Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

MDT As Tow Vehicle

I am considering a Luxe Toy Hauler for full timing and trying to decide on best tow vehicle. I have looked at various M2 hauler conversions. My concern with that route is vs the 2020 Ford (F350/F450), the M2 has 100hp less, and similar torque, but about 5K lbs heavier. How well will the M2 actually do towing a 24K lb trailer vs a 1 ton dually. I know a MDT will absolutely outlive a 1 ton dually, but have heard they don't actually tow as well. I have also looked into an M2 112, which would give me about the same HP as the new 2020 Ford, but much more torque, and much more weight.
imsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #2

The M2 will have an Allison transmission with the gearing to out pull any dually. It won't be as fast off the line, but the torque and gearing will out perform the dually. Plus if the M2 is all air ride, the ride and extra height of the cab gives a better ride and view.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #3

If you are considering buying an emergency road service, be advised the MDT will require a separate policy in addition to one for the 5er (CL 6,7, and 8 trucks)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #4

I know this thread is a few months old, but I have the same question as the OP. Will a M2 106 get me up a mountain pass any faster than a F350/450 dually or would a M2 112 be needed?

I have a 20,000 lb fiver and a 2019 F350 dually that I took on a trip to Colorado in September and I was down to 35mph at WOT going up some of the mountain passes. Between the engine RPM’s and cooling fan noise, it sounded like it was going to blow!

I’m considering upgrading to the 2020/21 F450, but also looking at MDT’s. I certainly understand the MDT’s are much beefier and can easily handle the weight and have better braking capabilities, but with most M2 106’s at 350 hp and ~1,000 torque, will it give me anything extra going up the grades compared to the F450?

I seems to me, a M2 112 would be the best choice, since it has similar HP to the F450, but a lot more torque. I’m open to ideas.

Thanks
adwtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:26 PM   #5

If you haven't seen these, TFL Truck did a series of videos on using an M2 as a tow vehicle.

- 2020 Freightliner Luxury Hauler vs GMC Dually vs World's Toughest Towing Test | Ike Gauntlet
- Move Over, Dually - This Freightliner M2 Big Rig Will Do EVERYTHING And So Much More!
Old 12-31-2020, 06:40 PM   #6

I understand the idea and desire of MDT. There are lots of people that like them and they do work.

If you are in the research phase you might seriously look at HDT also. There are a lot of major pros to HDT over MDT and only a few cons.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:43 AM   #7

@Rumline - thanks for the videos, I had not seen them before and they were helpful. While there wasn’t much of a speed increase going up the grade, everything else about the ride was much improved!

@Nwcid - I hear you on the HDT. The two things that give me pause on considering them is WAF (wife acceptance factor). She just thinks they are too big!! The second one is they do seem too big to use as a daily driver once you get to your destination. Sightseeing, shopping etc. In that case you may need a second vehicle. An MDT may not be any better in this regard, but they do seem a bit smaller and could be usable in this manner.

Thanks,
Alan
adwtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwtex View Post
@Nwcid - I hear you on the HDT. The two things that give me pause on considering them is WAF (wife acceptance factor). She just thinks they are too big!! The second one is they do seem too big to use as a daily driver once you get to your destination. Sightseeing, shopping etc. In that case you may need a second vehicle. An MDT may not be any better in this regard, but they do seem a bit smaller and could be usable in this manner.

Thanks,
Alan
I fully understand all of those. Again my suggestion was for actual research on the topic. Outside of the WAF, just went though that, I think you will find HDT not that big of a difference.

Of course it depends on what you buy. If you buy a high roof, long wheel base truck it will be a huge difference. If you buy a mid-roof with a short wheel base it will not be much different in the challenges you face with driving/parking at destination. There are several online threads from people that have had both and while there are some that preferred MDT, most had very specific needs.

You did say full time, so that might mean going the Smart car route, or even having the wife follow in a separate car. It will all depend on how you plan to full time.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:13 AM   #9

Yeah, these won’t climb better than a 1-ton, they’ll just do it more reliably. Climbing those passes is almost purely a hp/lb ratio, and higher is better.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #10

Back in 2014 we went from a 2006 Dodge Dually with 610rear wheel HP (Dyno'd- a bunch of aftermarket parts and pieces) and 1000ftlbs torque to our old 1998 Volvo 610 with a M-11Cummins that is set at 400hp and 1450tq. Pulling the same 5th wheel (we're fulltime) over the same Mountain passes, the Volvo with a less HP but more Tq won hands down. More speed up the mountains, more control down the other side, etc.
With more gearing in the Volvo, I pulled I-70 westbound at 55 all the way up from Denver to the top of the tunnels pulling our old Carrilite that weighed 18500.
With the old Dodge, I won't say it struggled, but it kept hunting for the right gear, and once I lost the momentum it couldn't regain it.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #11

There are so many advantages with a MDT over a HDT.. and there are downsides to both.. we put 50K miles on ours in 5 years .. 2 15 state runs before we decided to change directions. We used it as our daily when we were on the road. I think the only downside we ran into with ours was in the US, where the labour hour is incredibly high, there is a min 3 hour charge and terrible mechanics.

Comparing an industrial MDT to a pick up is like comparing grapefruits with spark plugs..

It is incredibly fun and you cannot be anonymous..

Options are very important. My rig was as quiet and as smooth as a HDT because how it was cared for and what options were on it. All trucks are not created equal. Quite frankly, I would not look at a unit after 2007...due to emissions..

good luck.. wish I still had mine..
Old 06-12-2021, 04:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwtex View Post
I know this thread is a few months old, but I have the same question as the OP. Will a M2 106 get me up a mountain pass any faster than a F350/450 dually or would a M2 112 be needed?

I have a 20,000 lb fiver and a 2019 F350 dually that I took on a trip to Colorado in September and I was down to 35mph at WOT going up some of the mountain passes. Between the engine RPM’s and cooling fan noise, it sounded like it was going to blow!

I’m considering upgrading to the 2020/21 F450, but also looking at MDT’s. I certainly understand the MDT’s are much beefier and can easily handle the weight and have better braking capabilities, but with most M2 106’s at 350 hp and ~1,000 torque, will it give me anything extra going up the grades compared to the F450?

I seems to me, a M2 112 would be the best choice, since it has similar HP to the F450, but a lot more torque. I’m open to ideas.

Thanks
I test drove a used 2004 that had a Cat C7 rated at 300 hp , sport truck upgrade. The ride was much better then my 2020 GMC crew 3500 ! It had air ride cab , air ride rear, air ride seat and a soft spring in the front with 255/22.5 tires. I am not sure about as a daily driver / only car but I was ready to say Yes at $62,000 but there is NO way to finance a truck of this age without a home EQ line of credit or a documented company (commercial loan) able to claim its using it for daily use. Keep in mind this truck and most of them are geared to run about 74mph top speed . They have 4.63 rear gear ratio with a .68 overdrive and a motor that can turn 2100 rpm . Your typical pickup based truck can run much faster then that if the computer isnt limited. My point is the gear ration is much better suited for pulling then a F350/450 with 4.30 gear or 4.10 gears. The M2 turns better then my GMC 4x4 crew cab 8' bed truck and had plenty of power even at the 300hp rating this one has. get one with a air ride hitch and I think your have a great duel used grocery getter and heavy 5th wheel hauler ( but NO drive up windows at burger king).
Old 06-12-2021, 04:24 AM   #13

The f450 is a pick up truck. In theory, a class 4. M2 is an industrial truck. class 5 or 6. Zero comparison. If you are looking for pure speed while hauling , go with a class 8.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:25 AM   #14

very late to this party...
I have my CDL, and have seriously considered getting a toterhome based on an M2 chassis in the past, ultimately I put that idea on the shelf. Personally, I'd go with the MDT in this comparison. Considering what you'll have to pay for the F450 or similar, the MDT 'Business class' truck will out perform it and the price will be about the same. It won't win 'off the line', but as was mentioned before, the MDT is built for the long haul. the F450 (and I'm a Ford Truck 'guy') will also do the job, but will have to work a bit harder.

Ultimately if I were to go 'Most time' and was getting a fulltimer 5th wheel, I'd go on and get a 'lightly broken in' HDT, That's another thread and discussion however.
Hope this helps the OP.

Tags
tow