Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Truck Motor Homes

Here are some beauty's.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #2

MY BABY

GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Love to be able to afford one of those monsters....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You sure can do some serious traveling with your rig Gene, its a beauty.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";664794]You sure can do some serious traveling [B][URL="http://outahere.viviti.com/our-rig
with your rig[/URL][/B] Gene, its a beauty.

Thankyou, we Love it
Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #6

Here's mine with MrsBob86ZZ4:

TXiceman, you'd be very surprised how much camper you can get on a t/c for your dollar.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Details, Details

Could you owners please post some vehicle spec's, wheelbase, engine, trans, clutch or auto-shift, differential, fuel capacity. And when you have time some pics of inside the cab, storage and inside rv. Would really appreciate it. Bobby
OleGrouch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #8

My truck is an '03 FL112, 295" wheelbase, single screw, front axle is 12K lbs rated, rear axle is 22,700 lbs rated, rear axle ratio I think is 3.55/1. Engine is Caterpillar C12, tuned to 430 h/p, 1650 torque. Trans is Eaton 10 speed with autoshift. This means there is a clutch used to get the veh. rolling or when coming to a stop. Once rolling the driver leaves the clutch pedal alone and the computer does all the shifting/clutching. It works pretty well. I have twin 60 gallon fuel tanks. 200 gallon fresh water, 75 gallon gray, 25 gallon black. Weight with empty water tanks is 11k on front axle and 15k on rear. My fresh water tanks are mounted behind the rear axle line so I suspect if full that might lighten the front axle a bit. I'm still not worried about being within 1k of front axle max. Since buying my rig 14 months ago I've put almost 12k mile on it. I'm very meticulous about record keeping. I always write everything down and do the math at fuel stops. About half my miles are pulling a enclosed car hauler, about 8k lbs I'm guessing. There is absolutely no way to tell that trailer is there by the way the truck drives, only looking in the mirror. I set my cruise at 68 most all the time. Worst mileage I've gotten is 8.1 mpg. Best is 10.9. Most all tanks are above 9 mpg. I go 6-700 miles between fueling. I run the generator on and off so don't know how much that throws off my actual engine mpg readings. You can see some interior shots of mine at www.bobwinsor.com. I'm very happy with my t/c. It rides rather firm in the cab tho. The house is smooth riding and not affected by winds.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #9

Bobby, go to my link, i have a few good photos posted, if you would like more, let me know. My engine is a 515HP turbo charged Detroit Diesel. Ten speed fuller Eaton auto transmission, with paddle on the column. We carry 160 gallons of fuel, and 275 gallons of fresh water, GVWR is 55,000 lbs. I have had travel trailers before, i have never had a class A but i will tell you this truck rides likes a dream, power to spare, solid and unmovable on the road. Inside the cab you get more engine noise than an A, There is also less storage than an A, no real full basement due to drive shaft, but the benefits IMO far outweight these few things. G
Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Bob and G. I was so afraid of the brakes on the Fleetwood (Bounder) I just was not interested in driving it so its gone. I could have taken it to Oregon to the brake shop and spent lots of dollars to have them done correct but I would have had to do the same to so many things to have a vehicle that would keep rolling or I could find someone on on the road to repair it, it was just not worth it. I want brakes that work, and engine with torque that will move when I want it to move. I guess I am an aggressive driver, with probably a million accident free miles.
So many class A's are over weight already on the front axle you can't load on anything else.
A question, G. if that DD isn't a 15 litre, would either of you want a larger engine, like maybe a C-15 or some other 15-17 litre eng. for the torque ?
Also, G. the paddle on the column, is that just the elec. shift buttons ?
One more, I have driven automatic trans. for so long (over 50 years) and use my left foot for braking, is the brake pedal positioned to allow left foot braking ?
Thanks for the replies. Bobby
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #11

Bobby,

I tell you what, I had a new class A dp and now I have a big rig.....I do not think I will ever go back to a class A for so many reasons. The only think I hear rattling going down the road is the siverware....and I must do something about that.
Ed
Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
G. is this ags smart-shift paddle anything like the one on your truck ?
Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ags-smartshift-control.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	4640  
Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #13

Thats the one, as far as power and torque, the DD has plenty to spare, G
Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #14

Gene, so does your trans have a clutch pedal? I thought the ones with that control on the steering column were 12 speeds with no clutch pedal?