Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #1

Early 80s Prevost conversions

I may be crazy.but looking at an early 80s prevost country coach conversion. the basic coach looks ok but dated . I question in real world terms what is realistic fuel economy, and how reliable are the cruise air units under bus. I know I ts older but so am I. I want to have a reliable, not unreasonably expensive unit to travel in. am I looking in the wrong place? engine 8v92 mechanical and allison 5 speed
hlagooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #2

If you’re concerned about fuel efficiency, don’t buy an RV.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #3

thank you for your response but, I already own a gasser that gets about 6.5 mpg I was hoping someone with actual experience could tell me what their 8v92 mechanical rig gets in average conditions. it would be a good thing if this coach didn't suck up so much fuel that I'd leave it sit in the driveway but instead drove it for quick hops on weekends and didn't feel quilty about costs. not everyone has deep pockets but still would enjoy a dp. looking for real input
hlagooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlagooty View Post
thank you for your response but, I already own a gasser that gets about 6.5 mpg I was hoping someone with actual experience could tell me what their 8v92 mechanical rig gets in average conditions. it would be a good thing if this coach didn't suck up so much fuel that I'd leave it sit in the driveway but instead drove it for quick hops on weekends and didn't feel quilty about costs. not everyone has deep pockets but still would enjoy a dp. looking for real input
It’s gonna get between 6-8 mpg plus the amount of oil it leaks. If you want fuel efficiency you need to look at a small class b or van conversion on a sprinter or transit platform.

An 8v92 is a 738 cubic inch 2 stroke engine. It’s not fuel efficient. If you can’t afford fuel, you’re probably going to have a hard time repairing a 40 year old bus.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #5

hlagooty, from my Prevost owning experience and reading, those engines get about 5.0-5.5 mpg.

Not to steer people away from this excellent RV site but its not really Prevost based. You need to join 'www.prevostcommunity.com' to find ALL of what you need to know. The site is free but you have to join as they don't want spammers.

If the coach your talking about has been maintained, that will be a major plus. But if it has been sitting, plan on big bucks to bring it up to snuff!

You didn't mention if you have the ability to do any of the chassis work yourself that WILL be needed, if not, I would probably shy away from an older coach because parts and knowledgable mechanics get scarce as they age.

There are company's that can and will rebuild cruise-air's. The problem with cruise-air's is that they don't work wonderfully when the ground is hot. People report that they will run water on top of the pavement where the cruise-air pick-up air return is located so that cooler air is pulled in. I had 4 roof-top units that work much better and are less finicky.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #6

If you are worried about fuel mileage find a new hobby. The 8v92 is an awesome engine. More power than you can use.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion