Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #15

Neat project. If you start getting close on weight, you can shave a few hundred lbs using LiFe batteries instead of lead based ones.

Also, decent quality plywood is often lighter and stronger than OSB.

Of course none of those options help with cost.
harryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #16

Thanks for the input, well you gave me something to think about and read upon! about the LiFi batteries and what I found out wasn't much other then rc's and smart phone tech. Didn't come across (limited research time)much on the larger storage banks.
The OSB I used on the rear wall was rems. from the sub floor but under metal siding with barrier it'll work great.
project took side chair to late summer playing.
I believe I'll be ok with weight but, just because I have a set of AirLift bags on the shelf I plan on installing before hitting the road next summer.
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:24 AM   #17

Have a few new pics
Old 06-27-2017, 02:01 AM   #18

Back at it

Since I've ben away/other things here a couples up dates: underneath and to the right is Battery Bank shelf. Took advantage of Windshield replacement special. (blue tape)

Ended up with man door entry off lift up deck (coming soon) hardware hinges in place. A little bit of Val. caulking
Yes that is a long first step.
Walls insulated with 1" ridged / 11/16 dead space with foiled bubble insulation inside wall panels (pictures tomorrow)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CommericalTruck Entry and BBank storeage.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	166557   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearDeckArea (2).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	166558  

Old 06-28-2017, 02:14 AM   #19

Gray Holding Tank Install

Well today I set out to fab and install a 32 gallon abs gray water holding (24x63x7). The inside support rails were 3” bar stock mounted off center by 3/8 Ready Rod run through ¾ brass tubing used as standoffs. On the out board mounting rail I used .125 Aluminum J railing (modified) mounted with 1/4x20 thread inserts. In the end I’ll use stove head bolt not the hex heads you see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GrayWaterTank_HangerInstall (8).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	166686   Click image for larger version

Name:	GrayWaterTank_HangerInstall (9).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	166687  

Name:	GrayWaterTank_HangerInstall (1).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	166688   Click image for larger version

Name:	GrayWaterTank_HangerInstall (3).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	166689  

Old 06-28-2017, 02:40 AM   #20

Here's a couple more The tank is for two sink Kitchen and water closet and shower
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GrayWaterTank_HangerInstall (6).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	166691  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:57 AM   #21

Lots of room for plumbing. There will be a couple stops to limit upward movement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GrayWaterTank_HangerInstall (4).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	166692  
Old 06-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #22

Are you planning any cold weather camping? Now would be a great time to wrap the tanks.

Love the project

Dtw
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #23

Dtw, yes I have given some thought on the matter. One idea I had was doing something like a cradle wrap blanket on the under side by taping into the hangers which I can take on and off when needed.
Also there will be a mud flap/ deflector in front of tank to help slow down those slow motion bouncing golf ball size rocks.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:53 AM   #24

Vents

Well thing have been a little quit or slow but I have manage to install my Fan-tastic vent and was planning on installing their ultra-breeze vent cover but ran into a sizing issue( yes I was outside their "fits most 14x14 roof vent" when you look at the outside picture you will see the sides where the vent lide seals my OEM model has a step out in it where models or newer models don't. I'm calling CS in the morning after I do a few arsons. Tried having the clips longer not sure what I was thinking must of been the heat.

My other task was to install a DirectVent for my instant on propane hot water heater in water closet using the factory wall thimble for 2x4 walls and then mounting a metal (steel) vent over the thimble. Where my clamps are hanging is the framing for a Pocket door for water closet.
The mess you see passed the water heater is my insulation attempt on the over cab storage area using spray on adhesive. It got hot and just dropped off. Going back to the paint on commerical type I know it'll up until I get it covered with a liner.
The wall insulation is taped in place same as the ceiling insulation will be. Which is next along with the wiring.
Along with this I need to get the trailer loaded up for some short trips
Talk to you soon. Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RoofVent Fan.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	168542   Click image for larger version

Name:	RoofVent Fan-2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	168543  

Name:	InstantOn-Hotwater_DirectVent-1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	168544   Click image for larger version

Name:	InstantOn_Waterheater.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	168545  

Name:	InstantOn-Hotwater_DirectVent.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	168546  
Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #25

Ok mystery solved on roof vent. It's a European model and will not except Ultra Breeze vent cover. The exterior is larger but works in a 14x14 opening.
Is that why it's called a Caravan
Old 07-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #26

Roofing Insulation

Hi just a little update on my motor home conversion project. Just completed foil taping and adding .75 lath on the roof trusses (bows) for the ceiling material install. I went with the 2 inch R Max ridged insulation again for the 13.1 R value with the walls using a combination of 1 inch /.75 air space with Reflectix reflective insulation on the inside of the paneling equaling 9 R. I the cab storage area I had some surplus 1/2" R Tech insulation that I doubled up and will finish off with some UrtraTouch denim insulation matting(planning to)
I also rough in my 12 volt main feeder lines. Went with 12/3 extension cord that I had no use for ..Well that not true. I’ll be feeding off these for lighting and charging (USB and cig lighter plug) needs and separate circuits for the water pump and one for the vent fan with cab over storage area lights that will be coming up through the chassis. Still haven’t decided on how I will vent hot moist air from shower other than relying on Fantasic vent fan to draw it out. Just don’t want to burn my bridges when I seal it up
I going to use Hakwood 5/16 x 3 11/16 x 8’ knotty pine beaded planking from HD. I decided to have it delivered to the store to insure no freight shipping damage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MH_Roof Insulation-13 (2).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	170745   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH_Roof Insulation-13 (3).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	170746  

Name:	MH_Roof Insulation-13 (1).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	170747   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH_Roof Insulation-13 (4).jpg
Views:	313
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	170748  

Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #27

Bead Board Ceiling
Just wanted to do a quick shout out that I got the ceiling material in a couple days ago. (Knotty Pine Bead board) I got started this afternoon putting the starter row and a few more. Thought I'd share a peek
Using brads, criss cross for better hold but some of you have worked with kiln dried materials that being said the tongue is fragile if wood could be. Found if I move a little bit up on the bead next to the tongue works a lot better.
The manufacture put in some relief grooves on the back side I'm sure to try and keep it flat.
The plan is still just put a coat of statin Polyurethane..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MH_Beadboard-Ceiling.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	171999  
Old 08-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #28

KP Bead Board planks

Hi moving forward just wanted to share my interior ceiling done in tongue and grove Knotty pine planking. Took some time to catch up on some property chores but still trying to move forward on conversion. It's not coated in vthane yet but Saturday looks like a good day for that and hopefully I'll have the second coat on before noon.
Sorry for the clarity but after I coat it I'll take another.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Knotty-Pine-Beadboard-Ceiling.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	173363  

Tags
ford