Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #15

i had a 97 fl60 with a 5.9 and allison and elec over hyd brakes NOT air brakes,i did not want air brakes and looked for 2 yrs to find just the truck i wanted,i pulled an 18k toyhauler,it had air ride seats but not suspension,which i would have liked as the ride was a little choppy,but did have a 4 bag air hitch.couple things.1 it would turn around in a normal street without hitting curbs,and it had an air compressor.i tapped into the reservoir and had 125 psi of air for whatever.plus the added height advantage you can see idiots up ahead of ya melting down way before you can in a pickup.also with the on board air a nice set of train horns is an added bonus.it was also more stable in crosswinds.
catmandoo62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #16

My wife and I have a diesel pusher but came from the 5th wheel group. We love the ride and ease of the Entegra but I壇 love to have a custom made rv and I wonder if a New Horizon might be in our future. Although I知 an old truck driver and would love a hdt I know the wife wouldn稚 go with having a HDT as a daily driver. The MDT she is open minded to.

What advice can someone offer for the MDT. I知 very hands on and do all my own mechanics. Even in retirement I値l keep my 40x60 climate controlled garage (man cave).
Old 09-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
My wife and I have a diesel pusher but came from the 5th wheel group. We love the ride and ease of the Entegra but I壇 love to have a custom made rv and I wonder if a New Horizon might be in our future. Although I知 an old truck driver and would love a hdt I know the wife wouldn稚 go with having a HDT as a daily driver. The MDT she is open minded to.

What advice can someone offer for the MDT. I知 very hands on and do all my own mechanics. Even in retirement I値l keep my 40x60 climate controlled garage (man cave).
See if you can find a used one around your area that you and your wife can test drive. About 2 months ago I drove a 2008 freightliner M2-106 with a 300hp cat and a Allison 6 speed. It had air ride rear, air ride cab and air ride front seats. We where in the city on the test ride and had no issues with tight corners, I think it turns better then my crew cab 3500( Def road smoother). I am not sure I would buy new but a lightly used truck with a L9 Cummings 350 hp and automatic would pull hills with a 350/3500 new truck for sure. As a daily driver drive up windows and parking would be a small issue but if your like me I can make the extra 100 yard walk to the front door of the supermarket. Do you need a crew cab or could you make due with 2 Dr and a small sleeper? Crew cabs used are big money but the 2dr trucks seams about 25% cheaper.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know too late to help OP decide but I'll add my info/observations. I have a MDT conversion Motorhome (U-RV) Built on a 1994 F700 chassis. Ford says it a Class 7 truck.
32K GVWR. (10K front, 22.7K rear) as you can see it uses same axles as many Class 8 trucks. It has air brakes. (LOVE EM') THE U-RV weighs about 16K and I tow a Jeep on trailer 6K combo. Mine has a 12V 5.9L Cummins. I did convert the rear suspension to full Air Ride. Yes it is not as fast as the F350/F450s going up hills moving the same weight. I'm not in a race. It does average right at 9MPG moving a total of 22K. This F700 uses the same radiator/intercooler combo as a 8.3L Ford, So cooling is never an issue. The extra weight and 22.5 Wheels means that if these is 2 inches or storm water on the road it is of no concern, you just slow down a bit instead of waiting along side the road with the cars.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow

« Sewer Drain Hose | - »