Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > MDT Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Too old? Too much $$$$$?

Hi folks, been lurking here for awhile. Thinking of moving up from my 1 ton dually to something a little bigger. Was wondering opinions on this truck?
They're asking $27999;

1996 Freightliner FL 60 CABRIOLET Patriot Conversion Extended Cab series with All Aluminum Diamond Plate Hauler Bed with 6 storage compartments, one of which goes across the entire 8ft width of the bed, Equipped with an electric lift to carry a small Motorcycle or scooter, hidden trailer hitch (receiver) in rear bumper.

300 HP Caterpillar 3126 turbo diesel engine, 860 ft. lbs. of Torque, with an Allison 3060MD 6- Speed Fully Automatic Transmission, Williams Exhaust brake.

Interior has grey cloth captains chairs up front, and grey cloth full length rear bench seat, tilt & telescoping steering wheel, power steering with Steer Safe option added to the front steering linkage, power windows, air conditioning, power door locks, cruise control, air ride cab, dual air horns, electric trailer brake controller, heated outside mirrors, AM/FM Cassette radio, key-less entry.

Left and right fuel tanks hidden under diamond plate aluminum truck steps, Chrome hand grab Rails on cab, 255 x 22.5", Tires: with Chrome wheel simulators, locking rear differential, Rear Air Bags, Fog Lights Located in the chrome Front Bumper.

Mountain Masters Air Ride 5th Wheel Hitch makes hauling worry free, solves the bounce and lurch problem. This amazing design protects your trailer and delivers you a comfortable ride.

This truck was used by a couple to pull their fifth wheel camping trailer and has 122,000 well maintained miles (logged, maintenance records included) Includes 2 sets of keys and all factory owners manuals.

GVWR is under 26k with hydraulic brakes NO CDL REQUIRED Truck is freshly serviced, has plenty of power, and designed to haul and stop your large 5th wheel with comfort and ease.
UpstateNYRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #2

Pics

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20786-01de9b5c.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	34399   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-13_14-15-01_212.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	34400  

Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Nice looking truck. What are you towing? You can tow a LOT with this!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #4

I'm towing a Jayco Recon 39A. Have only a golf cart in it now. GVW on trailer is 18k.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #5

Here it is....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	34404  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
pReally, what is your hesitation? Get it surveyed, completely, How are the tires? Looks very nice if it checks out A very cool ride!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
pReally, what is your hesitation? Get it surveyed, completely, How are the tires? Looks very nice if it checks out A very cool ride!
Haven't looked at it yet, hope to Saturday. There is no "book" for consumer values so I was hoping ya'll could give me an idea if the price was right or not.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #8

Yes, price is the hard one to figure out. I'd say for sure see if you can get it hooked up to a heavy trailer and test drive it. That price doesn't sound too bad to me. If you were able to test it with the trailer you could then decide if it pulls $27k better than your current truck.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #9

I lurk on a couple of HDT forums, and the first thing that comes to mind is are you ever going to have anything heavier or go full-time? An MDT was the stepping stone to an HDT for a lot of folks.
Also, will you need a CDL to drive it? The folks I know have their HDT registered as an RV, so they have a non-commercial class A.
Just my thoughts...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #10

My though is your current truck looks too small. That this used truck looks good and would look better with your trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Thats a very good price for a extended cab, that hitch is $2500, maintiance record's are worth their weight as well, big O tire shops have rear tires for $245 each, and I speak from experience here, that truck is going to tow your trailer way better than your pick up ever did, I say this because we went from a 1 ton dodge to a 1999 four door Freightliner, the one thing I dont see is an exhaust pipe (we call it a weed burner) so like a lot of our trucks it broke off at the muffler, when you test drive this truck, push the mode button twice and a red light will come on next to the mode button, you are now in quick shift mode, now get ready for a sweet ride, punch it while getting on the freeway ramp and you will be doing 75MPH before you know it, heres the draw back with the trucks, grown men will bow down to your monster truck ohh and you will have to park in the far back of the grocery store parking lots
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #12

Wow. I wouldnt hesitate! Similar rigs/toter homes are the same price but double or tripple the miles....
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

I've been casually looking for something similar. Looks good from what you've listed. Price seems to be in the ball park or maybe even a bit low. I've seen one other slightly newer similar truck listed recently for about a thousand more. If you don't get it, I'll be looking a lot more closely in a few months and that one would be near the top of the list.
V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote