Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Truck Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #1

Winegard Roadtrip Mission satellite dome

I have a 2017 Verona with the manufacture installed Winegard Roadtrip Mission RTT-40B in motion satellite dome. I currently have a direct tv receiver installed but am wanting to change to dish pay as you go for RV. I have been researching the Wally receiver with the portable hard drive so shows can be recorded. Does anyone utilize the Wally and can the Wally be used with this dome? I know I’ll have to change the dip switches on the dome but am looking for feedback from anyone who is utilizing dish pay as you go and the Wally receivers or if anyone has a better receiver that is compatible with this satellite dome. Thanks in advance!
sackum51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

I am currently using a Dish Wally receiver with a Winegard RTS-40B which I understand is the stationary version of the RTT-40B you are talking about. I have been using this receiver with a portable hard drive for trips for over a year now and have been happy with its performance. I use Dish for my home service so it was an easy add-on for me - just have to re-authorize it on occasion but that is done in minutes via an iPad app from Dish. The Wally actually seems to be more responsive than my home units and has held up to travel quite well. Only issue I had was with wiring runs in my RV but that was not attributed to the Winegard unit nor the Wally. I'm pretty satisfied overall.
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

I too have two Wally's in my Verona. Only downside is sometimes you cannot watch two different channels simultaneously in the bedroom and cabin area. Satisfied overall.
cment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #4

I've been working with Dish (and Winegard and Renegade) for over a month trying to get the Wally in my living room to work. I only get a subset of the channels I'm subscribed to in the LR, although the other TV is fine. So I will say I'm not impressed with the technical skills of their customer support. I have a Winegard RTT-20B up top. You'll be fine as long as you don't need any support.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

Thank you for the feedback. And, I can relate to customer service, specifically with Direct TV. But, I do hear that CS with Dish is a whole lot better than DTV. heppme I hope you can get it resolved.
sackum51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Winegard Roadtrip Mission satellite dome

heppme

If that’s a single lnb Dish the “second “ tuner ( the one in the living room? ) can only tune the Chanel’s that are on the sat that the bedroom? Tuner is on. The bedroom would control the pointing of the dish and seem to see all Chanel’s . The second tuner can only see the subset.
Just a thought as to why your FR tv might not be behaving as you want.
To test , tune the bedroom to the Chanel you want on the front tv .. can you now tune it ?
Maybe not but that’s the first thing I thought of.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The mission can only access one satellite at a time. Satellite selection is controlled by the tuner connected to the main or primary port on the antenna. The tuner connected to the secondary port will not control satellite selection and will only access channels that are available from the satellite selected by the primary tuner. It sounds like your bedroom tuner is connected to the main port. If you want the other tuner to control satellite selection you can swap the coax connections at the antenna.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #8

My understanding is the channels are served by 2 satellites. The Wingard can only tune to one satellite and that is determined which Wally was setup to be the "main" tuner.

If cahnnels 2, 6, 8 are served on Satellite #1 and channels 11,21,43 are served on Satellite #2, you could watch channel 6 in the living room and channel 8 in the bedroom because they are served from the same satellite, but would not be able to tune to Channels 11,21,or 43 in the bedroom as long has the living room TV is on channel 6 because the dish is pointing to Satellite#1.

In order to watch channel 43 in the bedroom, you would have change the living room Wally to a channel that is also served by satellite#2 like channel 11.

There is a list out on the web which tells you what channels are served by each satellite.

Hope this helps.

Btw- direct TV does not have this problem because they only serve SD channels from a single sattelite, but they are slowly fadding out all SD and will only be serving HD in the future. I switched from DTV to Dish and as much as the tuner can be a PIA with the wife wanting to watch her shows in the bedroom and my wanting to watch sports in the living room or outside, I am happy with the service.
cment is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite