Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

Curious about maintenance

Other than the BIG price tag at purchase is a Prevost any more expensive to maintain mechanically than any other 45' DP?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I wouldn't think it would be more expensive to maintain than any other 45' diesel pusher.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #3

A Prevost chassis is more complicated than a Spartan/Freightliner chassis. The pneumatic system has a lot more valves and lines than the other chassis. In addition, depending on the converter, electronics may be much more complicated. On the other hand, the Prevost chassis is built as a unit, which makes it stronger, but also maintenance access is better. You can pull the engine out of a Prevost relatively easily, a production coach manufacturer counts on the engine never having to come out. Our Affinity would have to redo fiberglass work if the engine had to come out, and a member on this forum had quite a bit of damage done to his coach when the engine needed major work. The bottom line is quality in a typical Prevost is significantly higher than a comparably price motorhome.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #4

Peralko thank you for your comments.

In your experience is a 10-15 year old Prevost going to have problems with the electronics in the conversion?

How difficult is it to find a place for routine maintenance?
Old 05-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #5

Prevost has a long list of places where you can do most maintenance on the chassis. Prevost also have repair facilities scattered around the country, where they can do pretty much anything regarding the chassis. We chose our coach partially on the basis of having both Prevost and Marathon within 300 miles from where we live. I you are considering a Prevost, getting chassis maintenance and repair is no problem. Getting service on the converter side depends on which converter. Some are out of business, such as Country Coach and American, although I'm told those coaches are fairly basic compared to other conversions, and any of the converters can probably work on them. We love the fact that we can have the factory do anything we want on our coach, and we love the coach.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #6

Again, thanks for the information. Just trying to learn what I can before I make a decision.

I also joined up on the prevostcommunity forum to read and ask more questions.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tim,

There is another dimension to bus conversations...the converter. Prevost never made an RV that I know of. These are companies with names like Outlaw and Marathon.

Like Peralko described, while the chassis/body is an OTR bus, the converter started with an empty shell (albeit a $600,000 shell). The pieces and parts used by the converter can be one-off parts or mainstream appliances. One-offs could be pricy to repair/replace.

What ever you pick...best luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #8

All good info. Just trying to do my home work before I make any decisions.

Most likely not making a purchase for a couple of years yet but when we are talking new luxury coach or used Prevost conversion money I want to make sure I've at least tried to look at all the angles.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #9

I have a 91 Foretravel Grand Villa myself.It is very simple as far as systems go.
Something I see when I look at much newer coaches is that they seem over controlled, You push a button that signals a relay to push a button that energizes a switch that turns on a light or something like that.Or a toilet that needs a vacuum motor to pull the waste to a tank somewhere else. It seems that the issues are with the subsystems not so much with the coach itself.
When these systems act up It seems the cost to find a competent technician that dosn't lolygag around at $120.00 an hr is hard to come by. Just something to consider.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #10

I can see that
Old 04-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #11

The question being is a PREVOST any more expensive to maintain?
Yes and No. First off it is a Commercial Vehicle. It was built to remain operable for two million miles. That is for a modern Prevost post 2000.
With proper PM it will give you a value for your dollar. That is considering the present economy.
You must consider who will do your work. Will it be a commercial garage or a high end RV dealership.
That PREVOST with proper PM will be operating long after RV built shells have fallen to the wayside.
There is no similarity between RV and Conversion. I am speaking of the Chassis the individual converters and proprietary builders.
Who builds and converts is again an entirely different matter.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Tim,

There is another dimension to bus conversations...the converter. Prevost never made an RV that I know of. These are companies with names like Outlaw and Marathon.

Like Peralko described, while the chassis/body is an OTR bus, the converter started with an empty shell (albeit a $600,000 shell). The pieces and parts used by the converter can be one-off parts or mainstream appliances. One-offs could be pricy to repair/replace.

What ever you pick...best luck.
Newell does not convert OTR buses, They build their chassis from scratch at their factory in Oklahoma and use the best materials possible. Marathon does convert prevost bus shells.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Newell does not convert OTR buses, They build their chassis from scratch at their factory in Oklahoma and use the best materials possible. Marathon does convert prevost bus shells.
The OP was specifically asking about a Provost. Other posters mentioned Newell.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The OP was specifically asking about a Provost. Other posters mentioned Newell.
That is why I posted, so people would not be confused. so what are you trying to say with your post?

Tags
maintenance