Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

93 Blue Bird

I just bought my first bus that I plan to convert. I've never taken on a project this big and it seems like the more conversion videos I watch, the more overwhelming everything becomes.

I get to thinking about plans, then materials, then costs then functionality and synergy with the rest of the design.... and on and on and on.....

Any way, I was hoping to get some pointers from experienced converters. What obstacles did you face on your first conversion? If you could have gotten any advice what would you have found most useful? How do you manage the overwhelming amount of projects, costs, deadlines?

Thanks for reading! Hope to hear from you guys soon. Any questions you have of me I would love to answer
RaiderLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #2

www.busconversionmagazine.com
Old 11-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #3

You might also want to check YouTube for bus conversion or skoolie. There are several folks posting about their bus conversions. Some are pretty clueless but you will see ideas and problems.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #4

So it's pretty normal for me to feel totally overwhelmed?
Old 11-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #5

From what I have seen. sort of. Sooner or later some of the problems sink in. OTOH none are insurmountable. The way folks go about surmounting them is often different and more creative than what the RV motor home industry does. It can also be much more cost efficient as much of the expensive bling can be ignored. It really depends what your end objective is. If you do it please post pictures. Based on other build threads lot of folks here would both enjoy it and be able to feed you suggestions and encouragement. FWIW I'll give you a couple of suggestions. Buy a PEX crimper. They have come down in price to significantly less than using all shark bite connections. Figure out how to design your own electrical system. It beats buying a Yeti box. Help is available here.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #6

[Mod Edit]
How about a few pics. What engine 8v92?
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
[Mod Edit]
How about a few pics. What engine 8v92?
We are finalizing the sale in a few days and I'll have all kinds of pictures. It's the Cummins 5.9 in it.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
From what I have seen. sort of. Sooner or later some of the problems sink in. OTOH none are insurmountable. The way folks go about surmounting them is often different and more creative than what the RV motor home industry does. It can also be much more cost efficient as much of the expensive bling can be ignored. It really depends what your end objective is. If you do it please post pictures. Based on other build threads lot of folks here would both enjoy it and be able to feed you suggestions and encouragement. FWIW I'll give you a couple of suggestions. Buy a PEX crimper. They have come down in price to significantly less than using all shark bite connections. Figure out how to design your own electrical system. It beats buying a Yeti box. Help is available here.
Thanks for the pointers! I'm putting together floor plans right now.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #9

Good luck. start at the bottom, tank, plumbing, generators. wiring etc. Had a 72 gmc and a 64 gmc and a old wayne conversion, Most were okay but still needed work, Lot of satisfaction in doing it, but a lot of frustration involved. But the first time you show off your coach, well worth it.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Is this a schoolie or transit bluebird?
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Is this a schoolie or transit bluebird?
Schoolie
Old 11-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderLewis View Post
Schoolie
Schoolies are awesome for traveling off the beaten path since they have high ground clearance, but you have to get creative in dealing with your tanks without the storage compartments that highway busses have.

Best of luck and post plenty of pictures of your build.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:06 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I hope you are young and have plenty of money- this project could take a while.
A lot of campgrounds have restrictions on what type of vehicle they allow.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #14

Go to Skoolie.net
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote