Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #1

MDT Licensing in Ontario

Hello All,

I am new to this site and I am hoping to learn some things and also share some experiences. Today I am going to shed some light on my wonderful government of Ontario's highway enforcement agency.

You need to understand I drive an MDT International Crew Cab International 4300 with a GVWR of 13000 kg which is licenced within a commercial company of my own and has hydraulic brakes, therefore as long it is not plated for over 11,000 kg you can drive with an everyday G licence. While on vacation to the east coast with my personal 33 ' fifth wheel in tow, i drove over 4000 km with no issues until I arrived at my hometown province of Ontario. While on the highway I passed by a scale with the lights on.....which I was under the opinion that i need not pull in due to an exemption of personal use. Well I was mistaken, so Im told. The officer ran me down and asked me why I did not pull into the scales, I gave him my reasoning and he told me that the truck was not a pickup and regardless of a personal fifth wheel I have to abide by all the same rules as a commercial driver: daily inspection, logbook, Class D if total load over 11,000 kg, and Class A if trailer over 4600 kg. What a PIA. Know if understand the rules....I think, here is what I am going to share:

Commercial or Personal Truck over GVWR of 6000 kg - must keep inspection and log

Exemption for Trucks with GVWR under 6000kg - therefore pull a trailer (RV) no matter of weight

RV'rs beware because newer 3500 model trucks have a GVWR over 6000kg and are subject to these rules and if you get the wrong guy like i did you could be in a mess if they pull what they did on me which was:

- degraded my commercial licence to 4500 kg for 72 hrs
- had to leave my trailer at scales since total weight of combined load was 11,330 kg and wife does not have D licence
- go back and pick up trailer next day (3 hrs each way) but get this, was no problem with me driving another truck I have which is rated at 4500 kg to pick up my trailer, ( tell me that makes sense).

Just imagine being 2-3000 km away from home and this BS happens. Hope some of you can shed some light on this situation , and if there are any ways around this.

Thank you , and thanks for have me!
County RVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #2

The LEO wasn't quite correct...I get waved in all the time to the scales because I set off the lights..I wave at them and keep going..I run a Freightliner FL60 SC that weighs in at 14K.

My trailer is under 4500K KGs so I don't need they extra cert for that.

I live in NS but run into Ontario (the DW is from there :>)..thank goodness for hwy 30 in Que

I think your problem is that you have your rig "incensed within a commercial company of my own". Hence, regardless of how you use it, it is a "commercial" vehicle...and you have to abide by the laws of commercial trucks.

Mine is registered as a camper. I have air brakes so I had to get that cert. ZERO commercial regulations apply to my rig. I insure it via my house insurance.

PM me and we can continue this conversation if you would like. Pics of your truck are always appreciated.