the t/c are what you prefer. As for not seeing too many in the campgrounds, I'd guess that's because most the t/c people bought it to pull a big trailer to the race track. Go to the race track some weekend, you'll see lots of them there. And the guys pulling a trailer with a A/B/C wish they had a t/c. I think if more people knew more about t/c's they'd buy them over a A/B/C. I wonder if you'd find anybody that had a t/c and didn't like it and went back to a A/B/C? That would be something to find out why they did that. All the people I've talked to with t/c's tell me they're very happy and wouldn't go back. Just because they're great for pulling doesn't mean they're no good for just plain old camping. The biggest drawback I think as a simple camper is you don't have as much living space in the same footprint. My rig is 36' overall. But, the living quarters are only 26'. The front 10' are the truck. And, the cab is a bit more seperated from the living room than a class A. It makes it a little harder to be part of the conversation with people on the sofa while driving than my Allegro was. Another big advantage to a t/c is the safety. I don't know if there is any safety testing to prove it but I sure think it's a lot safer to drive than a flat nose rig with only the front wall to protect you from front impacts. Just consider how rare it is for a semi truck to get into an accident where the driver of the truck was injured. The other big advantage to a t/c is maintanance. Just ask a mechanic if he/she would prefer to work on a t/c or a pusher. I bet you can't find a mechanic that likes the pusher. Except that they might make more money working on them since they charge more to do the work. Keep shopping around and good luck. Now is still a good time to buy any r/v but don't wait too long. This economy is going to be fixed soon by our government, hahahahahaah.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #13

i have a 2001 S&S built fl112 conversion. 26' long box, 37' overall, 8' ceiling, 10k onan quiet diesel generator, no slides. 430 hp, 1,680 ft. lbs. tq., 10 speed auto stick. we love it. has 70,000 miles on it now. we used to drag race & towed our trailer with it. sold the racing operation 6 years ago & still love the S&S hauler. we camp in it at least 4 weeks a year. i would definetely buy another S&S built conversion, only longer.

knucklehead_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #14

Quick thread hi-jack here, sorry. Hay Knucklehead, it looks like your t/c was built with the same kind of clearance lights mine was. I found out those lights in the rubber grommet leak water into your walls. Check out my thread over at www.truckconversion.net for how I changed mine: Did some work on my truck yesterday - Topic Powered by Social Strata

Okay, sorry for the interuption. Back to the truck conversions. Simmons, any closer to finding a t/c? Summer is upon us up here in MN. Planning my first road trip of the year mid April. Still looking forward to the Rallye in Hutchinson, KS, Oct. 2010.